• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys are botching the Romo situation.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City should trade for him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point what does it hurt for them to hold on to him and see if anyone gets desperate? If nothing else they release him post 6/1, just in time to free up cap space for the Martin extension.

To answer your question...nothing for DAL, but a lot for Romo.

If they wait until Jun to split up the dead money it's understandable, but if they indeed did put out the release info that was being reported, they're doing Tony a disservice imo.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer your question...nothing for DAL, but a lot for Romo.

If they wait until Jun to split up the dead money it's understandable, but if they indeed did put out the release info that was being reported, they're doing Tony a disservice imo.
Romo is one of the most likeable guys to ever wear the star, but please, a disservice? Jones has coddled Romo almost from the start and thankfully Garrett has finally gotten Jerry's ear. It's a business decision. They only reason to release Romo today would be for him to get an early start learning another teams system. Romo is a smart guy and will pick that up rather quickly when that time comes to flurecion, but the only concern for Dallas should be their team. A disservice would be trading Tony to Cleveland or the Jets, not making him wait another two plus months if that's what happens. Houston may be set in their ways and still ultimately land Romo's services but they are the fools for not parting with a 5th round draft choice to secure his services now. Poker 101 is required at this point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is one of the most likeable guys to ever wear the star, but please, a disservice? Jones has coddled Romo almost from the start and thankfully Garrett has finally gotten Jerry's ear. It's a business decision. They only reason to release Romo today would be for him to get an early start learning another teams system. Romo is a smart guy and will pick that up rather quickly when that time comes to flurecion, but the only concern for Dallas should be their team. A disservice would be trading Tony to Cleveland or the Jets, not making him wait another two plus months if that's what happens. Houston may be set in their ways and still ultimately land Romo's services but they are the fools for not parting with a 5th round draft choice to secure his services now. Poker 101 is required at this point.

There is no trade value for Romo, not even to CLE or NYJ.

DAL should be doing what's best for DAL...I agree 100%. I'm perfectly okay with how they are handling this (i.e. no dog in the fight), but if they are saying we're going to release you on Thursday (or whatever day it was reported or leaked last week) then you don't do it...why jerk his chain?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you can't have it both ways. Hank posted that Jerruh would find a way to do the best for Romo. If there's a guy who HAS to have his calls and O-line protection down perfect it's Romo. One seemingly incidental hit (hello Cliff Avril) away from being not just out for the game, but out for his career.

If Dallas can get something significant via a trade, then great, but if nobody is biting, then to hold out for a late round choice? That just says all Jerry's blather about loyalty is just that, blather.

I suspect you're right though, it's a business decision, and Jerry is going to hold out for the best he can get.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Part of me thinks that Romo is the one calling the shots and telling the Cowboys to hold off before releasing him. I think he is still deciding between retirement (ie. getting in the TV game) and playing and does not want to have to tell a team yes or no yet.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no trade value for Romo, not even to CLE or NYJ.

DAL should be doing what's best for DAL...I agree 100%. I'm perfectly okay with how they are handling this (i.e. no dog in the fight), but if they are saying we're going to release you on Thursday (or whatever day it was reported or leaked last week) then you don't do it...why jerk his chain?

I'm thinking Garrett, or maybe his son talked some sense in to jerry. That announcement reeked of jerry talking for headlines with zero thought to the actual situation. Jerry loves him some headlines.

You may be right about the trade market for Romo. I just think that's all the more reason to wait and see what happens. Stuff can chance in a hurry. Houston with their team will look pretty stupid if the miss out and go through another NFL season with subpar QB play. Trading 16M for 14M and an injury history and a 5th round pick is worth the gamble to me and seems to be for my buddies down in Houston.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me thinks that Romo is the one calling the shots and telling the Cowboys to hold off before releasing him. I think he is still deciding between retirement (ie. getting in the TV game) and playing and does not want to have to tell a team yes or no yet.
this seems more likely than Romo feeling disservice

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Garrett, or maybe his son talked some sense in to jerry. That announcement reeked of jerry talking for headlines with zero thought to the actual situation. Jerry loves him some headlines.

You may be right about the trade market for Romo. I just think that's all the more reason to wait and see what happens. Stuff can chance in a hurry. Houston with their team will look pretty stupid if the miss out and go through another NFL season with subpar QB play. Trading 16M for 14M and an injury history and a 5th round pick is worth the gamble to me and seems to be for my buddies down in Houston.

The announcement then nothing was a little weird so can believe somebody got to JJ and said pump the brakes on this.

Romo's contract...if you're only getting his $14mil base in '17, and you can release him with a $8.9 mil dead money hit in '18, that's not terrible.

