• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curious about the QB thing...

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is now the "proverbial shit" as opposed to one third of it, as he was last year. Now has the "designated passer" label in OTAs and has been doing his Russel Wilson thing.

My question is this;
Are there any negatives to this "new situation"?
Could last year have been a better environment for him?
Breakout, or Sophomore Slump?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can not think of any reason why being the undisputed starter would be negative in any way.

He's going be taking the lion shares of reps in camp, he'll be able to get timing and chemistry down with his recievers. Work at setting the blocking, etc. etc.

When the regular season begins he can put the petal to the metal, because he'll be ready.

Compare that to last year where he had to share reps, work with the backups. That was why the offense was so conservative to start the last season.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way it could be a negative is if he decided to slack off now that he knows he's the starter going in. Based on what we read about him after we took him in the draft last year and based on what we read about him and heard about him during the season last year, I don't think slacking off is in his DNA. I think he'll look at it like he has to work to earn the starting job everyday. My guess is that he thinks that if he lets up at all, he'll be letting the team down. In short, I don't think being the undisputed starter from the beginning will hamper his progress because he won't let it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see where you're coming from though. Like a Cam Newton sophomore year. Cam Newton tore it up in his rookie year and then a mediocre one last year. I am betting that it wont be the same with RW. The offense is too good, so many weapons. He has always been accurate his whole life. Setting records at every level. Sophomore slumps are a mental thing. His competitive ethic is astronomical.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Pete Carroll throws you out of film room during the bye week and tells you to take some time off, that tells me Russ Wilson is motivated to be the best. Knowing he's the starter won't have any negative affect on him. I wouldn't worry about a sophomore slump, i'm ready to see Russell Wilson unleashed.

France_Steve

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They were talking about this recently on KJR. There are several reasons why I don't expect to see a slump from Wilson. First of all is that the Seahawks will still be a running team. We are still going to try to pound the ball with Lynch, Turbin, and maybe Michael. Wilson will probably be asked to throw 25-30 times a game. Players that have sophomore slumps are guys like Luck. He has no running game, he has to win the game on his own. This allows the other team to focus on him and gameplan around him. With Lynch, Harvin, Rice and Tate wilson is just one weapon on the offense. Also, as mentioned above, he works very hard. This is both in the film room and physically. something i heard mentiones about ota's was Wilsons increased calf muscles, apparently he has been doing a lot of squats. I think th team all around is too strong and he wprks too hard to have a real slump

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no way he declines in the coming year. He had training wheels on him for half the season last year and once they let him loose he produced at a high level. Partially because of his athleticism and mainly because of his work ethic.

When you look at the pieces around him it would be hard to see where he would struggle. Adding Harvin will make it even harder for teams to key on Wilson as they now have to have another deep cover guy that can't cheat up. Adding another rusher that now gives them 3 viable running threats helps take pressure off him for sure, and also gives defenses more to look at. When you add a quality line to protect him and give him time to go through his reads I just don't see a slump coming.

They asked Harvin about his first impressions of Wilson and he said he was very impressed at not only his ability to deliver a ball, but his leadership. He was like having a coach in the huddle. He talks to every player and gives encouragement and correction.

This is his offense and not because anyone handed it to him, but because he took it by brute force and put in deep foundations to keep it.

I remember watching an extended story about Payton back during the years where the Colts were challenging for SB bids and they talked about his undying effort and the extra time he put in. He got his main receivers to buy in and they were in early doing extra throws and were the last ones out and in the off season they met and had their own unofficial practice sessions. Wilson's passion for his position is very Manning like and will produce results.

He is confident and doesn't let mistakes get him down which is just huge. He has above average passing skills and is making strides in his read progressions and defense recognition.

I'd be curious to see if any of the sophomore slum examples have the same tireless work ethic, total respect and buy-in of his teammates, and as balanced and complete of an offense as he has.

