1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darrell Bevell fired

Discussion in 'Seattle Seahawks' started by WizardHawk, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:33 AM.

1. WizardHawk

WizardHawk Outside Obstructor

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 6,575

Reports coming in that OC Darrell Bevell has been fired.
    Report: Darrell Bevell fired as offensive coordinator of the Seahawks

Looks like a lot of you got what you wished for.

Came from Crabtree so take it for what it's worth. No official announcement yet. I mean Curtis is close to the team, but he's a KJR hack mostly so...

2. WizardHawk

WizardHawk Outside Obstructor

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 6,575

Oh god no. No freaking way. Hell no. NO.

:tsk:

• Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  3. Podunkparte

Podunkparte 12 > 49

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

We all saw what he did with the Falcons offense...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. dude82

dude82 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Honestly, this is for the best if it's true. The Seahawks offense, overall, has been statistically good to very good during most of Bevell's time here but it can be argued pretty convincingly that the players, particularly the skill players, have more to do with that than anything. I think the habit of slow starts just became too hard to continue putting up with and the complete failure of the running game is probably what sealed the deal if this report is true.

As far as Sarkisian being the one to take over... as a Husky fan, I'm torn on that. I'd like to see him succeed if he takes over as Seahawks offensive coordinator because I want to see the Seahawks do well. I just don't know if we can trust that he has really put his personal problems behind him. It certain doesn't help that his time in Seattle with the Huskies ended badly. If he's hired, I think the best we can hope for is that a reunion with Carroll will set him straight. He's a good offensive coach, so I'm not particularly worried about that aspect of it.

This report does raise the issue, in my mind and I'm sure in the minds of other Hawks fans, of what's going to happen with Cable. He's an assistant head coach in addition to his role as offensive line coach, so firing Bevell doesn't necessarily mean that Cable is out too, but it's really hard to look at the problems with the offense and not hold him responsible for the aspects he's in charge of, so the excitement of having a new coordinator would be dampened if Cable was kept around. Then again, maybe whatever say that Cable had in the offensive linemen we picked up in previous years would be diminished or taken away if he was kept on-board.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Podunkparte

Podunkparte 12 > 49

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

My problem with Sark has nothing to do with his substance abuse issues or how he left UW; Look at what happened to the high powered Falcons offense after Kyle Shanahan left and Sark took over. They were awful. Julio Jones, one of the top 5 WRs in the league had 1 incredible game for 2 TDs. Otherwise he had 1 the rest of the regular season! Double digit receptions 1 time.

Now imagine what happens with an offense that is much different, revolving around a mobile QB, with a great though completely different style WR.

No thank you.

6. HaroldSeattle

HaroldSeattle Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Level 3

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,828

Was never impressed with the offense Sark ran with the Huskies. So that he might become Seahawks OC seems crazy. I blamed him for not developing Jake Locker his senor year, instead Jake regressed. This is a depressing development.
    For all you Bevell haters, you should of been careful what you wished for.:mad2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. HaroldSeattle

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,828

The article says Tee Martin is a candidate also......:hope:

8. HaroldSeattle

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,828

A terrible thought just occurred to me...suppose they make Cable OC....

• Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  9. Podunkparte

Podunkparte 12 > 49

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

[​IMG]

10. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 500

That was my first thought as well.

I'm fine with Bevell leaving but it seems to me that Cable was the one primarily responsible for the OL and the running game and they were the biggest problem. That Bevell is being fired and, so far, Cable is not is a little concerning to me.

• Like Like x 4
  11. flyerhawk

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 500

Ultimately, I would prefer that the Seahawks bring in a young creative playcaller than an established guy like Sarkisian or Turner or Shula.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Podunkparte

Podunkparte 12 > 49

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Big fan of "creative" when it comes to OC, which isn't to say Bevell didn't have his moments. I loved a few things they did with McCissick this year. However, I'd love an old school, non-zone blocking scheme O line coach to go with it. How difficult is it to assign a block, stick it, and hang on for more than 2 seconds while our MVP does his creative thing?

13. flyerhawk

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 500

I thought Bevell was a good coach for us. Our offensive struggles were always based on the same thing, the OL doing its job.

I don't care if we use zone blocking or road graders. As long as they do their freaking job.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Podunkparte

Podunkparte 12 > 49

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I agree. Posted this on the general page

15. JMR

JMR Go Army!

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

This will make all sorts of armchair OCs happy, but I'm not jumping for joy or anything. I think Cable is more the problem. Hopefully whoever replaces Bevell can figure out the OL issues. I don't think "playcalling" is the magic elixir.

• Like Like x 3
    • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. flyerhawk

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 500

Playcalling is what fans focus on but it is rarely the problem. The 2005 Seahawks pretty much did the same thing on 3rd and 2 every single time. And it worked, every single time. The Panthers this year were pretty much unstoppable on very short yardage because Cam is a monster.

Execution matters more than play calling. And for whatever reason the Seahawks OK is incapable of executing. That is either because of poor choices in talent or poor coaching of the players.

17. Podunkparte

Podunkparte 12 > 49

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I agree, so let's hope Pete and John have someone in mind who is a fine OC while also a better offensive line coach than "the guru."

18. Seahawks_3

Seahawks_3 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

It can be debated on whether Bevell was the right guy for the OC position, but the air that is cleared now is his one yard blunder in the SB that has lingered ever since. We needed to hit the reset button for locker room clarity, and hopefully this recharges the offense in some way; although I feel Cable is the bigger problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DHoey

DHoey Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,775

This move only makes sense if they fire Cable as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Sharkonabicycle

Sharkonabicycle Bipedal Sea Dog

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,010

I honestly went to the same place.... :fear: