• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comp picks.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Data error, don't think that applies here.:D
Good luck with that appeal ( not really). :D
I can't find the article on my phone but it was pointed out by some team. And if they did change the formula without informing teams then wouldn't shock me if a couple of teams did appeal. I can promise you from some sources with the Broncos they were expecting to get 2 3rd round comp picks today. They are as shocked as the fans

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the article on my phone but it was pointed out by some team. And if they did change the formula without informing teams then wouldn't shock me if a couple of teams did appeal. I can promise you from some sources with the Broncos they were expecting to get 2 3rd round comp picks today. They are as shocked as the fans

Guess we'll find out, but I like the chances of this holding up.:nod:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what would be awesome is to not only get that comp pick, but sign Okung to a reasonable offer.:pound:
I could get on board with that.

He helped the Hawks gets 3rd round comp and comes back, classic!

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 picks in the first 3 round, Yes please.

And how does a Comp pick hurt the Broncos? Because they don't get more Comp picks? The Broncos got 4 comp picks to the Hawks 2 so why the butthurt post?

The Bengals, Broncos and Chiefs are the big winners in comp picks this season. Broncos FO wont fight something that does not effect them ONE BIT WHAT SO EVER!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we'll find out, but I like the chances of this holding up.:nod:
Well I don't like the chances of it holding up because it means bad things for the Broncos but do agree very rarely do we see the NFL admit a mistake especially one that costs a team a 3rd round pick so most likely you guys get to keep your 2 3rd round picks and the Broncos lose out on this one.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how does a Comp pick hurt the Broncos? Because they don't get more Comp picks? The Broncos got 4 comp picks to the Hawks 2 so why the butthurt post?

The Bengals, Broncos and Chiefs are the big winners in comp picks this season. Broncos FO wont fight something that does not effect them ONE BIT WHAT SO EVER!

Like cdumler said, they expected to have two 3rd round comp picks, so either 5th or one of the 7th round pick has likely been bumped down.

I would assume that it is as was mentioned: Denver tried to get tricky with the 4 option years and the NFL saw this as an attempt to circumvent the system. Also, has Denver cut Okung yet? I don't think they officially have. In that case the league has no choice but to count the whole contract and then possibly change the picks when it becomes official.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well when we have our first year of Comp picks being able to be traded a 3rd round comp pick compared to a 7th round comp pick is a huge difference in value to any team. So yes this does effect them quite a bit. The ability move around the draft is greatly effected and it could possibly mean one less early impact player on the roster.

I mean if you think the Broncos shouldn't be upset about this then to me Seahawks fans should delete the thread about them possibly losing a higher draft pick because of rules violations. I mean they have already lost a draft pick in the 5th round so what is the big deal if it got bumped up to a 2nd or 3rd round pick. You are still losing a draft pick either way.

So while yes I am happy to see the Broncos still get 4 Comp Picks and should feel fortunate that we got them most leading up to yesterday figured the Broncos would have gotten a much larger haul to work with.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like cdumler said, they expected to have two 3rd round comp picks, so either 5th or one of the 7th round pick has likely been bumped down.

I would assume that it is as was mentioned: Denver tried to get tricky with the 4 option years and the NFL saw this as an attempt to circumvent the system. Also, has Denver cut Okung yet? I don't think they officially have. In that case the league has no choice but to count the whole contract and then possibly change the picks when it becomes official.

The Broncos did officially tell him about 3 days ago that they were not picking up his option.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos did officially tell him about 3 days ago that they were not picking up his option.

......but was he officially cut yet? I don't believe so. In which case the NFL has to treat the full contract as active until the dirty deed is done. I would imagine that when he is officially no longer under contract with the Broncos, the NFL will re-evaluate the comp picks and bump the Broncos up and the Seahawks down. My point being that until the paperwork is filed, the situation remains in flux.

We will see when it happens.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that the Okung release was official on the 23rd. So basically, for all intents and purposes, one day ago.

If I had to guess, I would say that the comp picks were already set by then and will be changed accordingly in the near future.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, like everyone else, I don't know the formula for compensatory picks, but I'll take a crack at what it happening here.

1) If counting his incentive money from 2016 (which I don't know why they wouldn't), even if he's released, Okung made $8 million with the Broncos last year while playing over 1000 snaps. If a one year deal is the same apy as a multi year deal - then those numbers would solidly put his compensation in the 3rd round.

2) from overthecap on May 10, 2016:

Russell Okung and Kelvin Beachum (click their names for contract details) signed unique deals with Denver and Jacksonville that start off as a one year contract with a team option for four more years at much higher rates. It is my belief that the compensatory formula will consider only that first year of the contract, based upon Brandon Browner giving Seattle only a 6th round pick in 2015 instead of a 5th due to his contract also containing a team option after Year 1. If I’m wrong about that, or if the rules have changed, the following changes would occur:
  • Denver would get a 7th for Vernon Davis instead of a 3rd for Brock Osweiler.
  • Seattle would get a 3rd for Okung instead of a 4th for JR Sweezy.
  • Pittsburgh would get a 3rd or 4th for Beachum instead of a 5th for him.
What I've noticed when looking at the list of compensatory picks is that all three of these situations have come true. It does appear that Denver is being compensated for Davis and not Osweiler, Seattle for Okung and not Sweezy and Pittsburgh is getting a 3rd for Beachum. If this truly is the case (the rules appearing to have changed) - then Beachum being released in mid-February didn't affect Pittsburgh getting a 3rd rounder for him - so I just can't imagine that releasing Okung will change where Seattle is getting their pick for Okung.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice.

