• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cubs ongoing 2016 Season Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogelbach traded to Seattle. The Cubs got Mike Montgomery who has been a very good lefty out of the pen this year. They also got AAA pitcher Jordan Pries who should be a bullpen arm in the near future, probably next year. It should be the end of Clayton Richard, but I hope this isn't the only bullpen arm they are going to add.

I guess this is Seattle giving up on this year. Their bullpen was average even with Montgomery. Vogelbach gives them a solid 1B/DH going forward. Montgomery is under team control through the 2021 season, is 27 years old and in his 2nd season in the majors and 1st as a bullpen arm after failing as a starter.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Vogiebomb has a chance to play in the league. I am guessing Vogie was not going to be enough for the yankee trade, trouble now is that Miller and Chapman are linked to the Nationals, citing Dustys managing Chapman in Cincy. The cost was that lightning fast turner last I heard. After last years fiasco with washington mixing up closers, its tough to believe they will do it again.

People claim they kept Heyward and Lackey away from St Louis, kinda the same scenario of keeping these two out of the NL.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a good move. Vogelbach wasn't going to play here anyways, so we added help to our pen and virtually lost nothing. Now we need to make another move for one more arm in the pen. Hopefully Miller or Chapman, but I feel like those hopes are dwindling.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering if Rondon would be an option if we get Chapman. I know the yankees want alot, but maybe a ready arm might just cost us Torres or Jiminez.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They Yankees haven't decided to be sellers yet. They are asking too much for their relief arms. Rondon alone would be too much for Chapman. Chapman is a 3 month rental. You don't give up Torres much less Jimenez for Chapman. You give up McKinney and Candelario and then you watch the Yankees sign Chapman in the off-season.

If the Yankees want Torres it is in a deal for Miller and Betances. That gives you long-term solutions in the bullpen. The Yankees are going to hold out until the last minute and then if they decide to be sellers they'll end up taking what they can get for Chapman and holding on to their long-term assets.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder how much traction these Jay Bruce rumors will get. He would definitely solidify our lineup

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder how much traction these Jay Bruce rumors will get. He would definitely solidify our lineup

I`d give up Heywerd for Bruce.......If cincy would take him.

For a 14th pick in the draft,he`s never met expectations of a man his size.....He should be hitting those balls out of the park,but can only muster up 4?.....Even his most is 27 once and the only time hes been in the 20`s.
He`s wayyyy overrated in my book.
Hes been horrible for us.And I can`t deny it.

Sorry but he has to go............

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For a 14th pick in the draft,he`s never met expectations of a man his size.....He should be hitting those balls out of the park,but can only muster up 4?.....Even his most is 27 once and the only time hes been in the 20`s.
He`s wayyyy overrated in my book.
Hes been horrible for us.And I can`t deny it.

Sorry but he has to go............

I've been saying, he's one of baseball's most overrated players. I was also disappointed when we signed him.

I'd love to trade him, but that's not going to happen, and a seller like Cincinnati definitely won't be taking him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincy would gladly take that. They would then trade Heyward for a big package of prospects. Heyward has been more valuable of a player so far this season, despite having his worst offensive output, than Bruce has from the start of the 2014 season. Yes, this partial season of Heyward has produced more value and more runs above average than Bruce has for 2014, 2015 and so far in 2016 combined! If Heyward's BABIP normalizes over the rest of the season he'll easily have another 3 WAR year. If not he'll have the worst season of his career and probably only get to 2 WAR. Bruce hasn't had a 1+ WAR season since 2013.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees have decided to be sellers and it is starting to look like Gleyber Torres, and others, will be going to the Yankees for Chapman. The Cubs are trying to work out an extension, 4yr/$60M, before they will complete the deal. If it were a rental I'd hate it, but if they get the extension done and have Chapman for 4 years plus the rest of this year it will be solid.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will another cubs farm hand take Starlin Castro's job again?

This is all in for this year and I honestly do not see this as much more than Vogie going to seattle. If something happens to Russell, Baez is going to play shortstop. They are already 4 deep at second base including Happ. Torres will be a player in the ML's, but its really not going to be here.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one game we should have lost, and we pulled it out of our ass with a Rizzo 8-iron into the gap. We looked like the bad news baby bears out there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chapman officially a Cub. Gleyber Torres, McKinney, Adam Warren and a 4th piece that hasn't been identified as of yet. No word on the extension either. If they did this without an extension then it will be the first mistake under Theo's watch. If there is an extension it is a fair deal, assuming the 4th piece isn't Happ, Almora or Baez. If it is Jimenez I won't like it, but it is hard to get upset about trading A ball guys no matter how much they are tearing up that level. Torres is going to be a very good player, but if they got 4-5 years of Chapman for him with his future in Chicago being limited to a utility guy he was a trade chip.

Now go and get Sale! Schwarber, Baez, Candelario and some lesser pieces.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no extension, some say he will resign with the yankees because he felt part of the family. A ring would probably change that. Lets see who catches him. Ross has had trouble with Lesters fastball. Hopefully they move Contrares behind the plate for the quickest reflexes, it would be time for a substitution anyway and would rather have Scuzzy in left.

Last player was an a ball kid Crawford that nobody knew. Still dont have a problem with the deal since these are 4 blocked prospects, its just like Vogie waiting for injury before getting a shot. Torres has to beat Gregorious in NY, I think he can. Still think an extension would have sealed the deal, now the cub fans are really mixed. Alot of dream team has turned into a nightmare. I did like Chapmans comment that he would like to be part of putting an end to the drought.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it because there is no extension. I don't expect Theo to win the bidding war this off-season to keep him. The Cubs gave up a top 25 prospect for a short-term fix. Are they going to give up their best prospect again next season for a bullpen arm? They are no longer picking in the top half of the first round so churning out top prospects is going to slow down drastically. There are other bullpen arms they could go after this off-season like Melancon and Jansen who are very good proven closers. Neatili Feliz would be a nice 7th/8th inning guy.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy would gladly take that. They would then trade Heyward for a big package of prospects. Heyward has been more valuable of a player so far this season, despite having his worst offensive output, than Bruce has from the start of the 2014 season. Yes, this partial season of Heyward has produced more value and more runs above average than Bruce has for 2014, 2015 and so far in 2016 combined! If Heyward's BABIP normalizes over the rest of the season he'll easily have another 3 WAR year. If not he'll have the worst season of his career and probably only get to 2 WAR. Bruce hasn't had a 1+ WAR season since 2013.

I'll take Jay Bruce

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing Theo is in charge then. He's trying to a win World Series and that has a better chance of happening with Heyward than Bruce.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your obsession with Heyward is beyond bizarre. And don't feed me your bullshit about his WAR. His WAR is 1.1 which doesn't even rank him in the top 200 in ESPN's WAR leaders.

.228/.315 4 28. Yep, that's going to win us a world series for sure.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Jay Bruce, who's knocking in runs on a bad team.

.271/.324 24 homers 78 rbi's. It's not even close. (but but but. . . his WAR!)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll ignore the 28 run difference in the defende. Put Bruce in RF and the Cubs ERA jumps over 1/4 a run. His bat doesn't make up for it. If you would trade 9 points of OBP in what has been the most unlucky streak of Heyward's career for 28 runs given up on defense then you do not value winning. Heyward has been the more valuable player to this point in the season. Heyward will be the more valuable player the rest of the season. Heyward will be the more valuable player every season as long as the two play baseball.

but but but. . . HRs make me wet