• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cubs send Samardzija and Hammel to Athletics for Addison Russell, per sources.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I only list Parker as the A's #6 starter next season because I don't expect him to be ready to go by opening day. If I had to put a date on it I would project his return for mid to late May.

A's rotation next season is going to be nasty.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt Samardzija will be part of that rotation next year.

Gotta get something for him before his contract expires in 15.

Wouldn't be the Athletics way to keep him and not get something in return.

Doesn't matter, I believe Gray and Parker will both be AS next year anyways.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think the Cubs wouldnt have made this trade if they werent wayyy outperforming expectations this season. I think its pretty widely accepted that the team WANTS to lose 95+ for 3 or 4 years in a row in order to really have a great foundation for a sustained 6-8 year run. Since the team was actually playing pretty damn well over the last 6 weeks I think it expedited shipping these guys.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah, I think he'll be there. No way you trade Russell for half a season. He fully intends on keeping him next season for a 2 season window. The A's aren't going anywhere...

I wouldn't even be surprised if they offer him an extension. They have control of most of the other pitchers for the foreseeable future at a discount, sooooo...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think the Cubs wouldnt have made this trade if they werent wayyy outperforming expectations this season. I think its pretty widely accepted that the team WANTS to lose 95+ for 3 or 4 years in a row in order to really have a great foundation for a sustained 6-8 year run. Since the team was actually playing pretty damn well over the last 6 weeks I think it expedited shipping these guys.

What Theo is doing in Chicago is something to behold. He's sticking to the plan and it's going to be interesting to watch it unfold.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I think he'll be there. No way you trade Russell for half a season. He fully intends on keeping him next season for a 2 season window. The A's aren't going anywhere...

I wouldn't even be surprised if they offer him an extension. They have control of most of the other pitchers for the foreseeable future at a discount, sooooo...

I hope you are right. But I have doubts about signing him long term and even keeping him through 2015.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you are right. But I have doubts about signing him long term and even keeping him through 2015.

Most of our pitching staff is either signed right now through 2016 or is going to be in arbitration during that period. I don't see why we wouldn't try and sign him. I have no clue how much he's going to command in the open market, but I feel like we have a good chance in signing him long term when we don't have a lot of money tied up.

I guess it's more a question of what we're going to do with Yoenis as well. His contract is up after next season as well. If we had a new stadium in the works, I could see signing them for sure no problemo... but if attendance continues to be shit... I doubt it.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of our pitching staff is either signed right now through 2016 or is going to be in arbitration during that period. I don't see why we wouldn't try and sign him. I have no clue how much he's going to command in the open market, but I feel like we have a good chance in signing him long term when we don't have a lot of money tied up.

I guess it's more a question of what we're going to do with Yoenis as well. His contract is up after next season as well. If we had a new stadium in the works, I could see signing them for sure no problemo... but if attendance continues to be shit... I doubt it.

Man , I wish I were as optimistic as you. Lol. Oakland will be a great team for years to come.

But in my eyes, we don't have a shot at paying Cespedes the kind of money he will be getting offered.

Same with Smardj. Likely both are traded.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I think he'll be there. No way you trade Russell for half a season. He fully intends on keeping him next season for a 2 season window..

Look at it this way, when has Oakland been able to keep an ace demanding huge money on the payroll?

So we aren't signing Smardj. And if we don't trade him we lose Russell for nothing in return long term.

We have to recoup our losses with Russell. Smardj is a hired arm for 2014.

His value is highest now through next July. We will deal him. Almost guarenteed

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is plenty of time (13 months) between now and next year's trade deadline for something to happen. I will be at least a little surprised if he doesn't open the season on the A's roster.

I don't know if Parker will be back early enough next year to have enough innings to merit an appearance at the ASG.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And back to the point of talent rich and DEEP starter staff.

And this bullpen, holy smokes.... En fuego!

Did Oakland do anything with Johnson yet?

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man , I wish I were as optimistic as you. Lol. Oakland will be a great team for years to come.

But in my eyes, we don't have a shot at paying Cespedes the kind of money he will be getting offered.

Same with Smardj. Likely both are traded.

Cespedes isn't a 20 mil a year guy. I think we can keep him.

Samardzija will be harder for sure.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And back to the point of talent rich and DEEP starter staff.

And this bullpen, holy smokes.... En fuego!

Did Oakland do anything with Johnson yet?

Probably just going to keep him around and hope he figures things out.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Theo is doing in Chicago is something to behold. He's sticking to the plan and it's going to be interesting to watch it unfold.

He has targeted 2017 from the jump it seems. Im excited to see it happen. If he pulls it off it will be unreal.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cespedes isn't a 20 mil a year guy. I think we can keep him.

Samardzija will be harder for sure.

Win the World Series and you get to keep both and more. :suds:

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it this way, when has Oakland been able to keep an ace demanding huge money on the payroll?

So we aren't signing Smardj. And if we don't trade him we lose Russell for nothing in return long term.

We have to recoup our losses with Russell. Smardj is a hired arm for 2014.

His value is highest now through next July. We will deal him. Almost guarenteed

I just don't see him trading away either of them unless the season doesn't pan out... which is highly unlikely considering their depth at both the outfield and pitching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were moved before the season started, but I just don't see either happening. Beane is going to want both seasons for a shot at a title. If they win it all this season, it's much more likely they trade 'em away. If they don't... Beane is going all in next season.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has targeted 2017 from the jump it seems. Im excited to see it happen. If he pulls it off it will be unreal.

And he might just time it right to coincide with a Cards decline. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see the Cubs do something.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His last outing he pitched well. That 14 or 15 inning game.

There won't be a team around that'll take him and his salary... so you just have to hold on and hope he puts it all together. The A's aren't going to want to eat his salary in a trade.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see him trading away either of them unless the season doesn't pan out... which is highly unlikely considering their depth at both the outfield and pitching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were moved before the season started, but I just don't see either happening. Beane is going to want both seasons for a shot at a title. If they win it all this season, it's much more likely they trade 'em away. If they don't... Beane is going all in next season.

Just not seeing it. Trading away your future for 35 starts from Smardj? No way.

They will get something in return.

Unless BB stops being BB.

Beane is all in THIS season.