• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Lead out of Ottawa

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question. Given previous and current level of play plus current health, who would you rather invest in, Doughty or Karlsson?

/rhetorical question, wrong thread for such silliness
Today? Karlsson.

This time next year it may be Drew though.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dion Phaneuf has 3 years, $21 million left on his deal and 2 points in his last 18 games (both points came in the same game).

:dhd:

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, love watching the Sens self destruct. That should be a pretty good team.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: When do the Sens have to decide whether or not to keep this year's pick or next year's? Is it after the lottery?

/Both Kyle Turris and Matt Duchene have been dead quiet since Dec. 19. 1 goal no assists for both.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: When do the Sens have to decide whether or not to keep this year's pick or next year's? Is it after the lottery?

/Both Kyle Turris and Matt Duchene have been dead quiet since Dec. 19. 1 goal no assists for both.

The pick is this year, but protected. I think it's top 10 protected but it might be lottery protected. Either way it is looking increasingly like they'll be keeping their pick this year and the Avs will get the 2019 pick.

As for Duchene, even though the stats aren't there yet he's been very good to me. Plays a much bigger game along the boards than Turris and can make things happen purely by speed, which is important nowadays. I always loved Turris's game and hope he does well in Nashville but I'm much happier having Duchene in the fold than Turris.

EDIT: The pick is top 10 protected. If it winds up there the Sens have the option to defer to 2019.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick is this year, but protected. I think it's top 10 protected but it might be lottery protected. Either way it is looking increasingly like they'll be keeping their pick this year and the Avs will get the 2019 pick.

As for Duchene, even though the stats aren't there yet he's been very good to me. Plays a much bigger game along the boards than Turris and can make things happen purely by speed, which is important nowadays. I always loved Turris's game and hope he does well in Nashville but I'm much happier having Duchene in the fold than Turris.

EDIT: The pick is top 10 protected. If it winds up there the Sens have the option to defer to 2019.
They have the deferral option. I was wondering when they have to make the call, after the season or after the lottery when the positioning has been set.

Unless they get the top pick this year that's gonna be a tough choice for them to make. Burnaby Joe's making out like a bandit here.

/$6 million guys are expected to produce. Is the rest of the team slow then? Or small? And there's just incompatibility? Because as long as Duchene doesn't produce this is a disaster for the Sens.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the deferral option. I was wondering when they have to make the call, after the season or after the lottery when the positioning has been set.

Unless they get the top pick this year that's gonna be a tough choice for them to make. Burnaby Joe's making out like a bandit here.

/$6 million guys are expected to produce. Is the rest of the team slow then? Or small? And there's just incompatibility? Because as long as Duchene doesn't produce this is a disaster for the Sens.

If they finish bottom 10 this year, they take that pick every time. They have the horses to be much better than they are. Horrendous goaltending, their best player playing on one leg with no off season to train, some decent young guys soon to be ready, an improved Chabot, next year, etc.

I'd take this year's pick and run.

As for Duchene he's been snake bitten (like the whole team pretty much). He's also been subjected to some "interesting" line combos by the coaching staff. That plus learning a new system. He'll be fine. If his current line (Hoffman and Ryan) is left to play together for more than a period or two they'll click. Boucher will probably not let that happen because his favourites Thompson and Pyatt need more ice-time but I don't want to get fired up so I'll just leave it at that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they finish bottom 10 this year, they take that pick every time. They have the horses to be much better than they are. Horrendous goaltending, their best player playing on one leg with no off season to train, some decent young guys soon to be ready, an improved Chabot, next year, etc.

I'd take this year's pick and run.

As for Duchene he's been snake bitten (like the whole team pretty much). He's also been subjected to some "interesting" line combos by the coaching staff. That plus learning a new system. He'll be fine. If his current line (Hoffman and Ryan) is left to play together for more than a period or two they'll click. Boucher will probably not let that happen because his favourites Thompson and Pyatt need more ice-time but I don't want to get fired up so I'll just leave it at that.
Okay, but what are they doing with that best player? Odds are probably better than 50% right now that he's not a Senator come 2019, are they going to just keep him around and hope next season isn't like this season and risk losing him for nothing? Anderson is 37 in May, this decline could be (and statistically, likely is) permanent so where's the improved goaltending coming from? Relying on young guys making quick jumps isn't a plan and they can even regress. That is a lot of if's and maybe's.

If the pick is top 5, okay, snap it up and take the risk. Anything less and they'll look pretty bad if next season is worse than this one and the Avs wind up with a top 3 pick.

/He's been there for 25 games now. That's probably the tail end of the "when is he gonna show up?" clock before a genuine concern starts to arise as to whether or not he'll ever work on that team. Throw in the fact that he, too, is UFA after next season and how long does the team really have to wait on him?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, but what are they doing with that best player? Odds are probably better than 50% right now that he's not a Senator come 2019, are they going to just keep him around and hope next season isn't like this season and risk losing him for nothing? Anderson is 37 in May, this decline could be (and statistically, likely is) permanent so where's the improved goaltending coming from? Relying on young guys making quick jumps isn't a plan and they can even regress. That is a lot of if's and maybe's.

If the pick is top 5, okay, snap it up and take the risk. Anything less and they'll look pretty bad if next season is worse than this one and the Avs wind up with a top 3 pick.

/He's been there for 25 games now. That's probably the tail end of the "when is he gonna show up?" clock before a genuine concern starts to arise as to whether or not he'll ever work on that team. Throw in the fact that he, too, is UFA after next season and how long does the team really have to wait on him?

OK. They'll suck for a decade straight and then tank and still have a shitty defense. Better plan? :hockeysmile:

Seriously though, you just about always take a top 10 pick. If not you're sending a pretty bleak message to your team for the following season. A year of development has significant value as well. If they know they're going to deal Karlsson then maybe that changes things (not sure it does really because then the cupboards should be pretty well stocked). If you plan on keeping him then you take this year's pick because you're going to run out of his prime if you just keep delaying assets.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. They'll suck for a decade straight and then tank and still have a shitty defense. Better plan? :hockeysmile:

Seriously though, you just about always take a top 10 pick. If not you're sending a pretty bleak message to your team for the following season. A year of development has significant value as well. If they know they're going to deal Karlsson then maybe that changes things (not sure it does really because then the cupboards should be pretty well stocked). If you plan on keeping him then you take this year's pick because you're going to run out of his prime if you just keep delaying assets.
I mean, I like that plan better.

I'm just really curious as to how a team plays this is all. I watched my team make a boneheaded move that cost them not only a 1C but a top 4 D in the draft and they didn't have the pull-cord to get one of those guys back. The way I see it, if they don't play this right there's a very good chance they wind up with the 4D instead of potentially a 1C. Throw in all the other stuff (move Hoffman? move Karlsson? What about Stone? What about the god-awful contracts of guys like Phaneuf/Ryan?) and all of that is without mentioning the batshit owner and i'm just fascinated by it all.