• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Lamar Jackson be Tom Brady’s heir apparent for Patriots?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By acquiring the 23rd overall pick in the first round in exchange for wideout Brandin Cooks (and already holding the 31st pick), the Patriots have given themselves flexibility for a quarterback selection in this month’s draft. And Jackson could emerge as New England’s top option for two key reasons: Thanks to an inside pipeline, Patriots coach Bill Belichick knows virtually everything he can about Jackson; and the Louisville star already knows plenty about the base concepts of New England’s offense.

4e54612f8cd517c112be2efa3ba05850

The Patriots got a first-hand look at Lamar Jackson during the quarterback’s pro day at Louisville. (AP)
Consider:

• From 2014 to 2016, former NFL executive Mike Lombardi worked for Belichick inside the Patriots franchise. During this time, Lombardi’s son Matt was an offensive assistant for the Louisville Cardinals. This gave Belichick a sustained flow of information on Jackson, not to mention the ability to process the data with Lombardi – who likely knows precisely what Belichick wants from a quarterback. Having an inside track is vital in any quarterback evaluation. And Belichick (who wrote the foreword to Lombardi’s forthcoming book, “Gridiron Genius”), undoubtedly has one when it comes to Jackson.

• While Brady and Jackson might be on opposite ends of the athletic spectrum, they share something where it truly counts: Both run a tweaked version of the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system. Former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis introduced the system to the Patriots, and current coordinator Josh McDaniels was groomed inside it – all while the scheme was tailored to fit Brady over the years. Meanwhile, Jackson ran a version of the same pro-style system at Louisville under Bobby Petrino. That gives Jackson familiarity with the formation/personnel/verbiage principles that have defined the New England offense for years. Having an understanding of how the Erhardt-Perkins system works would be a significant bonus for a rookie sharing a classroom with Brady, who is operating the scheme at an elite level.

And some attempt at that replacement is going to happen this offseason. There’s no hiding it. Given Brady’s age, New England isn’t just in the market for a backup – it’s in the market for a successor. And that alone suggests a potential first-round pick invested in the position if the right player were available. Belichick knows that. Ownership knows that. Even Brady likely knows that.

Where that will lead remains to be seen. But acquiring an additional first-round selection in this month’s draft has given the Patriots another quarterback option they didn’t have last week. They can stand pat and hope Jackson or another quarterback slides to them. Or they can use their deep reservoir of picks – which also includes two second-rounders and five total picks in the top 95 – to move up on draft day.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heir apparent... No

Next Belichick trade r@pe... Yes

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another heir apparent??? How many would this make:noidea:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats draft a QB in the 1st who isn't going to play and I might have to consider the conspiracy theory Hoody is tearing it all down.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade up for a QB, it will be Baker Mayfield imo and only if he drops.

I think if Baker Mayfield doesn't end up on the Broncos or the Patriots then I'll consider this draft a success regardless of what the Chiefs do.

I guess you could throw in Josh Rosen into this, too, if he drops for off the field issues.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo...nothing in there about how cheaply Jackson would come since his moms is trying to be his agent?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id imagine the most likely scenario for the Pats is them trading up for someone who they think can play LT.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope:suds:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Patriots' acquisition of the No. 23 overall pick from the Rams in exchange for Brandin Cooks "was all about" trying to trade up for a quarterback in this month's draft.

A member of the Patriots' organization told La Canfora he would "certainly not" be surprised if the Cooks trade was made to acquire more ammo to move up in the draft. La Canfora admitted his "total hunch" is the Patriots may be eyeing Baker Mayfield due to his mobility and top-notch accuracy. Coach Bill Belichick realizes he needs to find Tom Brady's successor, and this QB-deep draft offers one of the best chances to find that guy. However, there will be a ton of competition to move up in the draft. New England has two firsts and two seconds

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope:suds:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Patriots' acquisition of the No. 23 overall pick from the Rams in exchange for Brandin Cooks "was all about" trying to trade up for a quarterback in this month's draft.

A member of the Patriots' organization told La Canfora he would "certainly not" be surprised if the Cooks trade was made to acquire more ammo to move up in the draft. La Canfora admitted his "total hunch" is the Patriots may be eyeing Baker Mayfield due to his mobility and top-notch accuracy. Coach Bill Belichick realizes he needs to find Tom Brady's successor, and this QB-deep draft offers one of the best chances to find that guy. However, there will be a ton of competition to move up in the draft. New England has two firsts and two seconds
LOL... better be ready to trade up all the picks to the Browns if they actually wanted Mayfield.

JLC as usual just throws shit on the wall and hope something sticks.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade up for a QB, it will be Baker Mayfield imo and only if he drops.

I think if Baker Mayfield doesn't end up on the Broncos or the Patriots then I'll consider this draft a success regardless of what the Chiefs do.

I guess you could throw in Josh Rosen into this, too, if he drops for off the field issues.
i like mayfield. if they DO package these picks up (23, 31, and whatever garroplo was) you can get him.

his ego worries me...but then i read shit like this:

Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield wants to pick Tom Brady's brain

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like mayfield. if they DO package these picks up (23, 31, and whatever garroplo was) you can get him.

his ego worries me...but then i read shit like this:

Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield wants to pick Tom Brady's brain
I have no clue how the Pats beat out the Bills to get to 4 if that is their plan unless they truly are trading Gronk which would get into weird territory at that point. Why would the Browns want to pick at 23 and 31? 20-50 might be the same-ish this year but 1-19 are not.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no clue how the Pats beat out the Bills to get to 4 if that is their plan unless they truly are trading Gronk which would get into weird territory at that point.
the asset they just got with the jimmy G pick gets you in top 10 discussion.

one more piece and boom...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's now possible in insolation. But how do you outbid a desperate Bills team with better 1st round picks? Hard to believe.
give up

43 or whatever it is
plus next years pick?

maybe.

i know the pats are trying to restock the picks they have too. no idea lol

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give up

43 or whatever it is
plus next years pick?

maybe.

i know the pats are trying to restock the picks they have too. no idea lol
Browns are the real winners in all of this is all I kind make of it for sure. #4 just got even more lucrative.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Lamar Jackson, I kind of like that idea (I am serious) behind Brady for a year or two. Just a matter of navigating the minefield of teams that might trade around for Jackson/Rudolph if those are the guys you want.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a team that has a history of trading down, is going to trade up in a draft full of "decent" QB prospects, more so than the last decade, but without any true "GREAT" QB prospects?

They can probably get Lamar Jackson in Round 2.