• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins to the jets or broncos

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
considering that only Kyle Slotter is under contract in Minnesota, we might be snoozing too hard on the Vikes too. I know its pretty much assumed they'll keep at least one of Bradford, Bridgewater, and Keenum, but, never know

Minnesota actually makes more sense than any listed in the odds.

My buddy is a huge Viking fan and he thinks they are going to make a big play for Cousins. They have the cap space and can't really count on any of their 3 FA QBs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am telling you, bet on the Vikings.

Odds should be near the top. Jets line is silly. Almost no chance he goes there. Cleveland is more attractive given ther assets.

I think there is a decent chance he does land with the Vikings. Still I don't discount teams that haven't been good as of late. I agree that it isn't as simple as the highest bidder, but don't see him accepting a offer that isn't close to his market value either. So teams with limited cap space ( Bronco 26 mil, Jags 16 mil, Cards 8) are probably not going be in the hunt for him for long. Course teams can always try to do a salary dump to create space, but that is easier said then done.

Browns with 109 mil is who I see as the favorite to sign him with some young talent, high draft picks and can easily sign more players then just Cousin, then the Vikings with 50 mil....if they think the hit to cap space is worth it over Keenum and a much smaller hit to their cap. Then the Jets, but only as a last resort. They have 72 mil in cap space, so not only can they afford it, they can still add players in the FA market in addition to signing Cousins.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams with low cap space can still finagle the guaranteed money and adjust the progressive actual salary. I think players are more interested in the guaranteed cash anyway.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams with low cap space can still finagle the guaranteed money and adjust the progressive actual salary. I think players are more interested in the guaranteed cash anyway.
Guaranteed money is what counts of course and Cousin will set a record for biggest $ guaranteed contract regardless of who he signs with. I think it would be difficult to keep Cousins cap hit under 20 mil year one, even with financial gyrations. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that is how I see it for now. Thus I feel the team that signs him needs a fair amount of cap space, otherwise his contract would be a obstacle in trying to improve. Cousins is good, but he isn't great so makes no sense for a team to put themselves in a financial bind to sign him, so it is going to be a team with health cap space and the need and a decent chance to be a upcoming team. It's going to be the Browns IMO.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guaranteed money is what counts of course and Cousin will set a record for biggest $ guaranteed contract regardless of who he signs with. I think it would be difficult to keep Cousins cap hit under 20 mil year one, even with financial gyrations. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that is how I see it for now. Thus I feel the team that signs him needs a fair amount of cap space, otherwise his contract would be a obstacle in trying to improve. Cousins is good, but he isn't great so makes no sense for a team to put themselves in a financial bind to sign him, so it is going to be a team with health cap space and the need and a decent chance to be a upcoming team. It's going to be the Browns IMO.
Maybe not great but look at the guys ahead of him statistically...
Brady, Brees, Rodgers roethlisberger.... They're all in the twilight of their careers.
2 or 3 more years and they're gone.
Add in eli, rivers and smith...
To me that makes a guy like Cousins more valuable

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not great but look at the guys ahead of him statistically...
Brady, Brees, Rodgers roethlisberger.... They're all in the twilight of their careers.
2 or 3 more years and they're gone.
Add in eli, rivers and smith...
To me that makes a guy like Cousins more valuable

Cousins is valuable and I like him as a QB, but no one mistakes him for Arron Rogers. Even good teams have needs beyond QB, if your strapped for cap space does it make sense to sign a extremely expensive FA ? Doesn't seem prudent to me. Then on the other hand if you got 109 million in cap space, two top five draft picks, 4 in top 35, 5 in top 60 and you have a immediate need at QB, then it makes all the sense in the world to sign Cousins.
Dorsey must feel he's got a dream job, being the Browns GM. So many ways to improve. Sign Cousin, sign guard Andrew Norwell away from Panthers, trade pick 35 for Earl Thomas and still have pick #1, pick #4 and pick #33 plus a slew of other picks.
The Browns just make so much sense as the landing spot for Cousins.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is valuable and I like him as a QB, but no one mistakes him for Arron Rogers. Even good teams have needs beyond QB, if your strapped for cap space does it make sense to sign a extremely expensive FA ? Doesn't seem prudent to me. Then on the other hand if you got 109 million in cap space, two top five draft picks, 4 in top 35, 5 in top 60 and you have a immediate need at QB, then it makes all the sense in the world to sign Cousins.
Dorsey must feel he's got a dream job, being the Browns GM. So many ways to improve. Sign Cousin, sign guard Andrew Norwell away from Panthers, trade pick 35 for Earl Thomas and still have pick #1, pick #4 and pick #33 plus a slew of other picks.
The Browns just make so much sense as the landing spot for Cousins.

I agree they make sense in some aspects.

But, unless Dorsey can convince Cousins that he has a legit plan in place to make them much better both This year and in the future, he won't consider them regardless of the financials. Being in the right environment matters to him, and the Browns have been a clown show for most of the last decade.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is much, much better. Those guys aren't viable NFL starters. Cousins is a top 10 QB

Yeah I thought that was a crazy comment. He is obviously much better than those guys

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they make sense in some aspects.

But, unless Dorsey can convince Cousins that he has a legit plan in place to make them much better both This year and in the future, he won't consider them regardless of the financials. Being in the right environment matters to him, and the Browns have been a clown show for most of the last decade.

