• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CS's Top 10 Centers for the upcoming NBA Season

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck are we discussing Kyrie Irving in a thread about centers?

Unless he's had a growth spurt over the summer, his name doesn't belong in here.

Because it's a part of Wiggys daily circle jerk ritual.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the injury stuff...

Injuries are part of the game. Therefore, not an excuse for losing. In a 7 game series the best team pretty much always wins.

Imo, it may be that the team that won was the better team because of injuries suffered by the losing team, but they are still the better team if only temporarily.

I agree with @Rockinkuwait that building less top heavy teams and concentrating a little more on depth could help teams overcome injury issues.

Different sport, but in MLB, the Dodgers are good example right now. In the off-season, a lot of Dodgers fans were angry (myself included) because the Dodgers lost Greinke and didn't go after, let alone sign, any big ticket FA's. Instead, they concentrated on adding depth. Because of that, they are in first place in the NL West despite being decimated by injuries.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the injury stuff...

Injuries are part of the game. Therefore, not an excuse for losing. In a 7 game series the best team pretty much always wins.

Imo, it may be that the team that won was the better team because of injuries suffered by the losing team, but they are still the better team if only temporarily.

I agree with @Rockinkuwait that building less top heavy teams and concentrating a little more on depth could help teams overcome injury issues.

Different sport, but in MLB, the Dodgers are good example right now. In the off-season, a lot of Dodgers fans were angry (myself included) because the Dodgers lost Greinke and didn't go after, let alone sign, any big ticket FA's. Instead, they concentrated on adding depth. Because of that, they are in first place in the NL West despite being decimated by injuries.

And that is all good. Just don't tell me that 1 team was lucky and the other wasn't that is BS.

Both teams won their title playing the other at less than full strength. And yes, guys playing hurt does certainly impact a team when that player is not able to perform to their regular standard.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is all good. Just don't tell me that 1 team was lucky and the other wasn't that is BS.

Both teams won their title playing the other at less than full strength. And yes, guys playing hurt does certainly impact a team when that player is not able to perform to their regular standard.

Oh, I agree that guys getting hurt and unable to play at their normal standard impacts the game. I think a case can be made that, in some cases, it can actually hurt the team more than if they were just out.

If a team benefits because of injuries on another team, luck (good for one team, bad for the other) seems like the right word, if not entirely accurate.

In any case, it does suck that sometimes we don't get the games we hope for/expect because of injuries. So far, we had a series where the Cavs had injury issues, followed by one where the Warriors had injury issues.

As others have said, hopefully we will see these teams at full strength in this years finals.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

every single team in the playoffs over the last 2 years had injury issues.

to act like there are not varying degrees- and that its all the same- is the height of ignorance and stupidity.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry gets hurt and GS still makes the Finals.
Lebron gets hurt and cleveland don't come out the 1st round.

It's THAT simple.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry gets hurt and GS still makes the Finals.
Lebron gets hurt and cleveland don't come out the 1st round.

It's THAT simple.

it really DOES come down to that. but as i may flat-out DESPISE the self-centered s.o.b. he does take excellent care of himself. ..

i don't think there's a point in his whole career that LeClown has missed extended playing time...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really DOES come down to that. but as i may flat-out DESPISE the self-centered s.o.b. he does take excellent care of himself. ..

i don't think there's a point in his whole career that LeClown has missed extended playing time...
yah....LeBron is not fragile like Steph is.

knock on wood- LeBron has never had a significant injury in his career.....2 seasons ago he took time off with general knee and back issues- but came back with his battery recharged and has looked better than at the end of his Heat career that is for certain.

When you are LeBron and are built like, and have the athletic ability, that only comes around once every few decades---- and COMBINE that with an absolutely legendary work ethic - and COMBINE that with cutting-edge technology and medical assistance in staying in shape---- AND combine that with a front office that has done an AMAZING job at reducing wear and tear on LeBron (much like SAS did with TD), you can see why LeBron James' reign as the NBA's King has gone on for so long and will CONTINUE to endure for the foreseeable future.

depending on your perspective, you will either be fortunately/unfortunately watching LeBron dominate the NBA for quite some time into the future.

