• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy CowPies in the 'Lumbus

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential reveal of the Blue Jackets new third jersey?

cut.jpg

Reactions: gob

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL expansion draft | Blue Jackets work to keep young talent

"The Jackets are believed to be trading this year’s first-round draft pick (No. 24 overall) and a prospect (not Pierre-Luc Dubois or Sonny Milano) to Vegas for assurances that the Golden Knights will select either left wing Matt Calvert, center William Karlsson or defenseman Ryan Murray.

Vegas’ acquisition of the contract of injured veteran forward David Clarkson ($5.25 million salary cap hit) may also be part of the deal.
--------------------------------------------------

If the Clarkson deal goes the other way then I think that is a bad deal for the Jackets.

If it isn't? Then keep an eye on any Jackets fans in your life, they may feel compelled to do something drastic. This seems like so much to give up to keep a few guys that aren't nearly that important.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"The Jackets are believed to be trading this year’s first-round draft pick (No. 24 overall) and a prospect (not Pierre-Luc Dubois or Sonny Milano) to Vegas for assurances that the Golden Knights will select either left wing Matt Calvert, center William Karlsson or defenseman Ryan Murray.

Vegas’ acquisition of the contract of injured veteran forward David Clarkson ($5.25 million salary cap hit) may also be part of the deal.

If the Clarkson deal goes the other way then I think that is a bad deal for the Jackets.

If it isn't? Then keep an eye on any Jackets fans in your life, they may feel compelled to do something drastic. This seems like so much to give up to keep a few guys that aren't nearly that important.
I was just going to the Vegas thread to reply to Dash but you beat me to it. Am I missing something, or does the entire point of this exercise appear to be shedding Clarkson's salary from the payroll (not the cap because he's likely an LTIR lifer)?

Why would Murray be unprotected in any circumstance?

To give up a first rounder and a prospect to protect either Calvert or Karlsson (combined for 40 pts last season) when they can trade either/both for assets and plug the holes after the expansion draft is insane to me which means they're just really desperate to not have to cut Clarkson a cheque anymore. Which is god-awful team management.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I was just going to the Vegas thread to reply to Dash but you beat me to it. Am I missing something, or does the entire point of this exercise appear to be shedding Clarkson's salary from the payroll (not the cap because he's likely an LTIR lifer)?
Only point here is that you need to be spend to the cap for LTIR to be of any use.
If you aren't I guess it doesn't matter too much anyway.

It does seem awfully expensive as presented. Rumours gonna rumour.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would Murray be unprotected in any circumstance?

To give up a first rounder and a prospect to protect either Calvert or Karlsson (combined for 40 pts last season) when they can trade either/both for assets and plug the holes after the expansion draft is insane to me which means they're just really desperate to not have to cut Clarkson a cheque anymore. Which is god-awful team management.

If this is the reason then it really makes me think "WTF?", because I thought that the whole reason they traded Horton for Clarkson in the first place was that the latter's contract was covered and would be paid by an insurance policy while the former's was not. So are they just trying to save the cost of the deductible here?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am going to hope that that is a misprint and it's meant to say to *NOT* pick Karlsson on Murray.

Calvert needs to go one way or the other. And why they aren't moving away from Johnson, I don't understand.

If this is the reason then it really makes me think "WTF?", because I thought that the whole reason they traded Horton for Clarkson in the first place was that the latter's contract was covered and would be paid by an insurance policy while the former's was not. So are they just trying to save the cost of the deductible here?

There is the issue of needing to be within a certain percentage of the cap over the summer before they can LTIR him and with some young talent coming up on contracts, maybe they've figured out that they can't be within that percentage in time. No idea if that's it or not but it's plausible.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBJ announces Available and Protected lists ahead of 2017 Expansion Draft

So, the Ryan Murray thing was TwatWaffle being Twatwaffle. Thank God.

Here's the lists:
Protected:
Cam Atkinson (F)
Brandon Dubinsky (F)
Nick Foligno (F)
Scott Hartnell (F)
Boone Jenner (F)
Brandon Saad (F)
Alexander Wennberg (F)
Seth Jones (D)
Ryan Murray (D)
David Savard (D)
Sergei Bobrovsky (G)

Available:
Josh Anderson (F)
Alex Broadhurst (F)
Matt Calvert (F)
Zac Dalpe (F)
Sam Gagner (F)
Brett Gallant (F)
William Karlsson (F)
Lauri Korpikoski (F)
Lukas Sedlak (F)
T.J. Tynan (F)
Daniel Zaar (F)
Marc-Andre Bergeron (D)
Scott Harrington (D)
Jack Johnson (D)
Kyle Quincey (D)
John Ramage (D)
Jaime Sifers (D)
Ryan Stanton (D)
Oscar Dansk (G)
Anton Forsberg (G)
Joonas Korpisalo (G)

So if the Jackets are making a deal for them to stay away from anyone, it should be Anderson, Karlsson and Korpisalo. Just as I thought all along. Clarkman is not officially "Available", as he is exempt, but they could still trade him as part of a package to stay away from those three.

