• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dark Horse Teams who might jump up and be somebody/2018/in order/by conference

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC - Boston College: Addazio is one of the most underrated coaches in the nation. AJ Dillon is a monster at RB. This is going to sound funny, but the 9/22 game at Purdue could actually be a reasonably big game, as the winner could jump into the top 25.

Big 12 - Iowa State: I think they make another jump this year, even with the loss of Allan Lazard. Campbell is a fantastic young coach and Oklahoma/WVU are at home. 9 wins is a real possibility, and 10 isn't impossible.

Big Ten - Purdue: Brohm is shooting up the coach rankings after a 7 win season in 2017. He even stole a 4* recruit from Texas. The schedule isn't easy, but 8 wins isn't outside of the realm of possibility, which is insane for Purdue.

Pac 12 - Arizona: I like what they have to offer, and Sumlin will have success with the offensive players. They should improve on the 7-6 record from 2017. 9-3 is a real possibility.

SEC - Florida: Free from the shackles of the offensively-inept Jim McElwain, I think they make a jump this year. The talent is there, and outside of UGA, the SEC East is still not great. I fully expect them to double their 2017 win total of 4.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 - Iowa State: I think they make another jump this year, even with the loss of Allan Lazard. Campbell is a fantastic young coach and Oklahoma/WVU are at home. 9 wins is a real possibility, and 10 isn't impossible.

They lost their entire team to graduation.
True story.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC - no idea but look to see FSU substantially improve.
SEC - South Carolina I think has the best shot to surprise they have a proven QB.
B1G - Purdue could be a surprise.
Big12 - West Virginia maybe.
PAC - Arizona will be fun to watch.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They lost their entire team to graduation.
True story.
Actually, I'm not sure if you're serious.

They bring Kyle Kempt back at QB, which is huge.

1100+ yard RB David Montgomery also returns.

They lose Lazard, but 2nd leading receiver Hakeem Butler and his 17 YPC is back. They also bring in 4* freshman Joseph Scates, who will add depth and a big body to help in the RZ at 6'3".

Both offensive and defensive lines return several key veterans, and they return 2/3 LBs and 2/4 defensive backs.

What are you talking about??

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the annual "florida is finally going to be good this year" talk :dhd:

At least we don't have to hear a bunch of Tennessee hype too

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the annual "florida is finally going to be good this year" talk :dhd:

At least we don't have to hear a bunch of Tennessee hype too
giphy.gif

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would take Arizona, Utah and oregon over either UCLA or ASU
You had me with Zona over ASU (Edwards? Really?), but you kind of lost me on the rest of that.

Fact: UCLA has the second highest rated depth in terms of recruiting rankings over the last 5 years in the Pac. There's a lot in that cupboard. Do I think they come in and dominate in year 1? No, but to dismiss it would be foolish. They have athletes.

Yes, the ducks also have quite a few in their depth chart as well, but I'm really not buying crystal ball. Herbert is a threat for sure, but until that defense does something half way decent I'm not buying a thing from them. Period.

Utah is Utah. When was the last time they did anything noteworthy? Right, before they joined the Pac. Do they have a decent QB yet?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had me with Zona over ASU (Edwards? Really?), but you kind of lost me on the rest of that.

Fact: UCLA has the second highest rated depth in terms of recruiting rankings over the last 5 years in the Pac. There's a lot in that cupboard. Do I think they come in and dominate in year 1? No, but to dismiss it would be foolish. They have athletes.

Yes, the ducks also have quite a few in their depth chart as well, but I'm really not buying crystal ball. Herbert is a threat for sure, but until that defense does something half way decent I'm not buying a thing from them. Period.

Utah is Utah. When was the last time they did anything noteworthy? Right, before they joined the Pac. Do they have a decent QB yet?
UCLA- Rosen gone. Chip kelly in style big difference. People say he will adjust to the players he has but Chip does what chip wants. and you wanna keep bagging on the Duck defense, Oregon finished 46th in total D last year(which by the way from 2016 is more than half way better and with 130 teams better than half that way too) UCLA finished 122 out of 130. last in the PAC and worst among P5 schools. UCLA 116th in scoring defense. Oregon wasnt much better but was better at 81st.
also consider schedule. Oregons doesn't appear as challenging.

Utah since joining the Pac (7seasons) has two 9 win seasons and a 10 win season. they have basically been right in the middle of the conference in terms of in conference win %.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA- Rosen gone. Chip kelly in style big difference. People say he will adjust to the players he has but Chip does what chip wants. and you wanna keep bagging on the Duck defense, Oregon finished 46th in total D last year(which by the way from 2016 is more than half way better and with 130 teams better than half that way too) UCLA finished 122 out of 130. last in the PAC and worst among P5 schools. UCLA 116th in scoring defense. Oregon wasnt much better but was better at 81st.

Utah since joining the Pac (7seasons) has two 9 win seasons and a 10 win season. they have basically been right in the middle of the conference in terms of in conference win %.
I did say I didn't expect UCLA to dominate in Kelly's first year, I simply said you can't ignore they do have depth of talent so to say it's impossible would be foolish. Still unexpected though.

You want to brag on the ducks D improving, but they aren't anywhere near where they need to be for the purposes of this thread. I don't care if you are 70th or 110th or whatever. It isn't strong enough to be a 'dark horse who might jump up and be somebody' IMO. They will win some big games, but I also expect they will lose several that keep them down below Stanford in the north. Your team lost all of it's moxie when Chip left and hasn't found 40% of what it had since he left. Without it they aren't rising back to the top again.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yes, Utah has been consistent. However they still haven't ever won the south and USC right now looks too solid to dethrone and without that next step they aren't somebody either. Another 9 or 10 wins is a nice little season for them. Nothing more.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did say I didn't expect UCLA to dominate in Kelly's first year, I simply said you can't ignore they do have depth of talent so to say it's impossible would be foolish. Still unexpected though.

You want to brag on the ducks D improving, but they aren't anywhere near where they need to be for the purposes of this thread. I don't care if you are 70th or 110th or whatever. It isn't strong enough to be a 'dark horse who might jump up and be somebody' IMO. They will win some big games, but I also expect they will lose several that keep them down below Stanford in the north. Your team lost all of it's moxie when Chip left and hasn't found 40% of what it had since he left. Without it they aren't rising back to the top again.
Not bragging on the defense just saying you bagging on it when 110+ to 46 is significant by any measure. no one goes from 110+ to elite in a year.
All i was saying is for the purposes of this thread in the Pac I see more faults in those the op picked, UCLA and ASU, than i do in schools like Oregon, AZ and Utah.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the SEC East is going to be nearly as bad as it was last year which kind of eliminates the dark horse potential coming from there, imo. I think you're just going to have Georiga and then a bunch of fringe bowl teams and Vandy at the bottom.

RoyUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 71,368.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is better than Browning decent?
Football Statistics

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the SEC East is going to be nearly as bad as it was last year which kind of eliminates the dark horse potential coming from there, imo. I think you're just going to have Georiga and then a bunch of fringe bowl teams and Vandy at the bottom.
Outside of Georgia it couldn’t get much worse.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm listing one :

Texas A&M

I believe Jimbo and company could be a pain in the arse for some SEC teams this year

LOL not with the roster they have

SERIOUS questions on the OL, QB, LB and DB

The defense is going to be PUTRID.