1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Congress Finally Addressing Asset Seizure

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Eugene Baker III, May 19, 2016.

1. Eugene Baker III

Eugene Baker III Go UCR Highlanders!!!

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 947

A bipartisan group of federal lawmakers introduced a bill Thursday that would rewrite the rules on civil asset forfeiture, the federal program that allows police officers and sheriff’s deputies to seize cash and property from people who have not been arrested or convicted.

Thirteen members of Congress joined to sponsor the legislation, which they called the Due Process Act of 2016.

“Civil forfeiture remains one of the greatest assaults to property rights and due process in America today,” said Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, one of the representatives to co-introduce the bill. “What was once intended to ensure drug dealers couldn’t keep the fruits of their illegal activities has now become grossly misused.”

Under existing federal law, local law enforcement agencies can confiscate houses, cars, boats, aircraft, cash and other property if they suspect the assets were obtained through criminal activity. The law does not require that suspects be convicted or even charged with a crime.

After the property is seized, local police and sheriff’s departments are entitled to retain a percentage of the proceeds and spend the money on virtually any law enforcement-related expense they see fit.

When the program was established in the early 1980s, it generated about $100 million in seized assets. By 2012, local law enforcers seized more than $4.5 billion in assets.

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, San Diego police and San Diego District Attorney’s Office are the three largest participants in the civil asset-forfeiture program in California, as measured by the number of cases they participated in between 2001 and 2014.

Combined, the three agencies collected more than $15 million to boost their annual budgets, according to a study released this week by the American Civil Liberties Union.

All three departments declined to respond to questions on Thursday about the Due Process Act.

The bill, backed by 10 Republicans and three Democrats, would cut the amount of time the government has to notify property owners that their assets have been formally seized to 30 days from the current 60.

It would also make it easier for property owners to contest seizures by giving them more time to respond, providing the opportunity for a hearing before a magistrate judge and guaranteeing them the right to a lawyer if they cannot afford one.

The law would also increase the burden of proof on law enforcers who want to confiscate property from “a preponderance of evidence” to “clear and convincing” and allow for recovery of attorney’s fees in certain cases.

“Though there are still issues to be addressed, the legislation we’re putting forward today is a great starting point for a conversation on how we’re going to stop these abuses,” Issa said.

Rep. Mimi Walters, R-Laguna Niguel, is the only other California delegate to co-sponsor the bill.

San Diego attorney Richard Barnett has built his practice defending people who had their assets confiscated without ever being charged with a crime. He said the legislation sounded like a step in the right direction.

“The right to a hearing early in proceedings to determine whether there is probable cause for the seizure of property is very significant,” he said. “Under the current law, you don’t have a chance to test whether the government had probable cause until the summary judgment of the case. At best, that’s not happening until six or nine months after the property has been seized.”

Margaret Dooley-Sammuli, the ACLU of California policy director, said Congress should reform the federal civil asset forfeiture law but she also said state lawmakers should pass a state bill that would prevent California police and sheriffs from seizing assets without a criminal conviction.

Bill would rein in asset seizures

Asset Forfeiture Abuse

A Setback for Justice

What Should You Do if the Cops Try to Seize Your Property Unfairly? | VICE | United States

LA Daily News: Protecting property from unfair seizure: David Hadley and Holly J. Mitchell

Feds fighting to keep cash seized from person never charged with crime | Fox News

• Like Like x 12
  2. Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 947

Due Process Act....I like it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bigred472

bigred472 theoldestidiotonthisboard

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

-------
    If any of said assests were gained by illegal means, then the monies/assets should not be returned to those arrested OR convicted. If they aren't convicted....fine give the shit back to the rightful owners.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 947

"San Diego attorney Richard Barnett has built his practice defending people who had their assets confiscated without ever being charged with a crime. He said the legislation sounded like a step in the right direction.

“The right to a hearing early in proceedings to determine whether there is probable cause for the seizure of property is very significant,” he said. “Under the current law, you don’t have a chance to test whether the government had probable cause until the summary judgment of the case. At best, that’s not happening until six or nine months after the property has been seized.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. xpuctaqpGT

xpuctaqpGT Modern Major General

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 50

I fully support this legislation. Civil Asset Forfeiture is CRAP.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. williewilliejuan

williewilliejuan Giant Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I hate to bust you on your use of acronyms, but Civil Asset Forfeiture would be CAF....

Carry on.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. bigred472

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

-------
    So?

8. 4down20

4down20 Mainstream as fuck

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,014

So this is something that would go towards actually making sure that is the case.

Or would you like for your stuff to be taken just because they claimed you obtained it illegally?

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. bigred472

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

-------
    Until there is proof of innocence I have no objection to the government holding on to the assets. San Diego was used as an example. Right next to the drug running border. Of course assets should be held until your name is cleared

• Facepalm x 4
    • Bullshit x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Rainbow x 1
  10. Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 947

Civil forfeiture remains one of the greatest assaults to property rights and due process in America today,” said Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, one of the representatives to co-introduce the bill. “What was once intended to ensure drug dealers couldn’t keep the fruits of their illegal activities has now become grossly misused.”

Under existing federal law, local law enforcement agencies can confiscate houses, cars, boats, aircraft, cash and other property if they suspect the assets were obtained through criminal activity. The law does not require that suspects be convicted or even charged with a crime.

After the property is seized, local police and sheriff’s departments are entitled to retain a percentage of the proceeds and spend the money on virtually any law enforcement-related expense they see fit.

This doesn't bother you? Really?

It does not bother you that Sonny Crockett is driving around in your Ferrari and you were never convicted?

Judge Judy uses your place in Tahoe and they never charged you?

11. kburjr

kburjr Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

What a country!! Guilty until proven innocent.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 947

Wisconsin seizes stuff from the elderly on a whim...ACLU has a,department just for those aholes.

13. Rex Racer

Rex Racer Ireverrent Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,031

Proof of innocence?!?!?!?

Did you skip a few civics classes?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. raider bill

raider bill Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

you are about as dumb as one of those fucking corncobs you got out there.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. gohusk

gohusk Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,000

Proof of innocence? WTF are you talking about? Our law is supposed to be based on a presumption of innocence.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. outofyourmind

outofyourmind Oklahoma Sooners

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

tumblr_miylwwc4W41rwu9euo1_400.gif

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. it'sHuskers4me

it'sHuskers4me strah ništa

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

What a crock of horseshit! If I were going to another state to buy a car for $5,000 cash and I got caught going 3mph over the speed limit, the cops can take my money as it might smell like dope to a police dog. All I am guilty of is having money that was out of my control before the lady at the bank handed it to me. It's bad enough banks give me the third degree when I pull a couple grand out of my account - another story.

A recent news segment had the local Sheriff bitching because the Feds hadn't sent back any money for 3 months. Has anyone heard if this happened on a national level? Local LEOs had to cut back on their budgets because of the Feds keeping all the money that the locals felt was theirs.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SDPaddlefish

SDPaddlefish Well-Known Member Supporting Member Level 1

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,391

Good start, but doesn't go far enough.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. 006

006 WGWTFA

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,741

2a89060523dcd8b28c2e8a346dc7b797f392573afc4cd2d28661598befeb6268.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold Member In Black

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

yakov.png
    He had a theater in Branson, MO last time I was there.

• Winner Winner x 1