• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cooking with Stainless Steel

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revere-Copper-Confidence-Core-banner.png

I recently invested in the above set of stainless cookware after being sold on it's benefits.

My first experience was yesterday when I cooked some bacon. I allowed the pan to heat (same I use with anodized) and as soon as I put the bacon on the stainless my entire kitchen was engulfed in smoke filling my living room and causing the bacon to cook like shit.

Did I do anything wrong?

Does anybody have experience cooking with stainless pans?

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha thanks Dolemite. I was hoping for some sort of cook nerdy explanation

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So even with Bacon I have to add oil?
Who told you to warm the pan when cooking bacon? I've always been told to start bacon in a cold pan. But spend another twenty bucks and get yourself a cast iron for bacon, well worth it.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who told you to warm the pan when cooking bacon? I've always been told to start bacon in a cold pan. But spend another twenty bucks and get yourself a cast iron for bacon, well worth it.
The lady who sold it to me

Gratzi - I need a good cast iron anyway!

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are there other meats I should l put in a cold pan?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there other meats I should l put in a cold pan?
I wouldn't put anything except bacon in cold because you most likely want a sear on every other cut of meat. In stainless steel, the fat from the bacon melts slow to fill the microscopic holes then the steam lifts it so it gives it like a teensie boost up from the surface to eliminate the sticking. It's my experience that you have to let it do its job and not rush to flip it.

In cast iron, the melting fat creates your patina and even though you clean the pan, fat is what makes it work better. That's why if you ever try to use soap on cast iron in front of my grandma, she'll slap the shit out of you.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put anything except bacon in cold because you most likely want a sear on every other cut of meat. In stainless steel, the fat from the bacon melts slow to fill the microscopic holes then the steam lifts it so it gives it like a teensie boost up from the surface to eliminate the sticking. It's my experience that you have to let it do its job and not rush to flip it.

In cast iron, the melting fat creates your patina and even though you clean the pan, fat is what makes it work better. That's why if you ever try to use soap on cast iron in front of my grandma, she'll slap the shit out of you.

Nice! My daughter is sick so I tested it out and it worked like a charm!

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! My daughter is sick so I tested it out and it worked like a charm!
For cleaning your stainless, did that stupid saleslady tell you get some Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami? She might redeem herself.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For cleaning your stainless, did that stupid saleslady tell you get some Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami? She might redeem herself.

Nope! I just read the instructions and used a soft plastic with warm soapy water. Let it cool down as well.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching America's Test Kitchen this morning and they said that contrary to popular belief, cast iron does NOT heat evenly on the stovetop and the best way to heat it up is to toss it in a cold oven then blast it to 500 so it heats up evenly with the ambient temp of the oven, then put it on the cooktop and do your thang.

Of course, that could take 20-30 minutes to heat so I think I'm pretty much fine with hot spots.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cook bacon in the oven. WAY less mess.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK…ok…today's mission concerned an ice maker no longer functioning. Water supply is on, but no ice is being produced. 10 year refer (stainless, this is why i posted here) and clean as a whistle too.

what's your next move to diagnose/fix the problem?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cook bacon in the oven. WAY less mess.

That's how we do it in professional kitchens... Sheet pan, parchment paper, lay the bacon out in a single layer and into the oven...

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK…ok…today's mission concerned an ice maker no longer functioning. Water supply is on, but no ice is being produced. 10 year refer (stainless, this is why i posted here) and clean as a whistle too.

what's your next move to diagnose/fix the problem?
1. Buy a new ice maker and install it yourself
2. Buy a home warranty for appliances. Mine runs about 600 year. Call the people tell them your ice maker is fucked up. They'll send a guy out there to fix it. After he leaves break the ice maker again and call and tell them stating it wasn't fixed. They'll send a different guy out there to fix it. Break it again. Call back and complain. After about 4 rounds they'll deliver you a brand new Refrigerator. Cancel policy unless there are some other appliances you need fixing.:suds: