• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy SILVER out of Calgary

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks like a pretty fair deal offered up by the city to me, if Harley Hotchkiss and the Seaman brothers were still owners of the team, I'm confident a deal would have already been consummated with the city.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Ken King quotes from a presser this morning:
  • If we were money-grabbing, we would have left Calgary a long time ago
  • There are many better cities than Calgary to make money via sports
Keep up the good fight Nenshi, don't give in to this smug fat fuck.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJxiCxQVwAA3c9v.jpg:medium

The picture that explains what actually happens is NSFW.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see a referendum like this:

Question: The City of Calgary has earmarked $500 million for expenditure. Would you rather your municipal government spend that funding on:

1) A new home arena and events centre for the Calgary Flames

2) A program to make Calgary the Taco Capital of the World, with subsidized tacos for all residents (or, ya know, something else we could ALL actually use)

I think the Flames would be moving to Seattle faster than you can say salsa.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see a referendum like this:

Question: The City of Calgary has earmarked $500 million for expenditure. Would you rather your municipal government spend that funding on:

1) A new home arena and events centre for the Calgary Flames

2) A program to make Calgary the Taco Capital of the World, with subsidized tacos for all residents (or, ya know, something else we could ALL actually use)

I think the Flames would be moving to Seattle faster than you can say salsa.

The Flames aren't moving to Seattle, Bettman wants another 500 shmill to give to the owners as his going away present (and to get the league to 32 teams).

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relocation fee, mon frere.

We'll see, but I would bet my brother-in-law's cucumber farm that the Flames aren't going anywhere. Flames still have to be in the top 10 in the league as far as revenue producing teams are concerned and every game is either a sell-out or over 90% capacity. Nenshi will be re-elected to a 3rd term as mayor and Flames ownership will have to play ball with the mayor at some point. Also, if a 2026 Winter Olympics bid is successful for Calgary, then some federal funds will likely be freed up for a new arena which could likely bridge the gap between the city and Flames owners.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see, but I would bet my brother-in-law's cucumber farm that the Flames aren't going anywhere. Flames still have to be in the top 10 in the league as far as revenue producing teams are concerned and every game is either a sell-out or over 90% capacity. Nenshi will be re-elected to a 3rd term as mayor and Flames ownership will have to play ball with the mayor at some point. Also, if a 2026 Winter Olympics bid is successful for Calgary, then some federal funds will likely be freed up for a new arena which could likely bridge the gap between the city and Flames owners.

too late sucka ... I already did :nod:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmmm I'm not sure where that figure came from but Forbes (who tend to be wildly off on franchise values but seem to have an in on revenues) had Calgary 18th in revenue in 2016. Operating income perhaps, but to me that would just signal they've been cheap and therefore have the resources to do this on their own.

I can't see the Feds giving much to an Olympic bid while they're spending themselves into oblivion, especially when the host city choice is going to be made in an election year. That's a nice rolled-up newspaper for the NDP and Conservatives to smack Junior around with.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you try to go inside my wallet for this money instead you're going to get a very cordial "Fuck you very much" :wink:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, it's for national pride, own the podium and all that jazz.

:D

Can't we figure out a way to win more medals at the Olympics without hosting them? :wink:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time Calgary hosted, Canada didn't win a single gold medal.
those games did give us the likes of Eddie the Eagle AND the Jamaican Bobsled team though.

Should have given Kingston the Olympics.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly a lot of household names for either team tonight (more on the Flames than Canucks though)

DKLfIQJUEAAHOXr.jpg:medium

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly a lot of household names for either team tonight (more on the Flames than Canucks though)

DKLfIQJUEAAHOXr.jpg:medium

yep ... many "who?"'s in this canucks lineup ... could have been written in chinese again :noidea: