• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching rumor thread

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From BurntOrangeNation. Saban is at the top and it's a smoke screen. Then it's Urban Meyer.
Next is Gus Malzahn, Gundy and Briles. Longshot is Shaw. And they believe it's a done deal for Gus.

Gundy??? Oh hell no!!!!!!

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was over for Mack before OU game. For some reason, I think either he was told or he made the decision. Dodds was holding off on his announcement, even though the news had been broken by Chip Brown (who got nailed for it, but it turned out to be correct), then it seemed the damn had burst. Dodds acknowledged his leaving, and Mack just seemed, right before OU game, to be a lot more relaxed at pressers. Then again, he still panicked in some games, imo, changing the gameplans mid-game, but that just might be Mack's DNA, and he cant help himself.

As for Saban: it probably is a smoke screen, but I have this little tickle that there is something there. It seems like a foundation is being laid for him to leave Bama. I don't know, just something weird about the whole thing.

The new coach will probably end up being someone who slips in at the end, surprising us all. Don't think though they will hire anyone without head-coaching experience.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's Barking Carnival that is pushing Gary Anderson, formerly Utah State, now at Wisconsin in his first year.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One name I'm hearing - although nothing substantial - is Jim Mora Jr. I would be good with him. Only thing is he could possibly jump ship to the NFL, but I think he has maybe learned that his hardass tactics don't work for millionaires in the pros, but do for college kids.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most Longhorns would really like to see a coach with more big time success, but probably not going to happen.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Texas were to beat Baylor and Mack were to win Big 12 COTY, it would look really odd to see him retire/fired. :whistle:

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. It's back to love hate relationship. I want them to win, but I want Mack gone. I certainly see your point, but I have a feeling he's done even if he wins. At this point, you have to think he knows the strong feelings of the Texas alums big and small, and the fans win or lose. It's got to be wearing on him at this point of why put up with it anymore. I look at the recruiting class. I admit I haven't looked close, but I don't see any super stars. Maybe one Rival top 50. I know that's not an absolute, but it sure helps. It's kind of the same as last year at this point. I have no reason to believe we are going to be any better next year. Mack would never admit it, but I would bet a dollar that if he were honest with himself, he tell you he's thinking the same thing.

Half the room full of Longhorns will tell you his reputation of being an excellent recruiter is crap. The other half will tell you that we suck developing the great talent that he got. The funny thing is a good coach with good assistants will tell you by second season which one of us is correct.

Again, I'm going with gut. He has already been told he is done. He will be given the opportunity to announce his retirement after the Baylor game and before whatever bowl game. If he doesn't take that opportunity, he will be fired.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red McCombs won't be much of an influence. His SCOTUS case was ruled against him. It seems he participated in a scam to reduce his taxes and it will cost him Millions.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major to Florida, if it happens? Supposedly he and Muschamp get along and he needs an OC. What would be that status of Duane Akina? Would he stay or would he go?

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still think the announcement might come today or Monday. The sooner the better for all parties involved. Let's get this started officially.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not going to happen that soon. The Football Awards Banquet is in a week. Mack will be the MC. The no contact dead period for recruits begins on Dec16 and ends on Jan15. Sometime during that period, probably after the bowl game, Mack will announce his retirement.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not going to happen that soon. The Football Awards Banquet is in a week. Mack will be the MC. The no contact dead period for recruits begins on Dec16 and ends on Jan15. Sometime during that period, probably after the bowl game, Mack will announce his retirement.

That really surprises me. I would have thought the board would want this announcement as soon as possible. I just think that is way too late. I want the recruits to know that change is coming for sure. Just think this is a huge mistake. We definitely don't need Mack to coach in the bowl game.

BenM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briles would be a good choice, and Gundy at Okie St is another one. Saben would be an over paid poor choice. Sure, he's been successful at 'bama, but who wouldn't be with the stockpile of talent there. Saben 's offensive style would stagnate with UT's current talent level. Briles and Gundy have a rep for doing more with less.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're forgetting who produced that 'stockpile of talent'. It was Saban.

BenM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Saben is a good recruiter, but he's more than that. He's also a very savvy and capable coach. What I'm saying is that Saben's offensive style isn't a good fit for Texas. If you look back at the history of UT football, you'll see that the greatest teams have all featured an offense with a running QB. Saben prefers more of a pro-like set with the man under and deep set back - the old stand around style of football that's been around for decades. Sure, it's great when you're athletic enough to simply line up and run over people. Akers tried it. McWilliams tried it. Mack tried it in 2010. They all failed miserably. Texas needs to get back to who there are, who the've been great at being. And, not try to copy something that 'bama is doing.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hoping for Gruden guys. When talking about this coach, fans either love the idea - or hate the idea. I love it.

He can develop our qb's and kids will want to play for him. I see great recruiting potential in him. Also, if he can coach 2 different teams named the Raiders and the Bucs to Super Bowl caliber teams - imagine what he can do with our college players.