• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys are botching the Romo situation.

bstoves24

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,316.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just release Tony R and let him decide what's best. They aren't going to get a good return for him in a trade and they're only creating friction.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree. Someone would pick him up I'm sure but nobody is trading anything for a QB that is constantly injured and getting older. The hit that Avril put on him in preseason wasn't even that bad. I was SHOCKED when Romo was injured after seeing the hit in slow mo (which was like a one handed grab from behind as Romo was running out of the pocket).

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point what does it hurt for them to hold on to him and see if anyone gets desperate? If nothing else they release him post 6/1, just in time to free up cap space for the Martin extension.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point what does it hurt for them to hold on to him and see if anyone gets desperate? If nothing else they release him post 6/1, just in time to free up cap space for the Martin extension.

Oh I agree with what the Cowboys are doing, but just don't think they'll get anything for him. You at LEAST hang onto him until post draft... teams might get some draft picks they love or whiff on a QB they were targeting (if someone snags ahead) and get trigger happy on the phone to Dallas.

Cowboys seem to be done in free agency at this point and are clearly not targeting anyone major... and they already let Claiborne go.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree with what the Cowboys are doing, but just don't think they'll get anything for him. You at LEAST hang onto him until post draft... teams might get some draft picks they love or whiff on a QB they were targeting (if someone snags ahead) and get trigger happy on the phone to Dallas.

Cowboys seem to be done in free agency at this point and are clearly not targeting anyone major... and they already let Claiborne go.

I might start talking him up if I was Dallas. Maybe say you are thinking about Kerping him because he will give Dak a run. Houston will be desperate soon

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might start talking him up if I was Dallas. Maybe say you are thinking about Kerping him because he will give Dak a run. Houston will be desperate soon

Good ol' Houston, lol.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. There is no rush. The OP makes no sense (but what random 3:22am EST posts do). So they could have cut him a month ago or worst case scenario cut him a month or two from now. What's the difference? Maybe a team in the mix loses a QB or maybe one of these teams waiting the Cowboys out blinks first and makes an offer. To just release him doesn't really help unless they are planning on doing something with those cap dollars. To say there is friction is silly. If they trade him to Cle or make him sit on the bench all year that could create friction, but what they are doing right now does not.

If Dallas made a mistake it was not making it clear from day 1 that they would NOT release him and make teams think they needed to trade for him or they wouldn't get him. Now some teams are just waiting due to early reports he would be cut I think. On a trade it's not the draft pick that is holding it up IMO. Any team that wants him would easily give up a mid round pick for a QB of his caliber even with the injury risk. What is likely holding it up is the $14M salary. If I am a QB needy team I pay him that in a second just for the chance he will be healthy in the playoffs, but I get why teams would be reluctant for a guy that could sneeze and go out for the year. Of course those teams will find themselves in the exact same position this year as last year if they let him go.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him until they don't have to. He's the best backup QB option in the league right now. I understand he wants to start......but he may not get that opportunity, and Dallas doesn't lose anything keeping him since they aren't paying Dak.

When someone wants him as a starter and is willing to pay for it.......THEN let him go. Even if it's just a 6th rounder or something.

I actually don't think his injury history is the biggest problem......his contract is.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him until they don't have to. He's the best backup QB option in the league right now. I understand he wants to start......but he may not get that opportunity, and Dallas doesn't lose anything keeping him since they aren't paying Dak.

When someone wants him as a starter and is willing to pay for it.......THEN let him go. Even if it's just a 6th rounder or something.

I actually don't think his injury history is the biggest problem......his contract is.
Interesting comment to hear from one of the biggest Romo fans in the world, who repeatedly talks as if he is the best QB in the league, and one of a small group of Cowboys fans that has shown to be more of a fan of Romo than the team...so you are saying that a team that has no concerns about Romo getting hurt isn't willing to give him a measly $14M for one year and still have options on him for two more years? So you think the league feels guys like Glennon are better? :thumb:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comment to hear from one of the biggest Romo fans in the world, who repeatedly talks as if he is the best QB in the league, and one of a small group of Cowboys fans that has shown to be more of a fan of Romo than the team...so you are saying that a team that has no concerns about Romo getting hurt isn't willing to give him a measly $14M for one year and still have options on him for two more years? So you think the league feels guys like Glennon are better? :thumb:

???

I've never ONCE said Romo was the best QB in the league, or positioned him as more important than the team. You got me confused with someone else. I DO defend him from nonsensical haters, because Romo IS a top 10 QB in the league, and his numbers bear that out. Hell if he had a ring he'd be a HOFer no question.

I don't think teams are as scared of his injuries as they are of his contract. If he could be had for 8-10 mill I think a LOT of teams would be lining up for a crack at him.

He's still a better option at QB than about 25 current starters.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post makes no sense. Of course, they'll hold onto him to see of any team is interested in trading for him (very unlikely). Houston traded Asswiper to free up cap space to sign him. They most likely won't trade for him and are just waiting till Dallas releases him.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the opportunity to trade him died with the trade of Osweiler- unless the Cowboys want to GIVE UP picks to lose Romo just to be rid of his contract.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo hasn't been Romo in 2 years.

His trade value should be a lot less than people think because Romo is only going to want to go to a team where he can win a Super Bowl.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

I've never ONCE said Romo was the best QB in the league, or positioned him as more important than the team. You got me confused with someone else. I DO defend him from nonsensical haters, because Romo IS a top 10 QB in the league, and his numbers bear that out. Hell if he had a ring he'd be a HOFer no question.

I don't think teams are as scared of his injuries as they are of his contract.
If he could be had for 8-10 mill I think a LOT of teams would be lining up for a crack at him.

He's still a better option at QB than about 25 current starters.
Being a non Dallas fan, I completely disagree with the bolded parts. If TR had a healthy injury history, teams would be fighting for the chance to trade for him. He would be worth roughly $20M annually.

Danny Noonan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What teams want Romo is the question

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree. Someone would pick him up I'm sure but nobody is trading anything for a QB that is constantly injured and getting older. The hit that Avril put on him in preseason wasn't even that bad. I was SHOCKED when Romo was injured after seeing the hit in slow mo (which was like a one handed grab from behind as Romo was running out of the pocket).

That was an awkward hit with a bad landing. Basically came down on top of his spinal column.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just release Tony R and let him decide what's best. They aren't going to get a good return for him in a trade and they're only creating friction.

They won't get anything if they release. So what about a good return? What he does after he's traded isn't their concern (doing well or not, being where he wants to be or not, etc.).

Now, there can be other factors that may have an affect with players, free agents, etc. But the way the Packers traded Favre to the Jets, that was best for them even if they could have gotten more from Minnesota or an NFC team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If no one will trade because they know the Cowboys will eventually have to release, I guess a release would free up their cap, help PR wise, be the "right thing to do," etc. It lets them move on. I was just addressing the "won't get a good return" not whether they'd get anything at all. Don't know if Romo would refuse to report, not pass a physical, etc. if he doesn't like the team and the team would be best to know whether he's in before they trade and pay him.