I can only imagine when he was contemplating coming to Cleveland that him and the team had discussions about the best way to use LeBron so that he can extend his career as far into the future as possible. The CAvs front office needs to continue to reduce lebron's minutes and the wear and tear over the course of the season in order to (i) keep him ready for the REAL season (playoffs), and (ii) keep him fresh for as far into the future as is possible.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah....LeBron is not fragile like Steph is.

knock on wood- LeBron has never had a significant injury in his career.....2 seasons ago he took time off with general knee and back issues- but came back with his battery recharged and has looked better than at the end of his Heat career that is for certain.

When you are LeBron and are built like, and have the athletic ability, that only comes around once every few decades---- and COMBINE that with an absolutely legendary work ethic - and COMBINE that with cutting-edge technology and medical assistance in staying in shape---- AND combine that with a front office that has done an AMAZING job at reducing wear and tear on LeBron (much like SAS did with TD), you can see why LeBron James' reign as the NBA's King has gone on for so long and will CONTINUE to endure for the foreseeable future.

depending on your perspective, you will either be fortunately/unfortunately watching LeBron dominate the NBA for quite some time into the future.

I can only imagine when he was contemplating coming to Cleveland that him and the team had discussions about the best way to use LeBron so that he can extend his career as far into the future as possible. The CAvs front office needs to continue to reduce lebron's minutes and the wear and tear over the course of the season in order to (i) keep him ready for the REAL season (playoffs), and (ii) keep him fresh for as far into the future as is possible.

:fap:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is center even a real position in the NBA?

the 5 position thing is totally outdated....

Guards

Wings

Bigs

to break the NBA down by position anymore than that is really inconsequential and irrelevant to todays game.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is center even a real position in the NBA?

the 5 position thing is totally outdated....

Guards

Wings

Bigs

to break the NBA down by position anymore than that is really inconsequential and irrelevant to todays game.

That is actually very true.

2-3 are almost entirely interchangeable in every offense. They might have sets for a specific guy, but they essentially occupy similar spaces on the floor. Some offenses make 1-4 more or less interchangeable.

I agree though. Position blending has done away with the old concept of forward, guard, center.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's who I have as the best 10 centers for the upcoming season:

1) Demarcus Cousins
2) Andre Drummond
3) Marc Gasol
4) Dwight Howard
5) Al Horford
6) DeAndre Jordan
7) Hassan Whiteside
8) Steven Adams
9) Rudy Gobert
10) Brook Lopez

(Note: I didn't count KAT or AD as a 5 in this, they'll be considered 4's in my next installment)

Cousins is the best center in the game, attitude aside. Drummond I have slightly ahead of Gasol only because I think he's primed for a breakout year on the offensive end and he's already a beast defensively. Gasol is coming back from injury and it'll be interesting to see what he does.

Dwight, I have him being rejuvenated in a new environment and back in his hometown. He'll be a focal point of the team which will make him happy and he's paired with probably one of the best guys you could think of in Millsap in the front court to give him space to operate in the paint and a distributing PG in Schroeder. I think he's going to be back in a big way this year.

Horford should fit very nicely in Boston. Jordan hopefully can be a bit more of a force on offense. I have him slightly ahead of Whiteside because I think Jordan is a much more consistent player at this point and a proven commodity on a nightly basis. Adams I have slightly ahead of Gobert because I think you'll see him start to become relied upon much more on offense this year, in addition to his defense. Brook is still a force offensively but terrible offensively.

