• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dad you might want to say goodbye..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To peek into the present... all one has to do is see what A&M did to Bama's defense last year. Look at what they did to Bama's defense this year.

While one may say Saban made half-time adjustments last year, they still were not able to consistently shut them down.

In today's game, there is still the need for good... sound... fundamental defense. Making just enough plays... may be the difference maker going forward.

As many predicted, the college game is spilling over to the NFL. It has become a pass heavy league.

Everything goes in trends...

We have reached today's era....

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the next trend you will see accorss the board will be the 3-3-5 or the Baylor 4-2-5, it makes more sense to have more speed on the field when everyone is going up tempo.

I know I am in the minority on this, but I really wanted to see the 3-3-5 stay at WVU and what it could do with a higher level recruit...then again we give a 3-3-5 look every now and then so i get to see a glimsp.

Eventually it will shift back, everyone will be high tempo and some coach will manage the ground and pound game and slow everyone way down....these things always have cycles.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to the days of 21-20 games....I thought this was a very good article talking about some of the things we hit on yeterday...defense in college football even in the mighty SEC is being overran by these new offenses....even if we would run DH out of town, there is more probability we would hire someone who would run the same or like version of this offense.

mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/23984200/baylor-speed-from-practice-field-to-game-day-is-catching-on-fast

Good read, DC, I think there is more than just offensive gameplanning that defenses are fighting, almost every rule that has been changed favors the offense. I think we will see a resurgence of defense one day, someone will figure out how to stop them, just as Leavitt always had the ticket to stop Fraud's offense. I am excited to see our new found defense against the Baylor offense, neither unit has faced a stronger opposing unit so far. I HOPE our defenders are as good as they have played and can get in the QBs face, and I HOPE that Baylor's offense is not as good as weve seen against weak teams!!!!! I do not like 70-63 football, BUT I can deal with it as long as WVU has the 70.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the next trend you will see accorss the board will be the 3-3-5 or the Baylor 4-2-5, it makes more sense to have more speed on the field when everyone is going up tempo.

I know I am in the minority on this, but I really wanted to see the 3-3-5 stay at WVU and what it could do with a higher level recruit...then again we give a 3-3-5 look every now and then so i get to see a glimsp.

Eventually it will shift back, everyone will be high tempo and some coach will manage the ground and pound game and slow everyone way down....these things always have cycles.
:agree::agree: DC, I think the 3-3-5 of Casteel can stop these spreads as well as any other base defense. The smaller, faster guys on the field are more able to adapt and catch the play. I want to see Arizona over the next three years that has basically our entire staff from the Fraud era, how they do against some of the best spread teams in the nation with Casteel's defense.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just went to check on their stats as of today:

29th overall defense
They were looking good until they played Washington last week and got beat up on the ground giving up 244 yards...couple more years and he should have them in a good position.

57th against the rush
26th against the pass

Opponents:
North Arizona 35-0 W
UNLV 58-13 W
UTSA 38-13 W
Washington 13-31 L

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To peek into the present... all one has to do is see what A&M did to Bama's defense last year. Look at what they did to Bama's defense this year.

While one may say Saban made half-time adjustments last year, they still were not able to consistently shut them down.

In today's game, there is still the need for good... sound... fundamental defense. Making just enough plays... may be the difference maker going forward.

As many predicted, the college game is spilling over to the NFL. It has become a pass heavy league.

Everything goes in trends...

We have reached today's era....
:agree:Sound and fundamental is absolutely correct, BB, I think that is one way that the spread offense is so effective... Instead of playing their position, the defenders react.... I saw a few LSU games when honey badger was there, and the most effective offense was when the other team played to where HB was SUPPOSED to be!!!!! He was so athletic that he tried to catch the play from outside his position, did not play disciplined defense at all.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC,

I agree with you that speed on defense is critical to defending the offenses of today.

There are traits of the stack defense which have merit. As you said, the 3-4 that WVU is currently running can easily morph to a 5 DB set.

Communication is so important.

