• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching rumor thread

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well have one. Lets face it, that is just where we are. I just heard I complete crazy one. The is a rumor going around that MIke Tomlin reached out to Texas. I dont really believe it, but I figured I would pass it along.

Last edited by a moderator:

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well have one. Lets face it, that is just where we are. I just heard I complete crazy one. The is a rumor going around that MIke Tomlin reached out to Texas. I dont really believe it, but I figured I would pass it along.

Crazy. Throw Gruden into the mix and we have our choice of SB winning coaches. Btw - I would take either of them over Briles. I hope we don't go that route.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike hasn't won a game this year. No way.

He is a solid coach with a championship. He is 41. He is a legit option. I seriously doubt he reached out, but I would take him. Kids would love him

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since codaxx hasn't updated this thread in a while, I'll do it.
Jesus and others at InsideTexas have stated that the Longhorn big wigs will replace Mack at the end of the season. This is supposedly a done deal even before the OSU loss.

He had the top 2 contenders as Saban and Briles. Briles got a new contract from Baylor this past week, so I'll assume he stays put at Baylor. Especially, with the new stadium in 2014.

I believe that Saban is a long shot as the next HC at Texas. However, if he were to come here and turn around the program he would be considered to be the best college HC ever. He might want that legacy.

... and while my favorite would have been Applewhite, I concede his coaching under Mack has killed his chances. If he had stayed at Bama, I believe he would have been the leading contender. Even he knows it was a mistake leaving Bama.

Who would be the others? Stanford's Shaw, Louisville's Strong, TCU's Patterson, Sumlin

Here's my list of coaches that Texas would not be interested in pursuing. LSU's Miles, Pelini, Stoops, Petrino

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to include Kirby Smart as one of the candidates that will be chased.

Coaches who would not be interested in the job. Meyer, Jumbo Fisher,

Dark horse candidates, Muschamp?

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since codaxx hasn't updated this thread in a while, I'll do it.
Jesus and others at InsideTexas have stated that the Longhorn big wigs will replace Mack at the end of the season. This is supposedly a done deal even before the OSU loss.

He had the top 2 contenders as Saban and Briles. Briles got a new contract from Baylor this past week, so I'll assume he stays put at Baylor. Especially, with the new stadium in 2014.

I believe that Saban is a long shot as the next HC at Texas. However, if he were to come here and turn around the program he would be considered to be the best college HC ever. He might want that legacy.

... and while my favorite would have been Applewhite, I concede his coaching under Mack has killed his chances. If he had stayed at Bama, I believe he would have been the leading contender. Even he knows it was a mistake leaving Bama.

Who would be the others? Stanford's Shaw, Louisville's Strong, TCU's Patterson, Sumlin

Here's my list of coaches that Texas would not be interested in pursuing. LSU's Miles, Pelini, Stoops, Petrino

Not sure about it being a done deal before the OSU game. I believe if Mack would have won out and won the BIG 12, they would have given him final farewell year. I don't agree with it, but I feel like they would have.

I think If offered, Briles would leave Baylor in a heartbeat. Baylor is one of those programs that is here today and gone tomorrow. Kind of like Boise St. They don't have the potential of being a long time contender like Texas. Don't know what to think about Briles. It's pretty amazing what he has done at Baylor. Is it legit? I never had got an answer on academic standards. Does Baylor have lower ones. If so, then I'm not as impressed since he is getting good players because they have nowhere else to go. Also, you just have to wonder why a top player would want to go there when they can go anywhere. We all cheat, but some more than others. Where does Baylor stand on this? I'm not a big southern Baptist fan, so I won't comment. I guess I would be ok with Briles, if he turned it around with using the same tactics as everyone else has.

Poor Applewhite. Yep, he should have stayed at Bama. Not sure if he is ready for a head coach position at a school like Texas. Probably needs to start somewhere else first.

I totally agree about Saban. He will have to want the challenge. It's been said a million times. He has everything at Alabama. He's on a roll, and it looks like the roll will continue for a sometime, but nothing lasts forever. The only direction Alabama can go is sideways or down. He would go down as one of the greatest if he came to Texas and turned it around like Bama. It's all about the challenge vs easy. He is 62.

Who knows about the others. The great thing about Texas is that they can get just about who ever they want.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban's age is not a factor. Augie is 70 something and they keep letting him coach baseball.

Baylor did have that major problem with their basketball program and yes they do have lower standards.

IMO Mack's biggest problem is he lets Christianity interfere with his reasoning on recruits.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been meaning to get over here and ask yall about who the next coach will be if/when it happens, for the record I think it will happen now, I had my doubts when it looked like Texas might jump up and win the B12 but I think that's over now (JMO).
Id like yalls opinion on Mark Dantonio. I think he would be a terror at a Texas or USC much like a Saban or Tressel at a high profile program, I just don't know how he would do vs the B12 offenses week in week out. Thoughts?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know about him, but I feel like Texas will hire a HC who is known for a specialty. My preference would be a defensive minded coach.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people will disagree with me on this, and I know the reasons - but I still love the idea of Gruden.

All we need is a coach who can:

1) Recruit - check
2) Motivate - check
3) Hire good assistants - don't know but he would have to be better than Mack here
4) Coach up - check (imo)

This would be the biggest PR hire outside of maybe Saban. The news would suddenly shift from aggies to us again. Kids would want to play for him.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longhorn big money donor Joe Jamail says that Mack deserves to decide when he retires. He was the one who said "Fire Mackovic" after the UCLA loss. Joe donated the money for the South End Zone facility.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another that may be looked at, Jerry Gray. Longhorn Alumnus and the DC for the 10-1 Seattle Seahawks. They are also the #3 Defense in the NFL.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping he would be our DC in 2011. But nooooooo. We had to have Manny Diaz.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longhorn big money donor Joe Jamail says that Mack deserves to decide when he retires. He was the one who said "Fire Mackovic" after the UCLA loss. Joe donated the money for the South End Zone facility.

I have no problem with him retiring when he wants. AS LONG AS IT'S AFTER THIS SEASON! I let him pick the day. :laugh3:

If he hasn't been told by now, he will be told shortly. He's done as head coach at The University of Texas. They are going to let Mack announce his retirement after the last game and sometime before the bowl game and make it look like it's his decision. Let him go our with dignity. That's the way it should be. Mack's a pretty smart guy. He knows that if he tries to stay, he will end up getting fired.

Let's go out and get the best coach available and get this damn program moving forward again! Here's to another National Championship by 2018!!!! :suds:

P.S. If he's there next season, you will be able to knock me over with a feather.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping he would be our DC in 2011. But nooooooo. We had to have Manny Diaz.

Terrible decision by Mack. I said this before, but I believe he lets his Christianity interfere with football decisions.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From BurntOrangeNation. Saban is at the top and it's a smoke screen. Then it's Urban Meyer.
Next is Gus Malzahn, Gundy and Briles. Longshot is Shaw. And they believe it's a done deal for Gus.