• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crazy idea for new new draft rule

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this...

Let players declare for the draft whenever they want... out of high school, after first year, 2nd year, whatever....

BUT.... the NBA team that drafts them chooses when the player actually leaves school for the NBA. In other words if you enter the draft after your freshman year, I can draft you but chose not to "call you up" until after your 2nd or 3rd year.

- NBA teams in rebuild mode will be incentivized to keep high draft picks in school, thus continuing to be a lottery team and stockpiling more high picks.
- Players can cash in on a high draft stock, getting the security of being drafted, while still being able to have longer college careers
- NBA teams can draft prospects who have potential but aren't quite ready and leave them in school.

Of course, the player doesn't get paid until they actually join the nba team.

If a player gets hurt in the meantime, or their draft stock plummets, and the nba team wants out... there would be a compromise... the player gets maybe 1/2 of the salary that normally accompanies the pick position. That way the player gets some security by declaring for the draft... but the NBA team isn't risking too much by leaving them in school.

I've barely begun thinking about this... I'm sure there are some holes, so let me know what they are.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest problem I see is NCAA amateurism rules.

Yeah, but does a promise of future earnings truly endanger amateur status?

If it resulted in better players staying in college longer, I'm sure the NCAA wouldn't complain to loudly... no mater how much they profess love for amateur student athletes as their only motivation.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the problem is that the NCAA loves money, and they'd be too scared that allowing drafted athletes would alienate a significant portion of their fan base. If they thought they could do it and get away with it, they'd do it in a second.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the NCAA would allow live human sacrifice if they thought it would up their revenue by half a percent.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the problem is that the NCAA loves money, and they'd be too scared that allowing drafted athletes would alienate a significant portion of their fan base. If they thought they could do it and get away with it, they'd do it in a second.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the NCAA would allow live human sacrifice if they thought it would up their revenue by half a percent.

Gotcha, many fans would likely be in an uproar... which I hadn't honestly thought of.

They might also be quieted, however, when the best players on their favorite team start sticking around for 2 or 3 years instead of bolting every year?

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- NBA teams in rebuild mode will be incentivized to keep high draft picks in school, thus continuing to be a lottery team and stockpiling more high picks.
- Players can cash in on a high draft stock, getting the security of being drafted, while still being able to have longer college careers
- NBA teams can draft prospects who have potential but aren't quite ready and leave them in school.

Here's another problem... if they're cashing in on high draft stock then that would mean that they're signing contracts. Even if they aren't getting paid, they are still very much a professional athlete at that point. A guarantee to get paid is the same thing as getting paid as far as amateurism goes.

If they aren't signing contracts then their high draft stock is meaningless.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, many fans would likely be in an uproar... which I hadn't honestly thought of.

They might also be quieted, however, when the best players on their favorite team start sticking around for 2 or 3 years instead of bolting every year?

I'd be one of them to be honest. I don't really wanna watch some kid that's already inked an NBA deal honing his nine-steps-to-the-basket-without-a-dribble penetration.

I honestly think those kids would also be damn near impossible to coach.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way this works is if you let the player decide when their ncaa career is over, they can be drafted at anytime, but are property of a specific franchise for say 4 years. So whenever they decide to come out, they can only sign with the team that has their 'rights.' This is what ncaa hockey does, and no one has any complaints.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way this works is if you let the player decide when their ncaa career is over, they can be drafted at anytime, but are property of a specific franchise for say 4 years. So whenever they decide to come out, they can only sign with the team that has their 'rights.' This is what ncaa hockey does, and no one has any complaints.

Yep. I was gonna bring up college hockey. The team that drafts them has their rights for 4 years or whatever and they can leave at any time, but it's up to the player to decide when they go.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a better idea, but I think you would hear more complaints in basketball.

The announcers will inevitable be talking about the kid having been drafted, or rights secured or whatever. And unless you happen to have the hometown kid playing for the hometown school and drafted by the hometown team, you probably don't want to hear about it. Could you imagine being a St John fan (I can't either) and having to listen to the announcers talk about your best player playing for the Heat? It would be a nightmare.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a better idea, but I think you would hear more complaints in basketball.

The announcers will inevitable be talking about the kid having been drafted, or rights secured or whatever. And unless you happen to have the hometown kid playing for the hometown school and drafted by the hometown team, you probably don't want to hear about it. Could you imagine being a St John fan (I can't either) and having to listen to the announcers talk about your best player playing for the Heat? It would be a nightmare.

Yeah, I could see that, luckily not being an NBA makes it easy for me to brush that aside though.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
schools would never agree to this