• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dan Wetzel on the CFB playoff: Why does it have to be so complicated?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports writer Dan Wetzel, famous for writing the book, "Death to the BCS," recently came out with an article, about the new selection committee and the politics surrounding it. Here's some of the important passages, and with my commentary attached to it:

Whatever debates people will have on October 28 will almost assuredly be sorted out during the next six weeks of the season. Yes, we really like that currently 7-0 team but when they finish the season 9-3, what exactly was the point of discussing them in the first place? And why did we subject ourselves to getting blasted for under or overvaluing a team when assigning any value at that moment offered zero benefit?

The committee should meet once, in December, the day after all the games are played and all the available data is in and, in truth, opinions, friendships, rivalries and voting coalitions haven't been formed via weeks and weeks of meetings and pointless polls.
My thoughts exactly. It's wasted energy. All what matters is what happens AFTER rival and conference championship week.

The best playoff available to college football has eight teams in it, with automatic bids given to the champions of the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC. That gives everyone in a major conference a chance to pay its way in. If you don't win your conference, you can't truly complain.
The three at-large spots will go to great teams that didn't win their league, independents and party crashers from outside the big five.
Play the first two rounds on campus and use seeding to reward the great clubs with home-field advantage. Let the sport's great stadiums and gameday environments shine, rather than antiseptic bowl sites.

I too would like to see an 8-team playoff, and one where you put the first two rounds on campus sites, and the final round on one of the six BCS Bowl sites. That would make total sense, and would still maintain the elite stature of the Cotton, Fiesta, Orange, Peach, Rose, and Sugar bowls. As for the Big 5 autobid idea, I like that as well, but I could also go for the committee picking 8 teams regardless of conference affiliation.