• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys are botching the Romo situation.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Outside of hate for the Dallas Cowboys, there are two distinct reasons that people don't see Romo as a top quarterback: Injuries and lack of success in the playoffs. That's it.

No doubt when healthy, his numbers are pretty spectacular. His statistics will go down as great but without that ring and the ability to play 16 games every year, he'll always have a stigma of not being one of the greats.
aka phillip rivers

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to overthecap, Dallas currently has only about $5M in cap space available. Cutting Romo as a post-June 1 move would bring them to nearly $20M in cap space. So yeah, there definitely is a good reason for Dallas to make the move now instead of hold onto him with some slim hope that there would be a trade partner...and a trade would only free up $5M in cap money.
That's not really true. They don't seem interested in spending that extra $5M if they were to get it right now. Also, they could just ask Doug Free to officially submit his retirement paperwork and that too creates $5M in space if they needed it. Maybe once teams see Romo in practice and preseason and look at what they are throwing out there on their own teams they start to feel offering a decent draft pick and $14M for Romo for one year is well worth it. Who knows, but waiting is the best move for Dallas at this point IMO

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just drivel from someone just looking for thread clicks

nothing to see here move along move along
LOL...no kidding!
Dallas Cowboys, always a story... even when there isn't a story.
wonder why it seems mostly seattle posters being clueless

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorta funny, some Dallas fans seemingly trying to argue that more cap space is not better than less and/or no advantage at all from having the extra space now vs later. C'mon.

so would a release still counts 19 mil towards the cap:suds:if they wait till after june 1 it will save 14 mil

Dallas Cowboys Salary Cap | Over the Cap
Yeah, except the team could cut him now and still designate it as a post 1 June cut to get that cap relief.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not really true. They don't seem interested in spending that extra $5M if they were to get it right now. Also, they could just ask Doug Free to officially submit his retirement paperwork and that too creates $5M in space if they needed it. Maybe once teams see Romo in practice and preseason and look at what they are throwing out there on their own teams they start to feel offering a decent draft pick and $14M for Romo for one year is well worth it. Who knows, but waiting is the best move for Dallas at this point IMO
Uh, what's not true -- that cutting him now (as a post 1 June move) provides a better cap relief? It's 100% factually true. You can have the opinion that it isn't a big deal if you want, but you cannot argue the numbers.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, what's not true -- that cutting him now (as a post 1 June move) provides a better cap relief? It's 100% factually true. You can have the opinion that it isn't a big deal if you want, but you cannot argue the numbers.
ummm...what i bolded???

Did I say it doesn't provide cap relief? That's just Math. Dallas doesn't seem interested in the extra $5M now or like I said they can have Free officially retire. I could say Seattle should cut everyone of their players as it would help them to acquire free agents, but I wouldn't because that would be a stupid statement...

Also,cutting Romo post 6/1 doesn't give them any cap relief "NOW" to sign free agents which is what your premise was so there's that too...carry on

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorta funny, some Dallas fans seemingly trying to argue that more cap space is not better than less and/or no advantage at all from having the extra space now vs later. C'mon.

Yeah, except the team could cut him now and still designate it as a post 1 June cut to get that cap relief.
No. No one is saying that. That's just a stupid comment:doh:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extensions for current players?
Yeah, because if you don't do those today you can't do them in a few months. You really don't quite get this do you...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok man sounds good.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also,cutting Romo post 6/1 doesn't give them any cap relief "NOW" to sign free agents which is what your premise was so there's that too...carry on
Haha, yeah, and you're telling me I'm the one who doesn't know how this works??? You're clueless.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Sorta funny, some Dallas fans seemingly trying to argue that more cap space is not better than less and/or no advantage at all from having the extra space now vs later. C'mon."

actually the better play to me is release him now or trade and not have him on the books at all in 2018

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Romo on the roster now counts as $24.7M towards the 2017 cap and there will be $8.9M to account for in future years. If he's cut now with a June 1st designation he'll count as $24.7M towards the cap until June 1st, $10.7M after June 1st, and $8.9M will count towards the 2018 cap. If he's cut now without a June 1st designation he count as $19.6M both now and after June 1st but there won't be any dead money after this season.

If the Cowboys don't have an immediate need for cap space they have no reason to make an immediate decision. If an acceptable trade is available the smart move would be to take it and deal with the $19.6M cap hit this year. (They can always move another player's money back to offset the bigger hit this year). If there is no trade available the smart play will be to release Romo with a June 1st designation. It won't 'save' any money but it will give them greater cap flexibility this year at 0 cost.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, yeah, and you're telling me I'm the one who doesn't know how this works??? You're clueless.

Really??? You sure you want to go there? I think you may want to read up on things like the post 6/1 designation...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really??? You sure you want to go there? I think you may want to read up on things like the post 6/1 designation...
here u go:suds:

Article 13, Section 6 (b) (ii) Acceleration.
(1) For any player removed from the Team's roster, or whose Contract is assigned to another Club via waivers or trade, on or before June 1 in any League Year prior to the Final League Year, or at any time during the Final League Year, any unamortized signing bonus amounts will be included in Team Salary for such League Year, except that for each League Year preceding the Final League Year, each Club may designate up to two Player Contracts that, if terminated on or prior to June 1 and if not renegotiated after the last regular season game of the prior League Year, shall be treated (except to the extent prescribed by Section 6(d) (iv) below) as if terminated on June 2, i.e., the Salary Cap charge for each such contract will remain in the Club's Team Salary until June 2, at which time its Paragraph 5 Salary and any unearned LTBE incentives will no longer be counted and any unamortized signing bonus will be treated as set forth in Subsection (2) below. If acceleration puts a Team over the Salary Cap, the Team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap, but may not sign any players until there is Room to do so under the Salary Cap.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just release Tony R and let him decide what's best. They aren't going to get a good return for him in a trade and they're only creating friction.

It's Romo, you were expecting?:scratch::noidea:

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe that the June 1st cut date is relevant again. The only reason it was a decade (or more) ago is that teams were so bad at managing their cap room. Now it's clearly just one team that's bad at it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe that the June 1st cut date is relevant again. The only reason it was a decade (or more) ago is that teams were so bad at managing their cap room. Now it's clearly just one team that's bad at it.
One team? You don't get out much...

and if you are talking about Dallas. Yup, they are still paying for the sins of the past, but they are miles better than they used to be. Which pretty much summarizes why they didn't cut Romo immediately and throw the $5M at the first FA they could find or restructure every possible player to bring in another FA. Garrett is running the show now and the needle is pointing up. If they cut/trade Romo before 6/1 they will be in great shape going forward. If they wait until 6/1 then the pain will continue into next year too...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One team? You don't get out much...

and if you are talking about Dallas. Yup, they are still paying for the sins of the past, but they are miles better than they used to be. Which pretty much summarizes why they didn't cut Romo immediately and throw the $5M at the first FA they could find or restructure every possible player to bring in another FA. Garrett is running the show now and the needle is pointing up. If they cut/trade Romo before 6/1 they will be in great shape going forward. If they wait until 6/1 then the pain will continue into next year too...
amen but it seems some of these guys need illustrations