The 1st-2nd should be immediate starters IMO and the 3rds can supplement time in or fill in, in the event of an injury.

I think it's no mystery we need a starting RT or LT... RT if we can find someone in free agency. We cannot march Fant out there again (at least at the blind side protection spot).

We could use another DT but with Pete/John spending a 2nd last year, I see them nabbing a safety/corner with the 2nd. I'd love Obi (6'4") as an eventual replacement to a near 30, already showing injury issues, and upset with his contract... I think we would have to trade down the 1st and nab him in an early 2nd though... could get the OT with the 2nd rounder.

Pete/John have done some surprising things with their 3rds the last few years. Vannett, Prosise, Lockett. All weapon positions instead of foundation (OT/D-Line) so it'll be interesting. Also Morgan is probably gone but I don't think that necessarily is a huge hole. Seattle marched a 3 LBer crew out there like 15-20% of the time... so I don't think a real huge investment is needed there...

We have about $25M to spend and don't have any key free agents this year. One could argue Steven Hauschka but kickers grow on trees, and Blair Walsh IMO is fine. Maybe we'll actually get our XPoints finally. Outside of that... Morgan? Meh? I think that allows us to possibly grab some pieces on 1 year prove it deals.

I think our guards will be okay. Ifedi's knock in the draft was he was by FAR the most RAW early round talent. The fact then that he spent some time injured in camp really kills... so hopefully with a full offseason and lots of footage to work with, he'll come around. Odhiambo was another guy I think injured, but we spent a 3rd on him... can't just keep drafting O-Line guards because the other guys were a little off their first year.

But OT???? Yah, that's needed. Sadly we keep whiffing on em'. Carpenter, moved to guard (actually a great guard for NYJ now), Britt, moved to Center (great at center), so dunno... maybe Cable is just better suited as an interior guy than a pass protector, but we really can't whiff on another tackle. The last 'good' one we had was Okung who had SOME good years and showed flashes of an all pro, but mostly average. And that was a 4th overall pick.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like this one broke our way quite nicely, especially when you lump it together with the league's ruling not to penalize us for Sherman's missed practice time. A 2012-like draft class would be much appreciated.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought. That many early picks makes packaging some to move up a possibility. Do we move into the bottom of the top 10 or so, to get one of the elite T's in the draft and spend one or two of those thirds?

I'm thinking if they think there's a potential stud available, we do.

Having said that, it's very possible no suitors would be available for such a trade.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought. That many early picks makes packaging some to move up a possibility. Do we move into the bottom of the top 10 or so, to get one of the elite T's in the draft and spend one or two of those thirds?

I'm thinking if they think there's a potential stud available, we do.

Having said that, it's very possible no suitors would be available for such a trade.
Bottom ten? That might be a little ambiguous, more like 18-20 range using a third round pick to move up.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom ten? That might be a little ambiguous, more like 18-20 range using a third round pick to move up.

It costs ridiculous amounts to move into that high top ten picks range, but less the further down the list you go. So I'm thinking a swap of 1st round picks PLUS two thirds would be enough to move into the 8 - 14 range?

So just spitballing here, Cleveland has the Eagle's #12 pick, and has been in the mode of quantity. So would our #1 plus two 3rds, be enough to move up to 12 if there was still an elite tackle available? Dunno.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It costs ridiculous amounts to move into that high top ten picks range, but less the further down the list you go. So I'm thinking a swap of 1st round picks PLUS two thirds would be enough to move into the 8 - 14 range?

So just spitballing here, Cleveland has the Eagle's #12 pick, and has been in the mode of quantity. So would our #1 plus two 3rds, be enough to move up to 12 if there was still an elite tackle available? Dunno.

But, at the same time - haven't we all been discussing the need for depth at many key positions, and the loss of two thirds would all but make it impossible to think that the team will add much quality young depth (if not the starters that many feel we need).

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, at the same time - haven't we all been discussing the need for depth at many key positions, and the loss of two thirds would all but make it impossible to think that the team will add much quality young depth (if not the starters that many feel we need).

I have no idea if that's what we SHOULD do, I trust P+J to do the right thing.

If there's a guy who could stabilize the O-line available, I think it would be worth it.

If that guy isn't there, then absolutely you draft the extra guys in the third.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What elite OTs are available this year? Ramczyk out of Wisconsin, Robinson out Alabama, and Bolles out of Utah are about the only 4 I see listed in any 1st round projections and they are typically not starting to go off the board until sometime in the late teens- early 20's.

I don't see a move up to 12 as a viable option if an OT is truly the target. Maybe up a few spots to jump the likes of the Texans (25), Giants (23), or the Broncos (20) as some of the other OT needy teams but even then only if one guy really jumps out at you.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i fully admit that I don't follow the college game at all.

So I guess it would cost even less to move up. Are any of those guys worth a 1st and one third? Dunno.