Yes the Browns have been dismal failures for most of the decade, but I for one like plan they seem to be following. They have some young talent on hand, slew of draft picks including 2 top 5 and the cap space to add talent through the FA market. Think the opportunity to be the QB that helps make the Browns relevant once again could be something Cousins finds attractive. Browns can offer him the contract he thinks he deserves and without feeling he sucked up all their cap space, no need for tricky financial maneuvers by the Browns and he can receive a straight forward contract...instead of one designed to help a team fit him in their cap space

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'd never argue he's not a ton better than Crapstick or that ilk, I wouldn't go so far as to say top 10. Stats compiled by both the system and necessity are not the entire measure of what makes a "great QB"
To win any one game, I'd take any of Rodgers, RW, Luck, Brees, Big Ben, Brady, Wentz, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Stafford, Goff, Carr, maybe even Cam and Dalton over Cousins. Debatable as to whether he's "better" than guys like Prescott, Eli, Winston, Marriota, Tyrod, Flacco, and Trannyhill. He's no doubt above average, but he's about to become, without a doubt, the most overhyped, overpaid signing of the year, simply because he's the best of what will be available and six teams will be bidding him up.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'd never argue he's not a ton better than Crapstick or that ilk, I wouldn't go so far as to say top 10. Stats compiled by both the system and necessity are not the entire measure of what makes a "great QB"
To win any one game, I'd take any of Rodgers, RW, Luck, Brees, Big Ben, Brady, Wentz, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Stafford, Goff, Carr, maybe even Cam and Dalton over Cousins. Debatable as to whether he's "better" than guys like Prescott, Eli, Winston, Marriota, Tyrod, Flacco, and Trannyhill. He's no doubt above average, but he's about to become, without a doubt, the most overhyped, overpaid signing of the year, simply because he's the best of what will be available and six teams will be bidding him up.

Well,

Alex Smith is not better than Cousins. Neither is Goff. At least not now. Luck can't stay on the field and has had major TO issues. He has a higher ceiling that Cousins for sure, but much more risky. If cost weren't an issue and all 30 GMs had to choose between Luck and Cousins, I bet at least 25 would pick Cousins. That might be different next year, but not right now.

Ryan and Stafford are in the same tier as Cousins. Honestly, Wilson probably is too. He gets a tad overrated IMO. You want to put those guys ahead of Kirk, I get that, but it is close.

Carr no. Dalton, hell no. And Scam belongs in the tier with those others mentioned above.

Of the guys definitely better, 2 are 40 and one more has retirement rumors swirling around him every off season.

So yeah, Kirk is top 10. Low end top 10, but top 10. The Redskins are a shitshow of an organization and he has been one of few bright spots.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not even touching the guys mentioned in the last sentence, because it isn't close.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But yes.

He is going to be very overpaid.

Then again, most free agents are. It is kind of the entire point of free agency. There is also a reason no QB as good as Cousins has been allowed to hit the FA market in a long time.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns?
I'll say this... They have some talent at the skill positions and their o-line is pretty solid.
They just hired Todd Haley whom I have a ton of respect for.
Cleveland gets a boost in my book.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even touching the guys mentioned in the last sentence, because it isn't close.

Well yeah Cousin has performed better them those in the last sentence, but will he going forward? I for one will be watching to see how he does in a new thus strange environment. Also some those young QBs are going to take a step forward I would think.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,

Alex Smith is not better than Cousins. Neither is Goff. At least not now. Luck can't stay on the field and has had major TO issues. He has a higher ceiling that Cousins for sure, but much more risky. If cost weren't an issue and all 30 GMs had to choose between Luck and Cousins, I bet at least 25 would pick Cousins. That might be different next year, but not right now.

Ryan and Stafford are in the same tier as Cousins. Honestly, Wilson probably is too. He gets a tad overrated IMO. You want to put those guys ahead of Kirk, I get that, but it is close.

Carr no. Dalton, hell no. And Scam belongs in the tier with those others mentioned above.

Of the guys definitely better, 2 are 40 and one more has retirement rumors swirling around him every off season.

So yeah, Kirk is top 10. Low end top 10, but top 10. The Redskins are a shitshow of an organization and he has been one of few bright spots.

Apparently we've got differing definitions on good, and I don't care enough as to whether he's number 12 or 20 to get into a lengthy debate about it. But, Luck being injured and Brady/Bree's being 40 doesn't mean they aren't currently better QB's going into 2018.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently we've got differing definitions on good, and I don't care enough as to whether he's number 12 or 20 to get into a lengthy debate about it. But, Luck being injured and Brady/Bree's being 40 doesn't mean they aren't currently better QB's going into 2018.

Brady and Brees, no. Not heading into 2018. Very possibly coming out of it though.

Luck? Maybe.

Lots of variables there. I don't think anybody knows for sure what Luck will be moving forward.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah Cousin has performed better them those in the last sentence, but will he going forward? I for one will be watching to see how he does in a new thus strange environment. Also some those young QBs are going to take a step forward I would think.

They very well could.

Then again, Cousins could surpass Brees and Brady next year if they fall off.

Cousins is pretty safe given his skill set and age. He isn't going to put a team on his back because he isn't that guy. But he is definitely good enough to win and win a lot in the right environment. Washington isn't it. I hope for his sake he doesn't pick another bad organization.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take from the last handful of posts - Tlance likes Cousins. .... :2cents: