• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyman was strong against TB last night. Starting to see why the braintrust keeps putting him out there.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyman was strong against TB last night. Starting to see why the braintrust keeps putting him out there.
He was. Bibeau had a good game too, nice to finally get some points from a backup.

Auston Matthews a now only one goal back of "better scorer" Patrik Laine.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's always good. But there's a (hypothetical) guy out there who can do those things and finish plays off too, and that's the guy who should be over there. Maybe Hyman develops into that guy, but if he doesn't he's gotta slide down the ladder. In all honesty, with as good as he's looked so far at the WJHC I'm starting to wonder if (hope?) Grundstrom can be that guy.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting 2 of 3 this week vs. the Caps, Devils and Habs right before they take their 6 day break sure would give the Leafs a lot of hope of making a playoff push down the stretch.

Even just (finally) beating the Habs would give me a week-long smile though.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bracco and Grundstrom had a pretty good WJC. Hoping Grundstrom can become the answer the Leafs need on the left side.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Kessel trade was a disastrous move no matter how good Kessel was.

Agreed. Disastrous, for Boston.

In the 7 years since BOS traded Kessel, they have made it out of the second round twice. And have missed the playoffs the past two years. Sure, BOS does have one Cup in that stretch, but that makes them equal to PK since the trade.

Not enough? In 6 of the 7 seasons since the trade, PK had more points than ANYONE on the Bruins, despite being on a clearly inferior team. Well except for last year (which oddly enough is the one year he did NOT outscore the entire Bruins roster).

Boston did get Seguin with one of the trade picks. PK outscored TS every year Seguin was in Boston, and then was traded for a handful of magic beans by the Chiapet to Dallas.

I know TOR fans hate the Kessel acquisition. But then again, I am not so sure it helped BOS very much either.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Disastrous, for Boston.

In the 7 years since BOS traded Kessel, they have made it out of the second round twice. And have missed the playoffs the past two years. Sure, BOS does have one Cup in that stretch, but that makes them equal to PK since the trade.

Not enough? In 6 of the 7 seasons since the trade, PK had more points than ANYONE on the Bruins, despite being on a clearly inferior team. Well except for last year (which oddly enough is the one year he did NOT outscore the entire Bruins roster).

Boston did get Seguin with one of the trade picks. PK outscored TS every year Seguin was in Boston, and then was traded for a handful of magic beans by the Chiapet to Dallas.

I know TOR fans hate the Kessel acquisition. But then again, I am not so sure it helped BOS very much either.
The fact Boston squandered the booty doesn't mean it was bad pirating.

If Burke had lottery-protected the draft picks, protected them in the event they were top 5 picks, there'd be no debate. Dougie Hamilton and someone between Derrick Pouliot-Scott Laughton in the 2012 Draft would've made this deal a steal for Toronto once Kessel and Seguin got to play together. There's just no defending losing a 2nd overall pick for a one-dimensional player when your roster is totally void of complimentary talent.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact Boston squandered the booty doesn't mean it was bad pirating.

If Burke had lottery-protected the draft picks, protected them in the event they were top 5 picks, there'd be no debate. Dougie Hamilton and someone between Derrick Pouliot-Scott Laughton in the 2012 Draft would've made this deal a steal for Toronto once Kessel and Seguin got to play together. There's just no defending losing a 2nd overall pick for a one-dimensional player when your roster is totally void of complimentary talent.

I take some issue with this. Phil is not a "one dimensional player", he does many things well on the ice and can fill multiple roles for a team. None of those roles heavily feature penalty killing or grinding in the corners of course :wink: But even if we're calling him an "offense only" player that's still not necessarily "one dimensional".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take some issue with this. Phil is not a "one dimensional player", he does many things well on the ice and can fill multiple roles for a team. None of those roles heavily feature penalty killing or grinding in the corners of course :wink: But even if we're calling him an "offense only" player that's still not necessarily "one dimensional".
He's an offence-first player is all I mean. I never saw him as worth much defensively.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an offence-first player is all I mean. I never saw him as worth much defensively.

No I know, I was pretty sure that was what you meant. I'm just saying that I think calling such a player "one dimensional" kind of sells him short.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Phil is a three-dimensional player :D

/Now Keith Tkachuk, he might be a 4 dimensional player these days.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Phil is a three-dimensional player :D

/Now Keith Tkachuk, he might be a 4 dimensional player these days.

He's reached that dimension that no one else has

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Walker and Glenn Healy were discussing how it would "be okay" if the Leafs traded JVR for a 4 or 5 d-man because Edmonton did something similar and Toronto and Edmonton are in similar situations.

Too bad, I kinda liked Walker.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Walker and Glenn Healy were discussing how it would "be okay" if the Leafs traded JVR for a 4 or 5 d-man because Edmonton did something similar and Toronto and Edmonton are in similar situations.

Too bad, I kinda liked Walker.

JVR for Wideman - Do it, Brad!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs starting the Tabasco Kid tonight - Good luck Curtis.