• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

concussions and doctors

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I really thought trainers and doctors would think more and more about head blows and concussions this world cup since it was talked about a lot.

Yet, when a player clearly got knocked out and sometimes even were bleeding the training staff just took them off the pitch and then said, "ok, you're cleared to go back in and play."

Why did this happen? I mean isn't this something that should be taken a closer look at?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably yes.

IMO soccer runs much lesser risk for further injury with concussion stuff than say football, hockey or even basketball.

That doesn't mean a player who is concussed should be allowed back in the game though, but despite concussion protocol's players are not being held out from NFL or NBA games.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably yes.

IMO soccer runs much lesser risk for further injury with concussion stuff than say football, hockey or even basketball.

Then I would question your opinion, or even if you watch soccer. You use your head in soccer at every position (but goalie), very regularly. Not sure how you can make a statement like that an include basketball.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did this happen? I mean isn't this something that should be taken a closer look at?

It happens because you only get 3 subs a game - including those for injuries, and coaches don't want to burn them, especially early as in the case of the WC Final.

If FIFA really wanted to do something, they would allow for free substitutions for head injuries. Get the guy off the field without the possibility of penalizing his team. It was clear Kramer was unfit to be playing.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I would question your opinion, or even if you watch soccer. You use your head in soccer at every position (but goalie), very regularly. Not sure how you can make a statement like that an include basketball.

Basketball has more people per square meter and there is a lot more physical contact. The likelihood that a player runs into another player is greater in basketball than soccer. If you want to include headers and corner kicks maybe soccer runs a higher risk for reinjury...

Bottom line concussion protocols are in place and quite often ignored.