I just don't see anything other than injury slowing him down.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The related question would be:
Which of this seasons sophomore QB's will take the biggest step forward and which will take the biggest step backward?

I'd have to pick Wilson for step forward simply because he played the whole year, but was only allowed to play for half of it. He just can't have lower stats than he did. Kaepernick didn't play the full year and was given more of the full offense when he did come in. The loss of Crabtree could cause his numbers to decline. Teams will be focusing on the read option and he will be pushed a bit harder with the loss of his big play maker.

Luck? Until they develop a quality running game and solid line play can he improve? I don't see a huge drop off, but where is his window for growth?

Tannehill has room for improvement, but does he have the team around him to build it?

And I would have a hard time thinking RGIII is going to do more than last year given his injury and how much that will impact his game play this season.

I honestly think Wilson will have the biggest jump up and kaepernick or RGIII will have the biggest steps back just due to circumstances.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Hawk, pretty much.

Sophomore slump may be kind of a myth. Cam was actually a slightly better passer this year than last; the big "disappointment" was the drop in rushing TDs. Dalton got better, too. I don't expect slumps from any of the new QBs except maybe Kaps, and RGIII if hurt. Tannehill has Wallace now, and the running game should be good enough. Luck will pull his guys along.

But Wilson may take the biggest step forward.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way it could be a negative is if he decided to slack off now that he knows he's the starter going in. Based on what we read about him after we took him in the draft last year and based on what we read about him and heard about him during the season last year, I don't think slacking off is in his DNA. I think he'll look at it like he has to work to earn the starting job everyday. My guess is that he thinks that if he lets up at all, he'll be letting the team down. In short, I don't think being the undisputed starter from the beginning will hamper his progress because he won't let it.

This.

When the QB says "Let's have a Championship offseason," right after getting beat in the playoffs, you know all this kid wants to do is win. Everything about him says he will not let himself or the team have a bad year. He had his own OTA with receivers in Cali a few weeks back, he was studying film the week after the probowl. My only concern is actually an off the field thing. He needs to keep his wife happy and make sure to spend time there. He is a classic over acheiver/work-aholic, which is great for the team, but as Mr. Miyagi says, " Lesson not just karate only. Lesson for whole life. Whole life have a balance. Everything be better. Understand?" Domestic issues can detract from field performance.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.
... He needs to keep his wife happy and make sure to spend time there...
... Domestic issues can detract from field performance.

99 problems...

I will homeristically call Wilson for the step forward.
#51 on top 100 is more than likely going to be easily proven much too low an assessment.

I think the mind game in going on in Washington is going to really hamper Griffin's game this year:
Decisions affecting personal longevity,
regrets/ghosts of past choices,
coaches probable input/interference,
re-tooling of play-style, habits & tendencies,
not to mention the physical effect of the injury...
There will need to be too much to overcome this year for Griffin to come even close to what he did last year.

RGIII for the step backward (from a step bent backward... er,... too soon?).

Last edited by a moderator:

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99 problems...

Thankfully, most humans don't take advice of any kind from media meant for entertainment.

I imagine the phrase "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" doesn't make a good wannabe tough guy rap song though.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully, most humans don't take advice of any kind from media meant for entertainment.

QUOTE]

I personally would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that discussion between Aristotle and Oscar Wilde. I too fall in the 'Art imitates Life' camp but appreciate Oscar for keeping it real just the same. Man, that essay is already 120 or so years old.

My musical reference was an exemplification not an assertion or suggestion. And I do believe people do take advice/input from experiences across the board. Is an idea not similar to a virus? It spreads through transmission (of ideas), settles in and duplicates itself, infects, has a type of life (I have thousands of them in my body right now, they 'live' with me), but is not actually alive,...

Music meant for entertainment as opposed for music meant for...? punishment ?
As a musician it is difficult for me to find fault in any type of artful endeavor, but if I had to choose one Karaoke might come in highest on my list of music meant for punishment.