• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darvish to the Cubs

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit the quote button before the edit was in, or I didn't see it one.

Seems like the latter
But that shit don't matter

*Drops mic, puts your name on the single, shares Grammy*

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be argumentative but I think there are 2 ways of looking at this.
For the rest of the division catching up this year, this is the 500-pound gorilla that the Cubs need to stay in first place. Whatever that means to the back end of the contract seems pretty much like 'who gives a fuck' to us Reds fans who saw that chance to creep up just get washed down the river with one signing.

I don't get the fan attitude about the value of a contract when the top 4 or 5 teams will continue to dictate the league standings because they can afford to have a 'bad back end of a contract.'
Darvish, if he pitches, is worth 3 or 4 wins to this team.

I get that. It's really a move that the Cubs can do, and probably should do, but the Twins could not and should not.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid player for now. Still he's 32 this year so that could end up being a bad deal towards the end.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid player for now. Still he's 32 this year so that could end up being a bad deal towards the end.
Also a TJ survivor.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Arrieta to continue to slide. I’d rather have Yu.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your standards for "meh" might just be far far higher than mine. I don't see Darvish's 2014 as a "meh" level season at all and I think you're expecting too much from starters if you do.

Edit: nevermind, I was reading your comment as if it was about Darvish. That's my mistake.

He was talking about Arrieta.

I acknowledged my mistake in the post you quoted. It seemed... I don't know, I can't think of a good adjective to describe what deleting it entirely seemed like to me. Should I have done that instead?

I hit the quote button before the edit was in, or I didn't see it one.
"I was wrong!"

"No, I was wrong! I'm so sorry!"

Get a room, homos.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also a TJ survivor.

That might be a benefit as it saved him about 1.5 years of abuse (and Japanese pitchers in particular are abused like crazy before coming over here).

There are only so many bullets in a given arm.

Japanese pitchers have terrible track records after about year 3 in the big leagues, so the fact that darvish has made it this far makes him a rather large outlier (same with Kuroda), but it's still likely this implodes at some point.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Arrieta to continue to slide. I’d rather have Yu.

Not sure about that given Darvish's injury history....Arietta's lowest # of starts in the past 4 seasons is 25 (with 3 of them being 30+)....Darvish by comparison has started more than 22 games in just 1 of the past 4 seasons.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Cobb is going to be a very interesting signing.

Seems he lost one of his better pitches after TJ.

Could be a real bargain signing him now and having him find it during this next contract.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Cobb is going to be a very interesting signing.

Seems he lost one of his better pitches after TJ.

Could be a real bargain signing him now and having him find it during this next contract.

I think Cobb's a better bet than Lynn. Lynn's 3.42 ERA way outperformed his peripherals (4.82 FIP and 4.75 xFIP) and his strikeout rate fell off a cliff midseason (8.2 K/9 in first half, 6.4 in 2nd).

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about that given Darvish's injury history....Arietta's lowest # of starts in the past 4 seasons is 25 (with 3 of them being 30+)....Darvish by comparison has started more than 22 games in just 1 of the past 4 seasons.
Yeah, anybody can get injured though. At full strength, Yu Darvish is a top arm in the league. Arrieta May have pitched more innings, but you’d be giving him a big contract for diminishing skills. I honestly believe Arrieta is going down a path where he will barely even be worthy of an mlb starting spot in a year or two. Darvish May get hurt, but I see him as more talented right now and most likely for the remainder of his contract. I’d rather have an injury prone stud, then an over paid useless starter.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, anybody can get injured though. At full strength, Yu Darvish is a top arm in the league. Arrieta May have pitched more innings, but you’d be giving him a big contract for diminishing skills. I honestly believe Arrieta is going down a path where he will barely even be worthy of an mlb starting spot in a year or two. Darvish May get hurt, but I see him as more talented right now and most likely for the remainder of his contract. I’d rather have an injury prone stud, then an over paid useless starter.

But Darvish gets injured a lot (not like it was a one-time injury), and those injuries were during the years he should've been at peak strength.If Darvish misses half a season with an injury, isn't he useless for all those games missed?

And you're jumping to the conclusion that Arietta will be useless while Darvish won't...if you look at Darvish's last 4 seasons played, his ERA has gone up each season. So if you're going to use a declining trend against Arietta, why not Darvish?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Darvish gets injured a lot (not like it was a one-time injury), and those injuries were during the years he should've been at peak strength.If Darvish misses half a season with an injury, isn't he useless for all those games missed?

And you're jumping to the conclusion that Arietta will be useless while Darvish won't...if you look at Darvish's last 4 seasons played, his ERA has gone up each season. So if you're going to use a declining trend against Arietta, why not Darvish?

If you exclude the time missed for the TJ surgery he's averaged 28.5 starts in the other 4 seasons. That seems pretty good and pretty manageable to me.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his ERA's gone up the last few years, but so has offense across the league (the league ERA has gone up from 3.96 to 4.36 since 2015) and a 3.86 ERA is still very good for someone pitching half their games in Arlington. He's still had a K/9 above 10 in every one of his MLB seasons (though it did dip from 11.8 to 10.1, but 10.1 is still elite) and he's had a very manageable walk rate (hovering around 2.8 each of the last two years). He was hurt by home runs last year, but moving out of Arlington might help.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu Darvish is done for the season after an MRI showed a stress reaction on the tip of his right elbow and a strain in his right triceps.

Darvish was sent for the MRI after leaving his rehab start Sunday at Low-A South Bend after pitching just one inning. Signed to a six-year, $126 million free agent contract over the winter, the 32-year-old right-hander made only eight starts for Chicago this season, to the tune of a 4.95 ERA and 1.43 WHIP. He should be ready for the beginning of spring training next February and will look to hit the reset button on his Cubs tenure

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu Darvish is done for the season after an MRI showed a stress reaction on the tip of his right elbow and a strain in his right triceps.

Darvish was sent for the MRI after leaving his rehab start Sunday at Low-A South Bend after pitching just one inning. Signed to a six-year, $126 million free agent contract over the winter, the 32-year-old right-hander made only eight starts for Chicago this season, to the tune of a 4.95 ERA and 1.43 WHIP. He should be ready for the beginning of spring training next February and will look to hit the reset button on his Cubs tenure

Twins dodged a bullet on that one.

tenor.gif

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a six year deal, and I could see him still having strong years with the cubs. Hopefully Hamels keeps killing it.

I am still feeling buyers remorse though.