At the same time, if you're HOU, or DEN, or NYJ, (especially DEN) signing Romo doesn't change your draft strategy, and you know DAL will be releasing Romo post Jun 1. Why give up any pick for him? You wait DAL out and workout a deal with him as a FA.

The Jets are not a serious contender imo, so HOU's main competition is most likely DEN and they are pretty tight on cap compared to HOU.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The announcement then nothing was a little weird so can believe somebody got to JJ and said pump the brakes on this.

Romo's contract...if you're only getting his $14mil base in '17, and you can release him with a $8.9 mil dead money hit in '18, that's not terrible.

At the same time, if you're HOU, or DEN, or NYJ, (especially DEN) signing Romo doesn't change your draft strategy, and you know DAL will be releasing Romo post Jun 1. Why give up any pick for him? You wait DAL out and workout a deal with him as a FA.

The Jets are not a serious contender imo, so HOU's main competition is most likely DEN and they are pretty tight on cap compared to HOU.

There are a couple of reasons why a trade could happen, however unlikely it may be. Player gets hurt, whiff on the draft or they see that Mike Glennon got $15 million a year, realize a bidding war could ensue and it may be cheaper to cough up a late round pick and take his $14 million instead of going against someone that overbids.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's even a little better. None of the salary left ($14M for 2017) is guaranteed which is why it's surprising they aren't getting some offers. Total of $19.6M still needs to hit the Dallas cap from bonuses and restructures. Either all this year or $10.7M in 2017 and $8.9M in 2018.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a couple of reasons why a trade could happen, however unlikely it may be. Player gets hurt, whiff on the draft or they see that Mike Glennon got $15 million a year, realize a bidding war could ensue and it may be cheaper to cough up a late round pick and take his $14 million instead of going against someone that overbids.

Well you have some interesting points there.

Injury...although guys can and do get hurt in OTAs or freak non-football related issues, but that would likely mean carrying Romo into late summer. The official NFL fiscal yr has already started (meaning the cap in in force) and DAL is barely showing enough to sign a draft class...they probably want to move him ASAP after the Jun 1 target date.

Draft...the draft is in May I think...maybe, but idk about that one.

Glennon...yeah, but do you give up any picks AND pay Glennon $15 mil per?...FWIW, he's 27, and really on a 3 yr deal with a 1 yr out.

I just don't see many good reasons to trade for Romo now...the best one you mentioned is injury, but aside from the freak situation, that's much later in the year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's even a little better. None of the salary left ($14M for 2017) is guaranteed which is why it's surprising they aren't getting some offers. Total of $19.6M still needs to hit the Dallas cap from bonuses and restructures. Either all this year or $10.7M in 2017 and $8.9M in 2018.

Good point...I think most teams realize DAL is really up against it (cap wise) and need to release Romo.

If Romo had shown more durability of late I think this a fairly easy trade, but with his health issues and giving up picks don't seem that attractive unless you have to do it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point...I think most teams realize DAL is really up against it (cap wise) and need to release Romo.

If Romo had shown more durability of late I think this a fairly easy trade, but with his health issues and giving up picks don't seem that attractive unless you have to do it.
When Free submits his paperwork Dallas is about $10.5M below the cap. There are also restructures they COULD do, but hopefully won't. Cutting Romo now would increase that to $15.5M. Unfortunately the cap issue kept them from signing any big name players, but they have the cap room they need to operate and bring in the rotation type guys they planned to all along. If they cut or trade Romo before 6/1 they will be in position to be players for a big FA again next year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even Joe Montana in his prime could help that pathetic Bears team.

To be fair, Joe Montana is pretty old and hasn't played pro ball for a looong time. ;)

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Joe Montana is pretty old and hasn't played pro ball for a looong time. ;)
I said Joe Montana in his prime. Please learn how to read.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Joe Montana in his prime. Please learn how to read.

I know you said Joe Montana...

I always read the first four words and then skip the next three and then read the rest. ;)

Just kidding, my fault, of course.

Reactions: GNG

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Free submits his paperwork Dallas is about $10.5M below the cap. There are also restructures they COULD do, but hopefully won't. Cutting Romo now would increase that to $15.5M. Unfortunately the cap issue kept them from signing any big name players, but they have the cap room they need to operate and bring in the rotation type guys they planned to all along. If they cut or trade Romo before 6/1 they will be in position to be players for a big FA again next year.

Yep, pretty tight. Draft classes cost about $5 mil or so...and most teams like to keep about $3-4 mil for emergency.

Some restructures are not bad, but it basically points to the obvious, you're robbing Peter to pay Paul...PIT was in that fold for several years...you're basically relegated to B or C level FAs and hopefully you hit in the draft.

Bottom line, Romo has some value obviously, but I think teams know DAL has to release him (or should) so they're waiting.