• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Titans Be Contenders In The AFC For 2017?

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cleardot.gif

Wanted to start off by saying i am satisfied with our progress last season. The Titans won nine games and had a winning season while sharing the best record in the division with Houston.

Tennessee defeated the defending Super Bowl champ Denver Broncos as well as a few teams that made the postseason like Green Bay,Detroit,Houston,Miami,Kansas City.

Week Ten they routed the Packers 47-25 the most points the Packers have given up since 1986 when they lost 55-24 to the Giants. Tennessee scored 35 points first half the most by any team in first half last year.

That win capped off a three week run of 118 points scored. However the toughest victory was the 19-17 last second comeback over KC at Arrowhead to win in freezing single digit conditions.

There is no doubt GM Jon Robinson did a great job in his first year here. Robinson was only on the job a few weeks before making that blockbuster draft trade with the Rams for the Titans top pick in the 2016 draft.

After trading the Rams the top pick Titans had 6 picks out of the first 76 in the draft which was the most of anyone in the draft since the 1991 Dallas Cowboys who had 7 in 70 and got 5 SB starters in that draft.

The last three teams with at least 6 picks among first 76 picks all reached Super Bowl within 5 years: 91 Boys, 82 Pats, 75 Rams. Could the Titans keep the streak going and eventually make it to the big game as well?

In the draft they were able to land OT Jack Conklin,RB Derrick Henry,WR Tajae Sharpe all contributors offensively as well as S Kevin Byard,CB LeShaun Sims,OLB Aaron Wallace were defensive contributors also.

All ten draft choices played in games during the 2016 season.

RB Demarco Murray,WR Rishard Matthews,OC Ben Jones were big pick ups in free agency and helped the team as starters in 2016.

However one thing is for certain and that is the fact that this team has a bright future ahead and QB Marcus Mariota will be healthy and ready to roll once the 2017 season starts.

As of November 24,2016, Mariota was the first QB in modern NFL history with six four-TD performances in his first 22 career games. No other QB had more to start a career.

Mariota is the first QB in NFL history to have 3 games with 70.0+ completion %, at least 4 TD passes and no INTs in his first 2 seasons.

Marcus Mariota is a stud in the red zone as well. 33 TDs and 0 Ints in his short career. Titan’s have the NFL’s best red-zone offense. They score a TD 75 percent of the time they get inside the 20.

Only Tom Brady 6.1 and Aaron Rodgers 6.0 have a higher TD rate than Mariota (5.5%) since he entered the NFL in 2015.

On passes of 20+ yards in 2016 Mariota had 41 completions of 20-plus yards. Only Atlanta’s Matt Ryan and New Orleans’ Drew Brees had more.

So far in 27 games Mariota had 506 of 821 passes completed, 61.6%, 6244 yards, 45TD/19INT, 93.8 passer rating.

The Titans first four of five games are against teams who made the postseason including Oakland,Seattle,Houston,Miami.

Will be interesting to see who they pick in the up coming NFL draft we know a WR and CB will most likely be picked early.

If Mariota can stay healthy and avoid injury then the sky is definitely the limit.............

Reactions: 006

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is a contender in that division. Tallest midget gets an embarrassing playoff appearance.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans should be able to win that division easily. They have a good front 7 and the GLARING weakness in the secondary was fixed with free agency and they just happen to have lots of early picks in quite possibly the most stacked secondary draft in NFL history thanks to Jared Goof (no that was not a misspell) and the LOL Rams (LA Rams? LOL Rams would be more fitting).

The Titans also have one of the best lines in the NFL... PFF graded it #1, so as long as Conklin doesn't have a sophomore slump, Mariota should be able to stay healthy and Murray will have giant holes. They can grab John Ross with their 2nd 1st rounder and a stud CB with the Jared Goof pick.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Tenn...

But they're a bad franchise. A truly horrible franchise. They've made being a bad franchise a verb. People forget this just because of how awful CLE has been for most of the time since their rebirth.

They haven't proven otherwise yet. So I'll be very cautiously optimistic. But I won't be predicting a SB berth until after they actually win something.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help when your QB gets hurt. They looked pretty decent before that.

