• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy CowPies in the 'Lumbus

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of odd to have that throwaway line at the end about the police.
another tweeter following the BJs saying Dubie's going back to Ohio to see an eye doctor.
Portzline being an idiot?

Like, fuck, I can literally write that at the end of any and every story about anybody. That's some ultimate trollery.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...it's really nothing, just the eye? I saw that preview (because I'm not a subscriber) to The Atlantic article, and thought to myself "WTF".

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of odd to have that throwaway line at the end about the police.
another tweeter following the BJs saying Dubie's going back to Ohio to see an eye doctor.

Stop.
Listening.
To.
TWATWAFFLE

Portzline being an idiot?

Like, fuck, I can literally write that at the end of any and every story about anybody. That's some ultimate trollery.

I checked police reports. You're good.

So...it's really nothing, just the eye? I saw that preview (because I'm not a subscriber) to The Atlantic article, and thought to myself "WTF".

The club will not say, and they shouldn't. More likely they can't. And that creates a vacuum because he got the A stripped off earlier this year and there is clearly some kind of locker room issue going on. He was Tort's lap dog year one, and now the team seems to be tuning Torts out. Whatever the reason he went home (could be a broken water heater in his house and he has to be there between 12 and 7), people are gonna speculate wildly.

The fact that it happened in Vegas leads to even wilder speculation. And a few days after Torts gave a presser saying he encouraged the boys to go out, have fun and not listen to agents who tell them to stay out of bars...

Anyway, fun watching Karlsson run roughshod all over us last night. I am ready for Arizona game.
FP_8228203_BIG_HudsonBellamy_BagHead_120111.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A snippet taken from Portzline's article from The Atlantic...

Can we direct our Dubinsky questions toward the mailbag? Seems strange to say that something would threaten his career without stating what it is.

AP: It is strange, yes, and this is a difficult story that needed to be handled with discretion and sensitivity. There are aspects of this story which can’t be published due to the private and sensitive nature. We tried to tell you everything we knew about this story, but also give an idea of how worrying it is to many who know what’s going on without publishing hearsay or rumors. To be clear: we didn’t say something would (affirmative) threaten his career, we said it could threaten his career, and we stand by that. The behavior that led to Dubinsky being stripped of his alternate captain’s ‘A’ is the along the same lines as what happened in Las Vegas, prompting him to be sent home early from the road trip. He was expected to play tonight vs. Arizona, so him being sent home from the road is not a small matter.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A snippet taken from Portzline's article from The Atlantic...

Can we direct our Dubinsky questions toward the mailbag? Seems strange to say that something would threaten his career without stating what it is.

AP: It is strange, yes, and this is a difficult story that needed to be handled with discretion and sensitivity. There are aspects of this story which can’t be published due to the private and sensitive nature. We tried to tell you everything we knew about this story, but also give an idea of how worrying it is to many who know what’s going on without publishing hearsay or rumors. To be clear: we didn’t say something would (affirmative) threaten his career, we said it could threaten his career, and we stand by that. The behavior that led to Dubinsky being stripped of his alternate captain’s ‘A’ is the along the same lines as what happened in Las Vegas, prompting him to be sent home early from the road trip. He was expected to play tonight vs. Arizona, so him being sent home from the road is not a small matter.

I like the good old days better. When beat writers "knew stuff" but had the discretion and decency to keep most all of it out of the public eye. Clearly Duby has some real issues, and they are none of our business. Best for him if the public spotlight is pointed elsewhere.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the good old days better. When beat writers "knew stuff" but had the discretion and decency to keep most all of it out of the public eye. Clearly Duby has some real issues, and they are none of our business. Best for him if the public spotlight is pointed elsewhere.
We’re the paying fan. The idea that someone that our ticket and TV money is going to is behaving in a way that’s detrimental to the team and reporters don’t have a responsibility to report such news is ludicrous and panders to the “access journalism” aspect of media coverage.

If Portzline wasn’t going to write anything about the real reason Dubi went home he shouldn’t have written anything beyond “he was sent home”.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re the paying fan. The idea that someone that our ticket and TV money is going to is behaving in a way that’s detrimental to the team and reporters don’t have a responsibility to report such news is ludicrous and panders to the “access journalism” aspect of media coverage.

Respectfully disagree. When an individual has personal issues, they are "personal" and I do not think it is any "fan"s business. Hell, as a supervisor, the US HIPAA laws preclude me from even asking my employee the nature of their medical problems that caused them to be absent from work. To be technical, all the "paying fan" is paying for is access to a sporting event performed by the selling team. They have a right to see the event, and that really is all.

