• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Closer: Bailey Or Hanrahan

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WEEI did a poll earlier today on who the Red Sox should have as there closer (of course when Hanrahan gets healthy that is).

So who should the Red Sox have as there closer? Bailey or Hanrahan?

I vote Bailey since he has been getting it done and Hanrahan is shaky at best.. Yes I know the Sox paid him to be the closer but let's face it, if you can't get the job done and someone else can then too bad.

Bailey's job to lose imo.

What say you?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the "closer role" is a less important position, so I'll say Hanrahan.

I'd rather have Bailey come on in the 7th with the bases loaded of a one run game. This is where your best relevier is needed. This is where games are won and lost. (Not starting the 9th inning of a three run game).... I thnk the "save" is the worst stat and teams are stupid for creating a role just to acquire that stat....

That said, I might rather have Uehara or Tazawa in that 7th inning situation....

That said, I think Boston's pen will be crazy good this year.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Uehara or Tazawa come in the 7th inning with the scenerio you mentioned steve. I mean They have seemed (knock on wood) to shut the door

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bailey mostly for fantasy purposes ha ha. I think he's the better pitcher too, just has to stay 'healthy'. Nice problem to have though, 2 guys that have done it before.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bailey mostly for fantasy purposes ha ha. I think he's the better pitcher too, just has to stay 'healthy'. Nice problem to have though, 2 guys that have done it before.

haha - good old fantasy! Yes it is a very good problem to have... assuming both can stay healthy!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Hanrahan blows it! UGG!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and now both are on the DL

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSTON -- Closer Joel Hanrahan's visit to Dr. James Andrews has confirmed what the Red Sox may have feared: damage to the flexor muscle tendon of his right forearm.
Hanrahan, who was on his way back from Alabama as of Friday afternoon, will discuss his options with the team in the near future, with season-ending surgery a possibility. The alternative, rest and rehabilitation, will also keep him inactive for at least six weeks before he could begin throwing again.
"In situations like this, it's not uncommon for the player to make the final decision," manager John Farrell said. "Certainly it's his career, it's his arm."
Farrell said the 31-year-old right-hander has talked about having similar discomfort in 2009, but since he missed no time due to the injury, the Red Sox were unaware of that during their trade discussions with Pittsburgh.
"I've got to believe the number of years he's pitched, probably a cumulative effect," Farrell said. "And then ultimately as we saw, on one pitch the other night."
While the Red Sox are unaware if there's any damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in Hanrahan's arm -- an injury that could require Tommy John surgery -- a further look under the microscope could eventually reveal ligament damage.
"I'm not saying this is Joel's situation, but in a situation such as his type, once they have an ability to open up the arm and look at it directly, they can make a more clear decision at that time, if in fact Tommy John is needed," Farrell said.
Hanrahan, who left Monday's game after facing four batters, was placed on the 60-day disabled list Thursday. He was 4-for-6 in save chances this season while posting a 9.82 ERA and walking six in 7 1/3 innings.
Mark Melancon has been one of the best setup men in the Majors, Ivan De Jesus is hitting .314 in Triple-A and Stolmy Pimentel has a 1.99 ERA in Double-A, while Hanrahan -- the key player the Red Sox received from the Pirates in the Dec. 26 trade -- could be out for the rest of the season.
Andrew Bailey, who was closing in Hanrahan's absence before a sore right biceps landed him on the 15-day disabled list, is making progress toward a return.
Bailey threw from 105 feet Friday and felt no pain.

Remember - Don't shoot the messenger Red!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope will never shoot your Big.... This could be a blessing in disguise here

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's Keith Foulke up to these days?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foulke returned to the big leagues with Oakland, then called it a career after a turn with Newark in '09. In his 11 years in the big leagues, he saved 191 games and won another 41. He had three years in Boston, one of which should earn him enduring respect from Sox fans, even the "Johnny from Burger King" he never intended to offend.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now neither are effective with the Red Sox. I don't want either of them now...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closer: Bailey or Hanrahan?

Today's answer - Tazawa.

That is my guess for the moment.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closer: Bailey or Hanrahan?

Today's answer - Tazawa.

That is my guess for the moment.

Tazawa should have been for a while. However I am not sure how many opportunities he will get since he was imo the "ace" of the 7th and or 8th inning

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tazawa should have been for a while. However I am not sure how many opportunities he will get since he was imo the "ace" of the 7th and or 8th inning

Well, shows you what I know.

I am just now hearing that Farrell will actually give Koji Uehara first dibs on the closer role. Color me surprised.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, shows you what I know.

I am just now hearing that Farrell will actually give Koji Uehara first dibs on the closer role. Color me surprised.

Don't mind seeing this if true as well. Hopefully he can do it

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the "closer role" is a less important position, so I'll say Hanrahan.

I'd rather have Bailey come on in the 7th with the bases loaded of a one run game. This is where your best relevier is needed. This is where games are won and lost. (Not starting the 9th inning of a three run game).... I thnk the "save" is the worst stat and teams are stupid for creating a role just to acquire that stat....

That said, I might rather have Uehara or Tazawa in that 7th inning situation....

That said, I think Boston's pen will be crazy good this year.
Until further notice it should be Uehara.

His age is a bit of concern, but he's done well so far. If he's rested he's the man for me.