• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys are botching the Romo situation.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how most Dallas fans are glad Dallas didn't pay large sums of money for marginable players at best.
Yet...the non Dallas fans forecast doom.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how most Dallas fans are glad Dallas didn't pay large sums of money for marginable players at best.

Well they are in Cap Hell so they couldn't.

But it (letting them go) was a prudent thing to do.

It does leave some holes to fill though.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they are in Cap Hell so they couldn't.

But it (letting them go) was a prudent thing to do.

It does leave some holes to fill though.
YEP...going to need to hit on two defensive back contributors from this draft.
Thankfully, the DB's draft class is strong this year and McClay seems up to the challenge

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eh, im not forecasting doom and gloom. I'm just saying had they released Romo early on they could have re-signed one or 2 of those guys, which would leave fewer holes to be filled by the draft.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, im not forecasting doom and gloom. I'm just saying had they released Romo early on they could have re-signed one or 2 of those guys, which would leave fewer holes to be filled by the draft.
I think Dallas has a plan and playing this they way they intended.
Time will tell if it was a mistake

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really true. There was zero problem signing any one of those guys if they wanted to. They are $5.5M under cap right now and if Free officially submits retirement papers (I suspect they told him to think it over or he would have) they get to $10.5M under cap. Way more than needed for any of one them and enough to sign any two other than Leary and Church with slight tinkering to details.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really true. There was zero problem signing any one of those guys if they wanted to. They are $5.5M under cap right now and if Free officially submits retirement papers (I suspect they told him to think it over or he would have) they get to $10.5M under cap. Way more than needed for any of one them and enough to sign any two other than Leary and Church with slight tinkering to details.

fair enough. their limited cap space made it impossible for them to sign upgrades though.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair enough. their limited cap space made it impossible for them to sign upgrades though.
IF they really loved a player they could have signed "upgrades". If they needed the $5M from Romo to make it $15M available then they would have just cut him. With $10M in cap space this year there were not many guys that hit the open market that they couldn't have afforded.

But, your general point is definitely true. They have a cap problem and can only do one or two things because of it. My point was they could have made some moves if they really wanted to.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were also picking top-5 each round compared to now bottom part of the draft. Very different mentality when trying to draft that late. Throw in depending on the draft to fix your issues is a very risky thought. Yes great draft last year but even the best drafting teams in the league know it is tough to project from year to year how a class will respond.

There is some risk element involved with the draft...no question, but most of the risk is at the top of the draft. When you're picking in the 20s or lower...there are good football players there, but they might not fill the need you have. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take that player.

Getting mid level or 2nd tier FAs to fill your holes should keep you out of drafting for need early.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF they really loved a player they could have signed "upgrades". If they needed the $5M from Romo to make it $15M available then they would have just cut him. With $10M in cap space this year there were not many guys that hit the open market that they couldn't have afforded.

But, your general point is definitely true. They have a cap problem and can only do one or two things because of it. My point was they could have made some moves if they really wanted to.

They were pretty handcuffed due to it. In the past, Jerry has been able to get players to rework their contracts and defer compensation later on. That only works for so long...it's like taking on more debt in order to finance your current debts.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking at the NFL Owners Meetings on Monday, Broncos GM John Elway continued to express confidence in Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian when asked about Denver's interest in Tony Romo.

Officially, Elway can't comment on Romo because he is on another team's roster. "We feel really good about the two young ones we have," Elway insisted. "Trevor did a good job for us last year and Paxton was young. The plan is to stay the course there. ... It'll be a great competition between them in the spring." If the Broncos do truly "stay the course," Siemian will be the favorite to open the season as their starting quarterback.
Source: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter
Mar 27

Just once I'd love to see one of these GM's tear these reporters a new one for even asking. Are they stupid? Do they not know the rule? Or - more likely - they know exactly what they're doing, and trying to catch Elway slipping up so that they can bust him and turn THAT into a story? Either way, its lowlife shit and another example of why reasonable Americans are turning on the media in this country.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking at the NFL Owners Meetings on Monday, Broncos GM John Elway continued to express confidence in Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian when asked about Denver's interest in Tony Romo.

