• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach O'Brien thread I - what do you think?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've waited to start this one for a while, because I wanted to watch and read before I cast any judgment, but I'm optimistic, for the following reasons:

(1) The staff he's put together, especially Fitz.
(2) The early jump on recruiting. Seems like the staff is relentless in pursuit its collective pursuit, and it's showing returns.
(3) The pace and intensity of practices has increased.
(4) The players seem to be happy.

What do you think?

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Coach O'Brien is doing a good job for mostly the same reasons as you. That said I'm not expecting too much from our offense mostly due to the QB situation. I expect that we'll do ok and possibly even hit 10 wins with a bowl game.

I know that I should be thrilled about that but I'm more excited about the following season when he'll have a full year of players getting familiarized with his system and some of his style of recruits. It'll also help that he'll have first hand experience with the way the other coaches in the conference play the game.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am much more excited at this point than I thought I would be a few months ago...

jjoshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I didn't like the initial hire, but after seeing what he's done so far, I think we may have gotten a steal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After I watched his first press conference, I was sold on him as much as I could be at that point. Before that shitstorm of events throughout the Fall ocurred, I was all about getting a big hire for our next head coach. But after seeing what O'Brien seems to be about, I realize he's the type of guy we should want here at Penn State. He came here for all the right reasons as far as I'm concerned, and I really don't think there's much more we could have asked for out of someone walking into the biggest pile of shit possible. Could we be heading into a season with no production on offense and a defense not up to our usual standards? Sure. But I'm excited as fuck to see what's going to happen.

As far as the specifics, my list is pretty much the same as JM's. Fitz is the real deal, and really freaking excited to be here from what I've seen. They had the players up at the ass crack of dawn for those conditioning days before real practices began. Definitely good to see some change in that area.

As for everything else, I guess we'll just have to wait and see :p

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've waited to start this one for a while, because I wanted to watch and read before I cast any judgment, but I'm optimistic, for the following reasons:

(1) The staff he's put together, especially Fitz.
(2) The early jump on recruiting. Seems like the staff is relentless in pursuit its collective pursuit, and it's showing returns.
(3) The pace and intensity of practices has increased.
(4) The players seem to be happy.

What do you think?

Fitz is a HUGE addition to the program. Our strength program flat out sucked. Kids got weaker and slower in our system. Kids that got stronger worked out on their own.

Recruiting is incredible considering the circumstances. This staff is tireless and all over the place mending fences and pushing back into places like Ohio and Florida. O'Brien knew what he was doing putting together this staff, credentials a mile long, great mix of veteran NFL experience, youthful energy and kept the 2 most important workers from the last staff. BOB seems like a straight shooter and kids seem to love him.

Everything is more intense, no more "well, he's a good kid and has earned his playing time". As much as I love Joe and everything he did, he got soft in the last 15 years and did not play the best players. Love the fact we will be much more aggressive on both sides of ball, kids will flock when they see us running the new system on both sides of ball.

Team clearly happy, no transfers, everyone has a clean slate and they know the best man will play now, not the longest tenured. True competition breeds success. They all love the new strength program as well.

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz is a HUGE addition to the program. Our strength program flat out sucked. Kids got weaker and slower in our system. Kids that got stronger worked out on their own.

Recruiting is incredible considering the circumstances. This staff is tireless and all over the place mending fences and pushing back into places like Ohio and Florida. O'Brien knew what he was doing putting together this staff, credentials a mile long, great mix of veteran NFL experience, youthful energy and kept the 2 most important workers from the last staff. BOB seems like a straight shooter and kids seem to love him.

Everything is more intense, no more "well, he's a good kid and has earned his playing time". As much as I love Joe and everything he did, he got soft in the last 15 years and did not play the best players. Love the fact we will be much more aggressive on both sides of ball, kids will flock when they see us running the new system on both sides of ball.

Team clearly happy, no transfers, everyone has a clean slate and they know the best man will play now, not the longest tenured. True competition breeds success. They all love the new strength program as well.

Agree with all of this. Fitz is by far my favorite new hire at this point. I'm so excited.