• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is the deadline for minor leaguers to be added to the 40-man roster.

Reyes Moronta, Dan Slania, Chase Johnson.... and Orlando Calixte (!) added to the 40-man roster to be protected from the rule V draft.

The 1st three were pretty much what I expected. Calixte is interesting. Signed last week as a minor league free agent. Utility infielder. Fangraphs ranked him as the 6th best minor league free agent position player.

One final add, Miguel Gomez.

Puts the roster at 40.
Those are some interesting adds, especially Calixte. Was going to say, "Next year's Jesus Guzman? Where's tito?" but then I looked at Calixte's offensive numbers. I'm hoping he is an elite defender. Otherwise, major head scratcher of a move there FO.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are some interesting adds, especially Calixte. Was going to say, "Next year's Jesus Guzman? Where's tito?" but then I looked at Calixte's offensive numbers. I'm hoping he is an elite defender. Otherwise, major head scratcher of a move there FO.

He has some solid pop for a middle infielder, and yes he has a good, versatile glove. An employee at the agency who represents Calixte came out and said that Calixte was highly sought after, and that he probably would have been swooped in the rule V draft.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still shocked at Rogers not getting protected. I wonder if he got hurt in the AFL. His last two appearances were gawd-awful...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still shocked at Rogers not getting protected. I wonder if he got hurt in the AFL. His last two appearances were gawd-awful...
They must have thought that he was more expendable than the three pitchers whom they protected. I'm more surprised that Gomez was protected over Ryder Jones. Gomez was weak at San Jose while Jones was decent (not good, but decent) at Richmond and had a solid showing in the AFL.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must have thought that he was more expendable than the three pitchers whom they protected. I'm more surprised that Gomez was protected over Ryder Jones. Gomez was weak at San Jose while Jones was decent (not good, but decent) at Richmond and had a solid showing in the AFL.

Ryder Jones was actually not eligible. Just missed the cutoff.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More info on Orlando Calixte: http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/analytical-look-minor-league-free-agents/#MOtXU3fyGEKBMwJe.97

"Plus bat speed, average wheels, fringe power" defensive versatility, smart base-running. This guy is probably a real threat to Adrianza. The more I've read up about him, the more I like him. He's certainly going to be a guy we hear a lot about in the Spring.
I read that article too. Adrianza, I think, didn't get a fair shake in 2016. Granted, he was injured most of the year, but when he did play, he hit well. Then, for some strange reason, he got less and less playing time down the stretch, until late September, when he did begin to fade. I think that Adrianza should have the inside track on a roster spot, over Calixte, but if Adrianza can be traded or looks poor in spring training, and Calixte looks incredible, then I'm fine with the switch.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article too. Adrianza, I think, didn't get a fair shake in 2016. Granted, he was injured most of the year, but when he did play, he hit well. Then, for some strange reason, he got less and less playing time down the stretch, until late September, when he did begin to fade. I think that Adrianza should have the inside track on a roster spot, over Calixte, but if Adrianza can be traded or looks poor in spring training, and Calixte looks incredible, then I'm fine with the switch.

I have long been an EA defender. He probably does have an inside track, and I do think both guys could be used as trade bait.

I guess the advantage Calixte has is he could play the OF in a pinch, which we wanted from Kelby but couldn't get. If the roster expands to 26, maybe we can have both?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have long been an EA defender. He probably does have an inside track, and I do think both guys could be used as trade bait.

I guess the advantage Calixte has is he could play the OF in a pinch, which we wanted from Kelby but couldn't get. If the roster expands to 26, maybe we can have both?
Are there rumors of the roster expanding? I have not heard that one.

I would only be in favor of expanding the roster in the event of a modified DH adoption (DH is hard-linked to the pitcher - if the pitcher comes out, a new DH will be needed for his next ab).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would only be in favor of expanding the roster in the event of a modified DH adoption (DH is hard-linked to the pitcher - if the pitcher comes out, a new DH will be needed for his next ab).
I cannot find the article at the moment, but I did read somewhere on Baseball America that this idea is on the table for the CBA. The flip side would be limiting rosters in September to 28 or 29 players per game (which could be a nightmare from a fantasy perspective).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot find the article at the moment, but I did read somewhere on Baseball America that this idea is on the table for the CBA. The flip side would be limiting rosters in September to 28 or 29 players per game (which could be a nightmare from a fantasy perspective).
I think the per-game limit at the end of the year has been getting a lot of momentum the last few years. I like the concept.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the per-game limit at the end of the year has been getting a lot of momentum the last few years. I like the concept.

It was the talk last week.

I am completely for a 26 man roster and a 28-30 man roster in September. I've always thought that was the best solution. Won't stop teams from packing the clubhouse with 40 guys, but that also means that minor league players can still get paid in September and it keeps the competitive balance closer to the norm.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I a man not a fan of expanding the regular roster. It will only make games longer (additional LOOGY/ROOGY)...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I a man not a fan of expanding the regular roster. It will only make games longer (additional LOOGY/ROOGY)...
IIRC, the expanded roster to 26 would be in exchange for the elimination of the DH. It's a way to get the MLBPA on board, since eliminating the DH would eliminate some big salary players.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, the expanded roster to 26 would be in exchange for the elimination of the DH. It's a way to get the MLBPA on board, since eliminating the DH would eliminate some big salary players.
The way I heard it, the 26th man was in exchange for limiting game rosters in September. I have heard no talk of eliminating the DH in this CBA. Have you read this somewhere?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone pass me a towel. I need clean up over here...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I heard it, the 26th man was in exchange for limiting game rosters in September. I have heard no talk of eliminating the DH in this CBA. Have you read this somewhere?

Yeah I don't recall seeing anything about the DH being taken away (unfortunately).

Those jobs would be taken away anyway because the 26th man on 90% of rosters is going to be a reliever.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until yesterday, I thought this CBA negotiation was going just fine. Apparently, they're not! A co-worker told me Ken Rosenthal on Fox Sports reported a possibility of a lock out. Now, I read this on ESPN - Sources: MLB talks progress as lockout looms

The silver lining to that is at least the baseball season is still far away.

Most of the summer, the talk was how it was going to be settled before the CBA even expired. Guess were far away from that. Could also just be both sides putting pressure on the other to avoid a lockout.