He got hurt week 16 after they were already getting routed by an awful Jax team. A game that cost them the division.

Again, they're a bad franchise. This is what they do.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should honestly be embarrassed if they don't win the South this year. Should be a layup. The Colts haven't had a chance to undo the damage Grigson has done yet and the Texans and Jags are a hot mess.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on what Houston does at QB I could see the Titans winning the South.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on what Houston does at QB I could see the Titans winning the South.
Thing is outside of Trubisky, arguably none are ready to start for 1-2 years. It'll probably be bad either way in the short-term in Houston.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they kill this draft absolutely. If they don't they will still compete for the AFC South if Mariota stays healthy.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they kill this draft absolutely. If they don't they will still compete for the AFC South if Mariota stays healthy.

I'm still waiting for how they're gonna screw it up.

It's a virtual certainty.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is outside of Trubisky, arguably none are ready to start for 1-2 years. It'll probably be bad either way in the short-term in Houston.

Yet every QB in this draft has more "game" experience than Trubinsky and some have big time game experience against legit NFL players.

The hype on Trubinsky is nuts. He's started 1 year in college that's it

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet every QB in this draft has more "game" experience than Trubinsky and some have big time game experience against legit NFL players.

Funny thing is I think the other QB's are going to have better careers than Trubisky. I for one am hoping for Kizer.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When have the type of combo that he has with accuracy and athleticism, you're gonna get some serious hype.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When have the type of combo that he has with accuracy and athleticism, you're gonna get some serious hype.

8.4 yards per attempt and yes good accuracy. But he's done it for 1 year. The media does it every year. Goff was last year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should honestly be embarrassed if they don't win the South this year. Should be a layup. The Colts haven't had a chance to undo the damage Grigson has done yet and the Texans and Jags are a hot mess.

IDK about the lay up part, but with a successful draft to fill a couple holes their in good shape to be a play off team.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
told you all they'd screw this up.

jesus christ.

take a guy at 5 they could've gotten at 18.

fuck this franchise.

Right in the ass.

NO lube.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a horrible franchise.

Jesus christ.

I hate this team. So much.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
told you all they'd screw this up.

jesus christ.

take a guy at 5 they could've gotten at 18.

fuck this franchise.

Right in the ass.

NO lube.

What a horrible franchise.

Jesus christ.

I hate this team. So much.

For the past 8-10 years I've shared the same sentiment you have about the Titans franchise. Complete dumpster fire. Since Bud's senile pathetic ass croaked I've been very happy about what his daughter has done. She seems to have more knowledge of todays nfl than her old man. Jon Robinson was a yuuge add. He's done more from the GM side over the past two years for the Titans than people understand. I don't think the Titans are gong to start contending for AFC championships this year, but the AFC south should be winnable.

I liked last nights picks. I don't know much about Corey Davis, but trust Robinson from what he's done for the past two years. I love the Adoree Jackson pick. He should be contending for a nickle position this year and takes the worst return team in the league to another level. I've followed Jackson since he was in high school and the vols were on his final 4 list. Seems like a great kid and very gifted. :2cents:

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the past 8-10 years I've shared the same sentiment you have about the Titans franchise. Complete dumpster fire. Since Bud's senile pathetic ass croaked I've been very happy about what his daughter has done. She seems to have more knowledge of todays nfl than her old man. Jon Robinson was a yuuge add. He's done more from the GM side over the past two years for the Titans than people understand. I don't think the Titans are gong to start contending for AFC championships this year, but the AFC south should be winnable.

I liked last nights picks. I don't know much about Corey Davis, but trust Robinson from what he's done for the past two years. I love the Adoree Jackson pick. He should be contending for a nickle position this year and takes the worst return team in the league to another level. I've followed Jackson since he was in high school and the vols were on his final 4 list. Seems like a great kid and very gifted. :2cents:

I'm not impressed at all with his offseason so far.

Jonathan Allen and Howard or Foster.

That's a crushed draft.

Hell he could've moved down and still gotten that duo.