Midseason update:

1) Demarcus Cousins
2) Karl-Anthony Towns
3) Marc Gasol
4) Nikola Jokic
5) Joel Embiid
6) Hassan Whiteside
7) Rudy Gobert
8) DeAndre Jordan
9) Myles Turner
10) Brook Lopez

Toughest Omission: Andre Drummond. It seems that he's regressed a bit from last year. He's not doing anything really great to separate himself from say DeAndre Jordan, however Jordan seems to have more impact when he's out there.

I updated KAT to a center because that's what he's listed at for the NBA now, with Dieng being listed as a PF.

That being said:

Cousins is just a beast. We all know his detriments but his numbers are other worldly.

KAT, also a beast. Putting up really great numbers on an overall underachieving team though.

Gasol has been more consistent this year than Jokic which is why I have him still slightly ahead but...

Jokic is an absolute monster. The league is starting to take notice that this guy can ball. He's only 21, but he's going to be an elite center for years to come. Can't wait to see the future battles between him, KAT and Embiid.

Embiid, I thought he would be good, but not anywhere this good, this fast. The guy has superstar talent. Unfortunately he's had yet another injury, but no denying the impact he has on the game. If he can play 65-70 games a year, I'd still take him above anyone else below him on this list.

Whiteside/Jordan/Gobert. All have been really excellent in maintaining their offensive roles and defensive presence. Really all 3 of these guys could be interchangeable based on preference.

Turner has been really outstanding. He had a strong rookie year and has built off of that. For a guy who's not really that athletic, he has a knack for being in the right places defensively and a monster shot blocker. If he can get a bit more consistent with his offensive production and also a bit better at rebounding, he's going to be really good too.

Lastly, I went with Brook over Drummond only because Brook has changed his game offensively. He's always been really good offensively, but he's now a 35% 3 point shooter out of seemingly no-where. It's crazy. I appreciate a guy more who continually works at his craft to improve facets of his game. If only that translated to his rebounding though...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midseason update:

1) Demarcus Cousins
2) Karl-Anthony Towns
3) Marc Gasol
4) Nikola Jokic
5) Joel Embiid
6) Hassan Whiteside
7) Rudy Gobert
8) DeAndre Jordan
9) Myles Turner
10) Brook Lopez

Toughest Omission: Andre Drummond. It seems that he's regressed a bit from last year. He's not doing anything really great to separate himself from say DeAndre Jordan, however Jordan seems to have more impact when he's out there.

I updated KAT to a center because that's what he's listed at for the NBA now, with Dieng being listed as a PF.

That being said:

Cousins is just a beast. We all know his detriments but his numbers are other worldly.

KAT, also a beast. Putting up really great numbers on an overall underachieving team though.

Gasol has been more consistent this year than Jokic which is why I have him still slightly ahead but...

Jokic is an absolute monster. The league is starting to take notice that this guy can ball. He's only 21, but he's going to be an elite center for years to come. Can't wait to see the future battles between him, KAT and Embiid.

Embiid, I thought he would be good, but not anywhere this good, this fast. The guy has superstar talent. Unfortunately he's had yet another injury, but no denying the impact he has on the game. If he can play 65-70 games a year, I'd still take him above anyone else below him on this list.

Whiteside/Jordan/Gobert. All have been really excellent in maintaining their offensive roles and defensive presence. Really all 3 of these guys could be interchangeable based on preference.

Turner has been really outstanding. He had a strong rookie year and has built off of that. For a guy who's not really that athletic, he has a knack for being in the right places defensively and a monster shot blocker. If he can get a bit more consistent with his offensive production and also a bit better at rebounding, he's going to be really good too.

Lastly, I went with Brook over Drummond only because Brook has changed his game offensively. He's always been really good offensively, but he's now a 35% 3 point shooter out of seemingly no-where. It's crazy. I appreciate a guy more who continually works at his craft to improve facets of his game. If only that translated to his rebounding though...

I would put Embiid off the list. Even when he was healthy his value was lowered by a minutes restrictions. He ever becomes healthy he will be #1 on this list.

Whiteside still is not near as valuable as Gobert.