Officially, Elway can't comment on Romo because he is on another team's roster. "We feel really good about the two young ones we have," Elway insisted. "Trevor did a good job for us last year and Paxton was young. The plan is to stay the course there. ... It'll be a great competition between them in the spring." If the Broncos do truly "stay the course," Siemian will be the favorite to open the season as their starting quarterback.
Source: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter
Mar 27

Just once I'd love to see one of these GM's tear these reporters a new one for even asking. Are they stupid? Do they not know the rule? Or - more likely - they know exactly what they're doing, and trying to catch Elway slipping up so that they can bust him and turn THAT into a story? Either way, its lowlife shit and another example of why reasonable Americans are turning on the media in this country.

It's funny that a reporter the other day got mad at a kid for asking a question that I thought was actually a decent one saying something like "the kid is wasting all of our time and we have deadlines to meet". Yet I don't see anybody calling out other reporters for questions like this that waste everybody's time when they know what the answer has to be.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett has made some mistakes in the management of games, but he's far and away the biggest reason Dallas is a contender. McClay may be the best scout in pro football..certainly 5

You know I come down hard on Garrett for needless penalties but he has the Boys pointed in the right direction. This young team is following his lead. McClay seemed to be in a class of his own last year. Top to bottom we did wonders. If Jaylon steps on the field and plays to his potential........I really don't know what kind of praises you could give our scouting team.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEP...going to need to hit on two defensive back contributors from this draft.
Thankfully, the DB's draft class is strong this year and McClay seems up to the challenge

Ever since we got Mo and brandon I had high hopes for our secondary. Neither did shit really and I am glad we bit the bullet and let them go. I thought we might have added a little more than Carroll but it is what it is. I am also hoping that we are in good shape at RT and we don't need to address that spot at all and if we do it comes from from within the organization instead of outside.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my original point.....IF he had a ring this would be a no brainer. Hell he's 4th ALL TIME in QB rating.....that's better than Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Kurt Warner......

His numbers are undeniable. The only people that make the feeble attempt are simply Cowboys haters. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if he played for literally ANY other franchise.
Wrong, he'd get criticized on any team for being 2-4 in the playoffs. Football is a team sport but unfortunately QBs get the W/L credit. His personal stats outshine what he's been able to accomplish as a leader for his team. Quality season QB with GOOD stats when healthy. That's his legacy. It is what it is.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is one of the most likeable guys to ever wear the star, but please, a disservice? Jones has coddled Romo almost from the start and thankfully Garrett has finally gotten Jerry's ear. It's a business decision. They only reason to release Romo today would be for him to get an early start learning another teams system. Romo is a smart guy and will pick that up rather quickly when that time comes to flurecion, but the only concern for Dallas should be their team. A disservice would be trading Tony to Cleveland or the Jets, not making him wait another two plus months if that's what happens. Houston may be set in their ways and still ultimately land Romo's services but they are the fools for not parting with a 5th round draft choice to secure his services now. Poker 101 is required at this point.
The disservice comes from limiting the number of teams Tony had/has to end up on. As the draft approaches the QB hungry teams are forced to look at FAs, trades or drafting a QB. As they start snatching up any QBs Romo's selection dwindles. Seems more like Jerry doesn't want Romo playing in Houston.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just keep poking at it needlessly. Tony has given no indication that he himself is not on "team Dak".

Even if true, totally understandable. These are NFL elites, with massive egos (how could you not?) with millions still to earn. Tony prob figured he had a few years before some 4th round QB even began threatening his job. Probably a lot for Romo to swallow right now. I could def see him feeling left out or even betrayed a little by guys he's worked with for years who are now looking past him and at Dak.