• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Scherff be #1 in NFL Draft?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandt is a heavy hitting name in NFL circles. Scherff is a heavy hitting offensive lineman for Iowa who would have been a first round pick had he turned pro this past year. But Scherff is coming back, as Gallery did for the 2003 season.

Scherff also shows up in a few places on this NFL.com ‘best of the best’ series…as the best athlete in college football and one of the toughest.

Scherff is considered one of the best, if not THE best, run blockers in college football. His pass protection skills will be under the magnifying glass this year and if he makes strides there, he may have a shot at going #1…which of course depends on who has the pick and what needs they have, in addition to what other players are in next year’s draft.

There could be several quarterbacks worthy of the top pick and that typically seals the fate of an offensive lineman going #1 overall, but if Scherff stays healthy and improves in pass protection, it could be a black and gold day next May during the 2015 NFL draft on night one.

Could Scherff Go #1 in Draft? | Hawkeye Nation

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of a crippling injury I don't see a reason why Scherff would not go in the top 7 or 8 in next year's draft assuming he continues on the pace he's set the past 3 years. He was already projected as a first rounder so I have little doubt he'll continue to improve and get bigger/stronger/faster and NFL teams will be lining up for a kid like that for next year's draft.

#1? Probably not, but top 3 is not out of the question depending on how the draft shakes out. If a team like Jacksonville has a terrible year this year and has their franchise QB already lined up (Bortles), they could very well go to the OL next.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I wrestled in college, I got up to 500 lbs in squat as 1 rep, but there's no way I came anywhere near 443 lbs in cleans.

Cool to see...but let's face it, can the human body (joints & ligaments) perform like that? Seems like athletes at this level are getting help to move large weight piles...

I sure hope he is clean!!!

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandt is a heavy hitting name in NFL circles. Scherff is a heavy hitting offensive lineman for Iowa who would have been a first round pick had he turned pro this past year. But Scherff is coming back, as Gallery did for the 2003 season.

Scherff also shows up in a few places on this NFL.com ‘best of the best’ series…as the best athlete in college football and one of the toughest.

Scherff is considered one of the best, if not THE best, run blockers in college football. His pass protection skills will be under the magnifying glass this year and if he makes strides there, he may have a shot at going #1…which of course depends on who has the pick and what needs they have, in addition to what other players are in next year’s draft.

There could be several quarterbacks worthy of the top pick and that typically seals the fate of an offensive lineman going #1 overall, but if Scherff stays healthy and improves in pass protection, it could be a black and gold day next May during the 2015 NFL draft on night one.

Could Scherff Go #1 in Draft? | Hawkeye Nation

If you want to see the guy go #1 overall, I'd recommend keeping the Gallery comparisons at a minimum.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually for Gallery, the issue was he got drafted by an organization and a coach who screwed him up royally...the Raiders moved him from left tackle to right and changed his stances and then moved him out to left guard and around and around...when he finally left and got to Seattle, he was not bad, but he was just used up, Oakland took his heart. I would call him a bust yes since he got a perfect 9.0 pre draft rating, but the bust part had a lot to do with Oakland's horrible coaching mismanagement of using him in the right position.

College wise though, there was no comparison, the most dominate Outland Trophy winner since the turn of the century, not bad for a skinny kid who started his career at tight end and from a little Iowa hometown of 5200.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never understand calling Gallery a "bust." A bust, to me, is someone like Ryan Leaf who comes and goes within a year or two and really is a disaster when he touches the field. Gallery started on an NFL offensive line for, what, 7 consecutive years?

You can say he didn't live up to his #2 pick, but as Hawkeye said they switched positions on him. Would be like drafting Johnny Manziel at QB, suddenly moving him to WR and then when he isn't an All Pro you call him a "bust" even though the coaching staff thought enough of him to start him every game for 7 straight years. Give me a break.

Beyond that, Gallery did play well at guard. Again, after being moved to another position.

And yes, the human body is really not capable of lifting such heavy weights without some form of hormonal help. There are very, very rare exceptions but if I was a betting man I'd say Scherff....and a large chunk of college and professional lineman....either are juicing or have juiced at some point in their lives.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Gallery was good enough to be signed 2x after the Raiders.

Also, wasn't the Raiders offensive line horrible to begin with. I mean, usually a team that picks an OL #2 means the OL is hurting.