If Portzline wasn’t going to write anything about the real reason Dubi went home he shouldn’t have written anything beyond “he was sent home”

Agreed. That is all he should have said.

Let's say hypothetically he has an alcohol abuse problem. Do fans need to know that? How does knowing that change the fan's feeling about their team? But more importantly, how does knowing that help Duby??? Does it help him if "fans" start chanting "have a beer Duby" when he comes back? Does it help Duby if "fans" leave a case of beer on his front door step? Or see him in a restaurant and send over shots of bourbon?

Me, I prefer the course of action that helps the individual with the problem, not the "fan" who has not paid for 24/7 access into the personal lives of every employee of "my team".

My 2 cents.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that preview (because I'm not a subscriber) to The Atlantic article, and thought to myself "WTF".

Duby's agent is refuting the stuff that Portzline wrote in the Athletic...

The latter makes MUCH more sense. I was wondering when The Atlantic got into covering hockey. ;)

Reactions: gob

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im on the side of not going with a story based on knowledge the writer may have and has no intention of disclosing ... whats the purpose of that??? all thats being floated is innuendo and speculation ... Is the goal to force Dubinsky to come forward and disclose something to the public here ... and if so why ????

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im on the side of not going with a story based on knowledge the writer may have and has no intention of disclosing ... whats the purpose of that??? all thats being floated is innuendo and speculation ... Is the goal to force Dubinsky to come forward and disclose something to the public here ... and if so why ????

Probably to set up the Duby to EDM for McJesus blockbuster.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that still happens for the most part

what Portzline did was more an exception to the rule imo

I think most "personal issues" type "stories" still get buried by media (especially local beat writers). I think more comes into the public realm these days because of social media and more eyes being able to "see" and then "publish" stories :2cents:

/ in the future, maybe we see more of what Portzline did since traditional sports media is going bye bye with newspapers going the way of the dinosaur ... and as a reaction to more sports teams continuing to hire displaced former members of the media to be their media relations people / controllers of the message

Last edited:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that still happens for the most part

what Portzline did was more an exception to the rule imo

I think most "personal issues" type "stories" still get buried by media (especially local beat writers). I think more comes into the public realm these days because of social media and more eyes being able to "see" and then "publish" stories :2cents:

/ in the future, maybe we see more of what Portzline did since traditional sports media is going bye bye with newspapers going the way of the dinosaur ... and as a reaction to more sports teams continuing to hire displaced former members of the media to be their media relations people / controllers of the message

If its a true personal issue then I think the press should lay off. If a person needs to get help or is having family issues they should be able to do it out of the public eye.

Now if they tell a cop they're going run train on the cop's wife and nut in her eye...THAT needs to be reported!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree. When an individual has personal issues, they are "personal" and I do not think it is any "fan"s business. Hell, as a supervisor, the US HIPAA laws preclude me from even asking my employee the nature of their medical problems that caused them to be absent from work. To be technical, all the "paying fan" is paying for is access to a sporting event performed by the selling team. They have a right to see the event, and that really is all.

Agreed. That is all he should have said.

Let's say hypothetically he has an alcohol abuse problem. Do fans need to know that? How does knowing that change the fan's feeling about their team? But more importantly, how does knowing that help Duby??? Does it help him if "fans" start chanting "have a beer Duby" when he comes back? Does it help Duby if "fans" leave a case of beer on his front door step? Or see him in a restaurant and send over shots of bourbon?

Me, I prefer the course of action that helps the individual with the problem, not the "fan" who has not paid for 24/7 access into the personal lives of every employee of "my team".

My 2 cents.
Well, let's say he was addicted to drugs and was arrested and charged by police like Jarret Stoll or Mike Richards. Should that information be kept private as well?

What if Dubinsky's theoretical alcoholism had devolved to the point where he was driving drunk on a regular basis or exhibiting violent behaviour to people around him. Is such information not newsworthy considering he's a public figure?

If he's battling cancer or something, yeah that's information he's entitled to release on his own schedule.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's say he was addicted to drugs and was arrested and charged by police like Jarret Stoll or Mike Richards. Should that information be kept private as well?

What if Dubinsky's theoretical alcoholism had devolved to the point where he was driving drunk on a regular basis or exhibiting violent behaviour to people around him. Is such information not newsworthy considering he's a public figure?

If he's battling cancer or something, yeah that's information he's entitled to release on his own schedule.
If you're arrested and charged, that's public domain. That should definitely be reported on.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're arrested and charged, that's public domain. That should definitely be reported on.

Agreed if criminal activity is involved. I was focused on health issues, but I made an assumption myself.