I really like what Patterson is doing with his defense. Different guys coming on the blitz. Some man with cover 2. Some zone.

There is still a vulnerability in the middle against this year's defense, but the pressure has increased.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it before and still believe it, the Big12 and PAC are set up perfectly for the new trends and rule changes that benefit the offense moving forward. The SEC takes its football seriously (obviously) and will adapt very quickly IMO but we have a leg up on those that still think its gonna be 3yards and a cloud of dust. I LIKE those type of teams too don't get me wrong but the tide has turned.

jgb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well WVUDAD misses old time football and I am sure he misses Bed Time Stories with Mommy

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not fond of the high scores either, but as I have found in many of the facets from my youth, things have changed, attitudes have changed. I just started looking into the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5 defenses, and their ability to put a dent in these new high powered spread offenses. Could it be that we saw a glimpse of the offense that we will soon have the talent to operate, in the Orange Bowl. In my opinion, that was a bit of the pro west coast spread, but if I'm reading things correctly, that assumption is incorrect.

In the 3-3-5, can anyone tell me, are the lineman huge, or mobile, or a mixture of both? Are the linebackers more of the size of corner backs? It would seem they would have to be to battle the offensive speed, any other thoughts?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not fond of the high scores either, but as I have found in many of the facets from my youth, things have changed, attitudes have changed. I just started looking into the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5 defenses, and their ability to put a dent in these new high powered spread offenses. Could it be that we saw a glimpse of the offense that we will soon have the talent to operate, in the Orange Bowl. In my opinion, that was a bit of the pro west coast spread, but if I'm reading things correctly, that assumption is incorrect.

In the 3-3-5, can anyone tell me, are the lineman huge, or mobile, or a mixture of both? Are the linebackers more of the size of corner backs? It would seem they would have to be to battle the offensive speed, any other thoughts?
Jim, best I can remember they were preferred to be smaller and faster, I will look at some rosters when I get home and check guys sizes for sure.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim, best I can remember they were preferred to be smaller and faster, I will look at some rosters when I get home and check guys sizes for sure.
So much for memory, I just looked them up, Scooter Berry, Neild, Dykes and them, were ALL close to 300 pounders.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for memory, I just looked them up, Scooter Berry, Neild, Dykes and them, were ALL close to 300 pounders.
Looks like our DLmen average about 275 now, so Casteel's guys were bigger up front.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to the days of 21-20 games....I thought this was a very good article talking about some of the things we hit on yeterday...defense in college football even in the mighty SEC is being overran by these new offenses....even if we would run DH out of town, there is more probability we would hire someone who would run the same or like version of this offense.

mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/23984200/baylor-speed-from-practice-field-to-game-day-is-catching-on-fast
DC, anymore I go to quite a few Div 3 games, you know, where the hot dogs and cokes are still affordable!!!! there are several in the area here, OWU, Denison, Kenyon, MT Union. and even at that level the scores have been inching upward. With our HS team here it is hard to judge, because of so many miss matches, where the Pacers either win 50-7 or lose 49-14.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, anymore I go to quite a few Div 3 games, you know, where the hot dogs and cokes are still affordable!!!! there are several in the area here, OWU, Denison, Kenyon, MT Union. and even at that level the scores have been inching upward. With our HS team here it is hard to judge, because of so many miss matches, where the Pacers either win 50-7 or lose 49-14.

Where is anything affordable these days?

Yeah most of the teams down here are starting the run the spread in HS, even Dematha is going to it from what I hear. Times a changing.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking some of the guys at work, and they said in their schools there are a variety of offenses being played. Guys who live right in Columbus and some of the bigger suburbs say theirs are still mostly playing Woody ball, but guys in smaller outlying schools say they see some spread going on, so I guess around here it truly is a mirror of college ball.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is anything affordable these days?

Yeah most of the teams down here are starting the run the spread in HS, even Dematha is going to it from what I hear. Times a changing.
OWU gets $2 for a dog, and a buck for a coke!!!! Compared to $5 for a bottle of WATER at the Shoe!!!!!!