Goodbye, Jack.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBJ announces Available and Protected lists ahead of 2017 Expansion Draft

So, the Ryan Murray thing was TwatWaffle being Twatwaffle. Thank God.

Here's the lists:
Protected:
Cam Atkinson (F)
Brandon Dubinsky (F)
Nick Foligno (F)
Scott Hartnell (F)
Boone Jenner (F)
Brandon Saad (F)
Alexander Wennberg (F)
Seth Jones (D)
Ryan Murray (D)
David Savard (D)
Sergei Bobrovsky (G)

Available:
Josh Anderson (F)
Alex Broadhurst (F)
Matt Calvert (F)
Zac Dalpe (F)
Sam Gagner (F)
Brett Gallant (F)
William Karlsson (F)
Lauri Korpikoski (F)
Lukas Sedlak (F)
T.J. Tynan (F)
Daniel Zaar (F)
Marc-Andre Bergeron (D)
Scott Harrington (D)
Jack Johnson (D)
Kyle Quincey (D)
John Ramage (D)
Jaime Sifers (D)
Ryan Stanton (D)
Oscar Dansk (G)
Anton Forsberg (G)
Joonas Korpisalo (G)

So if the Jackets are making a deal for them to stay away from anyone, it should be Anderson, Karlsson and Korpisalo. Just as I thought all along. Clarkman is not officially "Available", as he is exempt, but they could still trade him as part of a package to stay away from those three.

Goodbye, Jack.

So if the rumours are true, how do you feel about essentially trading your 1st rounder for the best one of those three? It seems like an overpay to me but I don't follow the team very closely at all so there may be factors I don't know about.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the rumours are true, how do you feel about essentially trading your 1st rounder for the best one of those three? It seems like an overpay to me but I don't follow the team very closely at all so there may be factors I don't know about.
I just can't fathom a trade where a first rounder is traded for two fourth liners and a backup goalie isn't ridiculed to pieces and yet here we are.

Kadri isn't worth a first rounder though :wink:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't fathom a trade where a first rounder is traded for two fourth liners and a backup goalie isn't ridiculed to pieces and yet here we are.

Kadri isn't worth a first rounder though :wink:

And it's actually even worse than that, since Vegas couldn't take all of them anyway. 3 choose 1, for a late first. Seems nuts.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When dealing with Jarmo Kekeleinen in regards to trades you have to look at it abstractly. Any trade where the worst doesn't happen is a win by comparison.

He could have lost Murray for nothing, so him trading away the latest pick we've had in years in a weak draft but keeping Murray and one of Korpisalo, Anderson or Karlsson is a win by his standards. Even better if we can lose Clarkson's contract and/or Johnson while keeping all three of the kids.

In a normal world, no. I think it's too much. But for Jarmo, okay. He isn't shooting himself in the face. So, good!

My opinion would change dramatically if we didn't have so many promising prospects. Gavrikov, Abramaov, PLD, Carlsson, Milano, Kukan, Sedlak... All could make this team in the next 2 years. Milano is the weakest of the bunch and he's pretty decent. Plus there are guys like Hannikainen and Chaput who have had some success with the big club.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When dealing with Jarmo Kekeleinen in regards to trades you have to look at it abstractly. Any trade where the worst doesn't happen is a win by comparison.

He could have lost Murray for nothing, so him trading away the latest pick we've had in years in a weak draft but keeping Murray and one of Korpisalo, Anderson or Karlsson is a win by his standards. Even better if we can lose Clarkson's contract and/or Johnson while keeping all three of the kids.

In a normal world, no. I think it's too much. But for Jarmo, okay. He isn't shooting himself in the face. So, good!

My opinion would change dramatically if we didn't have so many promising prospects. Gavrikov, Abramaov, PLD, Carlsson, Milano, Kukan, Sedlak... All could make this team in the next 2 years. Milano is the weakest of the bunch and he's pretty decent. Plus there are guys like Hannikainen and Chaput who have had some success with the big club.

Your prospect optimism is kind of refreshing. I hope it works out.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how credible, but good on Nick if true. Even if the name of the trophy sucks.

Oh man, looking like tomorrow gon' be a good night for Nick!

Deserving guy, too. Has done so much for the Children's hospital here and in Boston. Plus got a ton of local businesses to donate to his cancer charity in his mother's name for each goal scored. Good guy, that Foligno.

Have not seen other confirmation, so your mileage may vary.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mind me. Just sorting out what the lines could look like next season...

Atkinson - Wennberg - Panarin
Bjorkstrand - PLD - Foligno
Jenner - Dubinsky - Anderson
Calvert - Sedlak - Anderson

Could still sign Gagner again (but he's gonna be due a huge raise), and Abramov, Milano, Hannakeinen and Tynan all have shots to gain a spot.

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Carlsson
Savard - Johnson

With Gavrikov, Kukan and Nutivaara all waiting for a shot. Harrington as a spare part.

Bob and Korpi in net.

We really need to move Johnson and Calvert our of the way and if they can add another sniper or strong winger in the process...