• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Conference Finals: Washington Capitals v. Tampa Bay Lightning

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty clear the neutral fans are rooting for Ovi like football fans rooted for John Elway to finally win a ring.

It will be nice to see Ovi finally get the cup. And I was thinking last night how great it would be if he could do so without Tom Wilson also getting to. But then I remembered that Chris Pronger, Jeff Carter, Brad Machand and Ed Belfour all have their names on it and the world didn't end.

But then again, each of THOSE guys has at least one redeeming quality. So....

Last night was one of those games for Holtby where, as a goalie, it's incredibly nerve wracking. You can feel everything going wrong. Dump ins get bounced to the slot, simple glove saves get tossed away. Pucks hit you and you can't feel them anymore, you slide a yard or two off line, but... somehow it works. You can work your ass off for 95 games and never have as much success as you do one game where it all feels like you're trying to ride a unicycle on stilts.

But when they are over and you've won, it's the best feeling in the world.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty clear the neutral fans are rooting for Ovi like football fans rooted for John Elway to finally win a ring.

I'm not rooting for Ovi and I didn't root for Elway.

Don't take this the wrong way but, there is just something I don't like about Ovi. Great talent and amazing player no doubt. I can't put my finger on it but, something about him I just don't like. I knew why I didn't like Elway. His demand to be traded to a west coast team and not play for the Colts before the draft gave me a bad opinion of him that never changed.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't take this the wrong way but, there is just something I don't like about Ovi. Great talent and amazing player no doubt. I can't put my finger on it but, something about him I just don't like. I knew why I didn't like Elway. His demand to be traded to a west coast team and not play for the Colts before the draft gave me a bad opinion of him that never changed.

But in hindsight, Elway was right wasn't he?

I can see why people don't like OV. He's a modern day Mark Messier. Polarizing guy. But you can't deny his passion and love for the game.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince of Wales Trophy >>>>>>>> Campbell Bowl

Glad Ovi ignored that idiotic superstition of not touching the trophy.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get it, we all have athletes we don't like. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind but a local guy brought up some good points. He has been a good guy, especially for a super star, the entire time he has been here. He never gets in trouble, when he first signed he wanted an American roommate, not a Russian, so he could learn the language and the culture. When they brought in Dale Hunter who imposed his grinding style, essentially turning an artist into a plumber, Ovie never complained despite his numbers going south. When GMGM called him out of shape he didn't get bent or demand a trade, he kept his mouth shut and went to work.

We all know he has holes in his game. But he's sure been a great player and a good guy on top of that, very rare for a super star.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know he has holes in his game. But he's sure been a great player and a good guy on top of that, very rare for a super star.

And he's interesting, funny, and exciting... unlike some superstars and I think we all know who I'm talking about.

...Sorry to call you out, Nick Backstrom! ;)

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dayum....Holes in his game? Not many holes in his game and the ones he has are pretty small. And this is from someone that doesn't like him.

Aren't you being a little critical? I mean he did he just get your team to the Stanley Cup Finals.:noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Ovechkin. He’s one of the game’s best-ever scorers. He is genuinely entertaining as a personality, something that is almost non-existent in the game of hockey. He pisses off Don Cherry.

But he’s also an unabashed Putin supporter (and app-developer). If he were to sit down for an entirely open, no holds barred interview and asked about his feelings about many aspects of human rights and political freedom the answers he gives would probably piss off most of the hockey world. If a guy on the Caps suddenly came out as gay, he’d probably clam up about it despite being the captain of the team playing in a part of the world where this stuff isn’t supposed to matter anymore.

What I’m saying here is, Tom Wilson should be the captain of the Washington Capitals.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Ovechkin. He’s one of the game’s best-ever scorers. He is genuinely entertaining as a personality, something that is almost non-existent in the game of hockey. He pisses off Don Cherry.

and for that alone, he's alright in my book.

I'm rooting for Fleury and Vegas in the finals though :nod:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I’m saying here is, Tom Wilson should be the captain of the Washington Capitals.
wilsonwater.gif

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But he’s also an unabashed Putin supporter (and app-developer). If he were to sit down for an entirely open, no holds barred interview and asked about his feelings about many aspects of human rights and political freedom the answers he gives would probably piss off most of the hockey world. If a guy on the Caps suddenly came out as gay, he’d probably clam up about it despite being the captain of the team playing in a part of the world where this stuff isn’t supposed to matter anymore.

Have you lost your mind?

You want to remove a guy that is one of the best in the game because of what you perceive are his political views from the captaincy and make a guy that most fans (outside of Cap fans) think is a dirty player?

I don't like Ovi, but I don't hate him either. Whereas, if Tom Wilson was in fire in front of me and I had a glass of water, I would drink it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you lost your mind?

You want to remove a guy that is one of the best in the game because of what you perceive are his political views from the captaincy and make a guy that most fans (outside of Cap fans) think is a dirty player?

I don't like Ovi, but I don't hate him either. Whereas, if Tom Wilson was in fire in front of me and I had a glass of water, I would drink it.
You clearly don't know what's important in a team captain. I suggest you brush up on the subject.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly don't know what's important in a team captain. I suggest you brush up on the subject.

The ability to deliver headshots that cause injuries and a history of fines and suspensions isn't a qualification I want in my captain. But hey, that's just me. Clearly you think being a dirty player is something to reward.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really need a sarcasm smiley or font on this board :D