• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Nebraska Build A Top Tier Offense?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska fans are apprehensive.

Argument against: Minimal in state talent. Can’t recruit the speed necessary for This scheme.

For: Already brought in a better recruiting class in his first year than UCF has ever had with an abundance of Florida speed.

Against: Big Ten defenses are bigger and badder than anything Frost faced as OC at Oregon and HC at UCF

For: The Big Ten West is very winnable. Nebraska regularly out recruits every team in the division. The only thing missing is a true identity as a team.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Jaevon McQuitty

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone in Lincoln is sucking Athlon's pecker. The entire PAC 12 conference combined doesn't have half as many articles than Nebraska has on that rag.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@AlaskaGuy if I didn't know better I'd think Nebraska was your second team

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@AlaskaGuy if I didn't know better I'd think Nebraska was your second team
I've only had good experiences with Nebraska fans. Back in ... '96 or '97 .. the time NU upset UW in Seattle, me and my dad got to the stadium way fvkn early to get our drink on and there was an older couple standing on the shore wearing Nebraska sweatshirts and taking pics of the boats, mountains, etc .. so my dad hollered out to them and asked them if they wanted to go for a boat ride. We ended up taking them by Bill Gates mansion so they could get some pics of it and then we took them for a burger and brew in Kirkland ... a few of those restaurants there have waitresses that take your order and serve out on the dock so you don't have to leave your boat. That couple was cooler than fvck. Super nice people and my dad has visited them a few times that I know of on his Sturgis runs.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something about this whole transition reminds me a lot of Michigan and Rich Rod. Nebraska flipping to an offense they really don't have the athletes for, meanwhile their biggest problems in the past few years have been defense. Nebraska is kind of like Wisconsin and Iowa in the sense that they've relied on large corn-fed humans to win football games in the past and now they're trying to do the exact opposite. We shall see, I could see it going really poorly.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something about this whole transition reminds me a lot of Michigan and Rich Rod. Nebraska flipping to an offense they really don't have the athletes for, meanwhile their biggest problems in the past few years have been defense. Nebraska is kind of like Wisconsin and Iowa in the sense that they've relied on large corn-fed humans to win football games in the past and now they're trying to do the exact opposite. We shall see, I could see it going really poorly.

I don't think the transition is quite that drastic. Nebraska ran a spread prior to Riley taking over and ran a multiple set offense last year. They haven't run the I formation in like 15 years. Going from that to this version offense I would agree. But maybe that's the overall problem. They haven't been relevant since leaving the I formation offense. But for them to have a top tier offense they need to have a top tier QB, something they haven't had in nearly 2 decades.

HuskerNGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against: Big Ten defenses are bigger and badder than anything Frost faced as OC at Oregon and HC at UCF

Count me as skeptical but Auburn's defense was as bad as they come. 14th in yds/g. UCF didn't torch them but obviously won the game and gained almost 100 yds more than what Auburn averaged giving up.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best they can hope for is to become Texas Tech with some defense.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as skeptical but Auburn's defense was as bad as they come. 14th in yds/g. UCF didn't torch them but obviously won the game and gained almost 100 yds more than what Auburn averaged giving up.
Oregon had a pretty good record vs B1G teams before Chip left and Frost learned from him.

HuskerNGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon had a pretty good record vs B1G teams before Chip left and Frost learned from him.

Yea and I think Urban consistently proves the spread can work in B1G. Obviously they have a lot of talent too. What scares me the most is what will happen to the defense. Having lived through the Chip Kelly Eagles, that offense just works against defense in general. While Chip was there the defense was last in most stats. Year after he left? Top 10 with Jim Schwartz and now better. Just proves the talent was there but cant win against 2 offenses.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea and I think Urban consistently proves the spread can work in B1G. Obviously they have a lot of talent too. What scares me the most is what will happen to the defense. Having lived through the Chip Kelly Eagles, that offense just works against defense in general. While Chip was there the defense was last in most stats. Year after he left? Top 10 with Jim Schwartz and now better. Just proves the talent was there but cant win against 2 offenses.
This ^^ ... you nailed it. That offense doesn't do the defense any favors. It's either 3 and out or TD ... there's no inbetween and no eating up the clock.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly left Oregon in 2012. To that point, Oregon was 13-24 against B1G teams. He only beat one good one in Wisconsin (who was 11-3 that year), and then he beat lowly Purdue twice. To this point, Oregon has 17 wins vs. the B1G, and 11 of those were against teams that were .500 or below.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the transition is quite that drastic. Nebraska ran a spread prior to Riley taking over and ran a multiple set offense last year. They haven't run the I formation in like 15 years. Going from that to this version offense I would agree. But maybe that's the overall problem. They haven't been relevant since leaving the I formation offense. But for them to have a top tier offense they need to have a top tier QB, something they haven't had in nearly 2 decades.
It seems like they're trying to do even more of what hasn't worked for them.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like they're trying to do even more of what hasn't worked for them.

I would agree. But I don't think there will be that huge transition like there was from Carr to Rich Rod. That was clear as day in that first season. There wasn't a capable QB on Michigan's roster to run that offense the first year. I think Gebbia may be capable because he doesn't look like a stiff.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree. But I don't think there will be that huge transition like there was from Carr to Rich Rod. That was clear as day in that first season. There wasn't a capable QB on Michigan's roster to run that offense the first year. I think Gebbia may be capable because he doesn't look like a stiff.
Supposedly Frost is watching the OSU QB battle like a hawk. Assuming Haskins wins out (which he should), evidently he's going to put the press on Burrow if he transfers.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Frost is watching the OSU QB battle like a hawk. Assuming Haskins wins out (which he should), evidently he's going to put the press on Burrow if he transfers.

Is Burrow able to transfer and play right away? And would this be for the 2018 or 2019 season.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as their QB isn't Tanner Lee, Tommy Armstrong, Zac Lee, Taylor Martinez, or Joe Ganz, everything should be just fine.