• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T

That could be. It just seems weird that they would give up on Hwang so quickly. Morse offers nothing for the future. If he isn't even planning on returning they should just release him. The Giants seem to be the only team willing to waste a roster spot on a guy who hit a postseason home run for them. Even then, they didn't treat Ishikawa the same last year. Seems so strange how they hang on to Morse.
If he has, in fact, unofficially retired, than sure. I don't see a point in having him "around" either. But if they have already made their decision on Hwang, it doesn't matter.

In fact, it makes sense to DFA Hwang. No chance that Morse gets claimed, so no chance of saving a couple bucks. There is a chance Hwang gets claimed (however small), so there is a chance to save some money.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was outrighted, he cannot walk unless there is a provision in his contract to be to refuse the assignment. ESPN lists him as being waived but that wouldn't make sense since he played for the RiverCats yesterday.

Yes, it requires a special clause in his contract. He *did* have a clause that if he was not called up by July 1, he could opt out, but apparently not one to change the MLB rules on options/assignment/etc. Although it *may* be that he signed a ONE YEAR contract (so he can leave after this year - he is considered a 'professional' and not an amateur when signed).

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin Slater activated from DL, added to active roster.

Reyes Moronta added to active roster.

Roberto Gomez's contract has been purchased and added to active roster. No corresponding move announced yet.

I talked about Gomez recently in the Down on the Farm thread. 28 years old. Since July 5th: 2.14 ERA, 54.2 IP, 49 Ks, 14 BBs, 1.17 WHIP. 7 year MiLB vet, first time in AAA though, and this will be his ML debut.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Roberto Gomez's contract has been purchased and added to active roster. No corresponding move announced yet.

I talked about Gomez recently in the Down on the Farm thread. 28 years old. Since July 5th: 2.14 ERA, 54.2 IP, 49 Ks, 14 BBs, 1.17 WHIP. 7 year MiLB vet, first time in AAA though, and this will be his ML debut.

Moncrief DFA'ed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated...

Gomez added to 40 and active
Slater added to active
Moronta added to active
Moncrief DFA'd

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Surprised it was Gomez over Snelten and annoyed Rogers got bypassed. Both of those guys, in my opinion, deserved promotions.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised it was Gomez over Snelten and annoyed Rogers got bypassed. Both of those guys, in my opinion, deserved promotions.
Snelton yes. But the scouting reports on Rogers are pretty solid that he is a AAA pitcher, period.

I have zero knowledge about Gomez, though, so I can't speak to his level of deservedness...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snelton yes. But the scouting reports on Rogers are pretty solid that he is a AAA pitcher, period.

I have zero knowledge about Gomez, though, so I can't speak to his level of deservedness...
A guy who can hold his own through a whole season in AAA deserves a cup. Higher touted pitching prospects have wilted much worse in the central valley heat. At the end of a lost season, rest the vets and play the rookies, bring them up and if the player looks awful, dfa him at the end of the season. It seems the team has more to lose passing him over then by giving him a month to sink or swim.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember where I read it (sfgrtb or Doc, I think), but someone said that he is a pure junk pitcher who tends to get killed by any batter who is anything at all. Basically, he just isn't that good.

I agree that rewarding his good play over the last couple years would have a psychic benefit to the org, but I don't know the politics in professional sports, so I really can't comment with any authority that my ass don't give me.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember where I read it (sfgrtb or Doc, I think), but someone said that he is a pure junk pitcher who tends to get killed by any batter who is anything at all. Basically, he just isn't that good.

I agree that rewarding his good play over the last couple years would have a psychic benefit to the org, but I don't know the politics in professional sports, so I really can't comment with any authority that my ass don't give me.
That doesn't stop me.​

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Belt and Morse are not on the 60 day DL is beyond me. Why are they being kept on the 40? Neither of them will play again this season. Morse may never play again. If it is service time, won't he get service time on the 60 day DL?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Belt and Morse are not on the 60 day DL is beyond me. Why are they being kept on the 40? Neither of them will play again this season. Morse may never play again. If it is service time, won't he get service time on the 60 day DL?
Unless something has changed in the past few days, Belt could be coming back in the next week or so. Morse has me puzzled. I really doubt any other MLB team is keeping an over the hill vet on the 40 like that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't recall taking it that far, but I probably said something along the lines of "the more you see of Rogers, the easier it gets". Now that's true for any pitcher, except maybe Kershaw, but with Rogers I've heard that he would have a rough time once hitters figured out his funk because he doesn't have any sort of average pitch. In the minors, it's easier to get away with.

Now, I don't necessarily disagree with LGH here though. In a season like this, where September isn't going to make a difference, it is nice to call up a guy who's had a lot of success and reward him.... if you are okay with DFA'ing him in the offseason. 40-man spots are going to be tight.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall taking it that far, but I probably said something along the lines of "the more you see of Rogers, the easier it gets". Now that's true for any pitcher, except maybe Kershaw, but with Rogers I've heard that he would have a rough time once hitters figured out his funk because he doesn't have any sort of average pitch. In the minors, it's easier to get away with.

Now, I don't necessarily disagree with LGH here though. In a season like this, where September isn't going to make a difference, it is nice to call up a guy who's had a lot of success and reward him.... if you are okay with DFA'ing him in the offseason. 40-man spots are going to be tight.
And that is what I'm trying to state in my posts. Why do they need to waste a 40 man roster spot on Michael Morse when you can reward a guy like Tyler Rogers. If he shines, you've got another possible bullpen piece in 2018. If he looks awful, then dfa him by November. Just simply skipping him over makes no sense in a season like this one.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get this, the Pirates found out one of their hitters was done for the year and so they transferred him to the 60 day disabled list. Then they purchased the contract of a non prospect pitcher (Dan Runzler!) To fill that roster spot. So weird! Don't they know that it's best to waste roster spots in September? That kind of nonsense probably explains why they aren't even close to contention for the 2018 1st pick.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing! The Phillies actually moved a guy to the 60 day DL because he wasn't going to play again this season. Only losers do that, not winners like the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have claimed Engelb Vielma from the Twins. He looks to be a light-hitting infield utility player with moderate speed. No announcement about the subsequent 40-move, but it shouldn't be an issue since there are so many guys out for the season with injury.

No idea about his options status. Seeing as he is 22, I will guess he still has at least 1 past this season...

Engelb Vielma Minor & Winter Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com