• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D-Rose evaluating his career

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said or thought of Luke as a intelligent player. He was quite athletic until his back started giving out.

:wtf:

You and literally, the entire rest of the civilized world, have completely different definitions of athletic.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point. MEDIOCRE Player At the best but made a great coach. You can't always determine or predict who will be a good coach and who won't. At this point what Rose can do is all speculation

No. It's actually pretty clear on whom could turn out to be a good coach later on. Athleticism and talent don't factor into coaching at all. That's why Magic said he could never be a coach. He knew he was just more talented and that normal players wouldn't be able to see what he sees.

As @tlance pointed out, coaches have to be smart and have a certain aptitude to make it in the industry; along with an impeccable work ethic. Rose couldn't even pass an SAT on his own. Rose wouldn't make a good coach. I'm willing to bet a year-long avatar should that ever present itself. Walton and Rose shouldn't be lumped into the same category, like.......at all. Luke Walton is nowhere near as athletic as Rose is/was.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point. MEDIOCRE Player At the best but made a great coach. You can't always determine or predict who will be a good coach and who won't. At this point what Rose can do is all speculation

You aren't getting my point.

Playing ability is mostly irrelevant for coaches. It is their knowledge and ability to communicate to players that matters.

Luke Walton showed he had a high basketball IQ with his play, so the fact that he is a decent coach should not surprise anybody. Rose does not seem like a very intelligent person, so it would shock me if he becomes a successful coach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke was a bit player every year the Lakers had any semblance of talent. He only averaged over 20 minutes per game twice in his career.

Exactly. When the Shaq/Kobe Lakers would get out of sync, Phil would put Luke in because he knew the offense inside and out. He learned it faster than anyone who ever played for Phil.

Phil would put Luke in, Luke would get the offense back on track and then Phil would take him out.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Playing ability is mostly irrelevant for coaches. It is their knowledge and ability to communicate to players that matters.

Luke Walton showed he had a high basketball IQ with his play, so the fact that he is a decent coach should not surprise anybody. Rose does not seem like a very intelligent person, so it would shock me if he becomes a successful coach.

Riley was merely a role player on a Lakers title team. Phil Jackson the same for the Knicks. Popovich didn't even make it to the NBA as a player and only played while in the military. Spoelstra made it as far as college. Brad Stevens had to bank on going to a great academic university because he knew he didn't have the athletic ability to make it in the NBA.

These are merely examples of past greats as well as current good HCs that weren't great or even decent players. The only guy that seems to have worked out as a really good player and transitioning over to head coach well is Jason Kidd. But he was your quintessential floor general and didn't have the athleticism that Rose did.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. When the Shaq/Kobe Lakers would get out of sync, Phil would put Luke in because he knew the offense inside and out. He learned it faster than anyone who ever played for Phil.

Phil would put Luke in, Luke would get the offense back on track and then Phil would take him out.

I forgot he was on the Lakers during the Shaq/Kobe era.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The formula seems to be, the worse the player, the better the coach. lol

Yes, for the most part this is true.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The formula seems to be, the worse the player, the better the coach. lol

Man......I'd need a Brnks truck for all the rings I'd bring in then. I'm pretty sure some would say I'm mildly sucking at basketball.

Jumpman98

GO Broncos-Yankees-Bulls-ND Fighting Irish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time to hang those sneakers up. Sign a one day contract and retire as a Bull. Chill out at home and count your money. If he wants to get into coaching or learn the business of the front office, then that's fine as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, for the most part this is true.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it.

Absolutely. Guys like Luke make it to the NBA because of how well they know the game, not because of their overwhelming talent.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well its gotta be pretty damn frustrating to get injured during your peak seasons than damn near every season thereafter. What you can say? The guy is injury prone. Will always love Rose though. Most guys who went through fucking both knees up within 2-3 season than other issues would have no choice but to call it quits. He still has put up good numbers the last few seasons despite hardly playing. Shows the talent he truly is. Great player. Damn shame injuries gobbled him up.

Once the knees go thats it however. Still The fact he still is a 14-15 ppg player despite two bad wheels shows his crazy talent.

If he said healthy theres no telling just how great he would have been. The season he hit was hitting his peak and the 3 ball was coming along heading into the post season, was the start of something special then the knees go.

And Never said he was gonna be GOAT or something crazy like that :L Top 10 all time was possible though before injuries hit. Youngest MVP ever and just getting better. We don't know what his ceiling was really as his peak was cut short right before it hit. He was crazy getting to the rim and his shot was beginning to look very good as was the 3 ball.

At the end of the day, who knows though.. We never got to see peak years for Rose so its all just conjecture. I think he would have been one of the all time greats. Injuries fucking suck. They have ruined the career of many would be all time elite talents like Grant Hill and Penny now Rose

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with you. I think Rose has showed some intelligence and good instinct on the court - Now that does not mean he can translate what he did for the Bulls before being injured all of the time into being a good coach - but first he has to decide if he wants to be a coach, then he has to hook up as an assistant and see if he can develop into a good coach. We all might be surprised and I'm not saying that he will do that - I'm just saying it is possible. No one can say it's impossible, but I simply don't think Derek Rose is as stupid as you say. I haven't seen any links or evidence to demonstrate that

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man......I'd need a Brnks truck for all the rings I'd bring in then. I'm pretty sure some would say I'm mildly sucking at basketball.
It does seem like that's the way it is though - I agree that that Derek Rose being a head coach some day may be unlikely, but I don't agree that it's guaranteed that happens.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. It's actually pretty clear on whom could turn out to be a good coach later on. Athleticism and talent don't factor into coaching at all. That's why Magic said he could never be a coach. He knew he was just more talented and that normal players wouldn't be able to see what he sees.

As @tlance pointed out, coaches have to be smart and have a certain aptitude to make it in the industry; along with an impeccable work ethic. Rose couldn't even pass an SAT on his own. Rose wouldn't make a good coach. I'm willing to bet a year-long avatar should that ever present itself. Walton and Rose shouldn't be lumped into the same category, like.......at all. Luke Walton is nowhere near as athletic as Rose is/was.
I would be highly interested in what Derek Rose has actually done to demonstrate that he couldn't be a good coach.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

You and literally, the entire rest of the civilized world, have completely different definitions of athletic.
Whatever - Time will tell. I doubt that Rose becomes a coach myself, but that doesn't mean it can't happen and it doesn't mean he couldn't ever be an assistant coach like Brian Shaw was for quite a few years.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose will finish collecting his Adidas deal somehow. I doubt he will have to resort to coaching. Never sounded like a great job to me anyways. I would rather be playing

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be highly interested in what Derek Rose has actually done to demonstrate that he couldn't be a good coach.

Well, for one basic education seems to be lacking. Two, he doesn't have great court vision or ever be known for his high basketball IQ. The only guy in the league right now that is a high profile player that could probably be a decent coach is Lebron. But given his status and where he's likely headed after basketball, I highly doubt he'd consider coaching.

You keep asking what he's done that demonstrates he wouldn't be a good coach; we've given that to you. What has he done that demonstrates he'd be a successful coach?