• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the roster...

Why was Fed X DFA’d and Roberto Gomez kept? Gomez is a complete waste of a 40 spot.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Moore was official before the season ended and Sandoval was a default unless they released him.

I think it was implied about Moore, much like Bumgarner was obviously going to be picked up, but they couldn't officially announce it until today.

As for Sandoval, he had a team option for this season and has one for next season as well.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was implied about Moore, much like Bumgarner was obviously going to be picked up, but they couldn't officially announce it until today.

As for Sandoval, he had a team option for this season and has one for next season as well.
Interesting. Maybe Baseball Reference isn't the best to view contract information, but they had Moore's option picked up well before yesterday. I thought that the team announced it before the season was over as well. Sandoval is listed as released from his current contract, but that one is so confusing to me that I'll trust that he has two team options. Weird that Baseball Reference doesn't list that as such, which makes me wonder if they aren't the best to look at for contract information.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Sandoval “options” are unique to him. I don’t ever remember a player in his situation having his control portrayed as options.

Then again, I am not sure there is a parallel for Sandoval. Is there another example of a player with 2+ years remaining on a MLB contract cut loose, and actually picked up? I can’t think of one.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Maybe Baseball Reference isn't the best to view contract information, but they had Moore's option picked up well before yesterday. I thought that the team announced it before the season was over as well. Sandoval is listed as released from his current contract, but that one is so confusing to me that I'll trust that he has two team options. Weird that Baseball Reference doesn't list that as such, which makes me wonder if they aren't the best to look at for contract information.

For individual player contracts, I tend to look at this site:

San Francisco Giants 2018 Salaries Payroll

They tend to be really accurate with contracts and break down bonuses and everything. It's also easy to compare to the rest of the league.

It's not as useful for calculating luxury tax, or for a team wide thing (it's there, but harder to read). That's when I would tend to use Cots baseball contracts.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Sandoval “options” are unique to him. I don’t ever remember a player in his situation having his control portrayed as options.

Then again, I am not sure there is a parallel for Sandoval. Is there another example of a player with 2+ years remaining on a MLB contract cut loose, and actually picked up? I can’t think of one.

Yeah honestly I don't know why that's a thing but I read it somewhere. There haven't been many players bought out so early in a massive contract like his.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah honestly I don't know why that's a thing but I read it somewhere. There haven't been many players bought out so early in a massive contract like his.
There have been a few over the years, such as Chone Figgins. I don't remember how many years were left on his contract but it seems he was always released from the teams that picked him up with years left on his contract.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For individual player contracts, I tend to look at this site:

San Francisco Giants 2018 Salaries Payroll

They tend to be really accurate with contracts and break down bonuses and everything. It's also easy to compare to the rest of the league.

It's not as useful for calculating luxury tax, or for a team wide thing (it's there, but harder to read). That's when I would tend to use Cots baseball contracts.
I like COTS (Cot's Baseball Contracts). They give the actual contract in English as well as provide spreadsheets for quick reference looking ahead multiple years...

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants lost Engelb Vielma on waivers to the Phillies. One spot on the 40 man open.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants lost Engelb Vielma on waivers to the Phillies. One spot on the 40 man open.
That’s weird. That means they DFA’d him about a week or so ago...