• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland Draft...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was Cleveland, I would try to trade back to around 5-8 with the 1st round pick...grab another 1st round pick next year and a 2nd and 3rd this year.

If I was Hue, I wouldn't even try to take a QB in the draft unless it is later on to groom. I would work like crazy to convince McCarron to come to Cleveland.

They have a good offensive line, they have Josh Gordon back. I would go defense and then WR with the 1st two picks if you can trade down:

Signing McCarron as their QB for 4 to 5 years
4th Pick: Derwin James, SS, Florida State
5-8 Pick: Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist
2nd Round Pick (1) : Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
2nd Round Pick (2) : Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
2nd Round Pick (3) : Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
2nd Round Pick (4) : Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas

Plus, they would have 2 (3rd round picks). Along with 2 1st round picks next year again.

McCarron under Jackson, along with more secondary help and pairing Sutton and Gordon together for McCarron and a decent offensive line could make that offense pretty good.

Offense would be young, but it would be loaded with talent. Maybe use some money in the offseason to also sign a FA CB to help the secondary.

Cleveland has a chance to be a pretty dang good team if they do this offseason right.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the best QB draft class in a decade. If the Browns pass on a QB at #1...after going 0-16...after twenty years of absolute futility at the position...that fanbase just may burn the stadium to the ground.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is....which is the true QB coming out of this class and not just a hyped up pretender? Browns can't afford to pick wrong again. Go with a known commodity.

If Cousins doesn't get signed by Washington, or if McCarron becomes a free agent, or Alex Smith is affordable in a trade....you kind of go with a known commodity at this point and draft a QB later on to groom.

They are literally a QB away from being competitive and have been for years. You go after that known commodity and you build around them immediately through this draft. They already have a decent offensive line to protect him.

You grab Sutton and Love, while resigning Gordon and hope he doesn't go stupid again. Along with Duke Johnson and that line, a veteran QB with leadership skills immediately makes that offense someone to wreckon with. They have talent on defense, but they need a little secondary help. Try to grab a veteran FA CB and draft another in the 2nd round. Plus, if they trade down from the #1 pick to 5-8, they can still grab Sutton and Love in the second, while allowing them to go after a S or CB with one of their first round picks. Plus, it gives you additional picks, including another 1st next year and a couple higher picks this year. A team like the Jets may be willing to trade up with a 1st next year and this years 2nd and 3rd to grab the QB they want for the next 10 years.

I just do not see the Browns as having an option to spend their 1st round pick on a rookie QB, groom him and for Jackson to maintain his job after this year. Jackson needs to turn this ship around right now, and the only way to do that is put a veteran signal caller behind center.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the best QB draft class in a decade. If the Browns pass on a QB at #1...after going 0-16...after twenty years of absolute futility at the position...that fanbase just may burn the stadium to the ground.

Deep, and there I think are a lot of contributors, but no sure fire superstar. There are 3-4 guys you could be happy getting if you were looking for a QB. OP says to trade back to 5-8 in the 1st, and I agree. There will be an upgrade at QB available there if that's what they're even going after.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the 2016 NFL draft when the talking heads were convinced that Goff and Wentz weren't close to the same level as the top two in 2015 - Mariotta and Winston?

I think scouting has come a long way - But I think scouting of qbs is still lagging behind in some places.

All that said, I think Cleveland needs to put it's chips all in on the top qb available. I'd also consider trying to make a trade of one of my second rounders (along with another asset) for a chance to get another first rounder in 2019. If they are truly taking the longview, they should keep pushing picks into future years. Building a team with 5 players taken in the first 2 rounds in any one given season will cause a lot of difficulty in future years with subsequent contracts.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cleveland is another team that needs to protect their QB. the revolving door will continue if they don't give their QB time to throw.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cleveland is another team that needs to protect their QB. the revolving door will continue if they don't give their QB time to throw.

Cleveland has one of the better offensive lines in the NFL. They are just lacking a QB who can lead that offense and rally the troops. They are not lacking talent, they are lacking the one piece that is vital to an NFL football team being worth a lick. I would want a veteran as my QB and let the kid they got last year from Notre Dame be able to learn behind a veteran for 2 to 3 years.

Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Kirk Cousins

If one of those guys becomes available in FA or via trade, I think they need to go after it. Not that I want Cleveland to become a powerhouse in our division, but I rather it be Cleveland near the top than I would Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland has one of the better offensive lines in the NFL. They are just lacking a QB who can lead that offense and rally the troops. They are not lacking talent, they are lacking the one piece that is vital to an NFL football team being worth a lick. I would want a veteran as my QB and let the kid they got last year from Notre Dame be able to learn behind a veteran for 2 to 3 years.

Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Kirk Cousins

If one of those guys becomes available in FA or via trade, I think they need to go after it. Not that I want Cleveland to become a powerhouse in our division, but I rather it be Cleveland near the top than I would Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

out of all those I think I have the most faith in Alex Smith.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Kirk Cousins

A team that loses all 16 game they are playing is definitely lacking talent. They are not one piece away..... They are many pieces away. As long as you plan to build a team that might one day be competitive for championships, why not get a quarterback that can actually win championships? I'd draft a guy if I were them..... They've already made this mistake more than once. Take the best qb available in the draft and ride him out.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team that loses all 16 game they are playing is definitely lacking talent. They are not one piece away..... They are many pieces away. As long as you plan to build a team that might one day be competitive for championships, why not get a quarterback that can actually win championships? I'd draft a guy if I were them..... They've already made this mistake more than once. Take the best qb available in the draft and ride him out.

And they have already made "THAT" mistake more than once also.

You need a vet to train the young guy how to be a professional and how to prepare. With a vet QB and another solid draft with all these picks in the first two rounds, they are right there. They lack a little talent in the secondary and at QB and WR. WR got better once Gordon came back. Add one more piece to that like Sutton and WR is not that bad off anymore. Get a vet QB and that is no longer a weakness. Add some secondary help and some youthful depth and they are right there to hang with anyone. Just need some breaks to go their way kinda like what the Bengals did once Marvin took over. Stop having questionable calls against them, be more disciplined, finish. I am telling you, that Browns team is right there, but they need a veteran signal caller to weather them through the next couple years while Kiser learns, or another pick learns.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The Browns will make me regret wasting my time arguing in their favor but the 49ers were 2 and 24 in their prior 26 games before Garroppolo took over.
They have a good offensive line with a great LT. Josh Gordon's still young. If he returns to form it's not a bad place for a QB to land. I would definitely go the young, cost effective QB route though.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they have already made "THAT" mistake more than once also.

You need a vet to train the young guy how to be a professional and how to prepare. With a vet QB and another solid draft with all these picks in the first two rounds, they are right there. They lack a little talent in the secondary and at QB and WR. WR got better once Gordon came back. Add one more piece to that like Sutton and WR is not that bad off anymore. Get a vet QB and that is no longer a weakness. Add some secondary help and some youthful depth and they are right there to hang with anyone. Just need some breaks to go their way kinda like what the Bengals did once Marvin took over. Stop having questionable calls against them, be more disciplined, finish. I am telling you, that Browns team is right there, but they need a veteran signal caller to weather them through the next couple years while Kiser learns, or another pick learns.

When did they make THAT mistake? They keep relying on draft picks that aren't the best prospects in the draft. They continue to pass on the top 2 guys and try for someone in the top 5 of all qb prospects. It hasn't worked.... It's netted them guys like Bray Quinn, Brandon Weeden, and Jonny Football. If they would have taken Goff or Wentz, they wouldn't be in this situation. Instead, they blew a 3rd on Kessler. Than they follow it up by blowing a second on Kizer - Who is not the answer. Why continue to waste these picks when you have a top 10 pick to take the top guy in the draft? It doesn't make since.

And why do you need a vet to train the young guy how to be a pro? It doesn't work like that anymore....Dalton made the playoffs in his first year. Wentz and Goff both started in their first year. Deshaun Watson would have had the Texans in the playoffs in his first year. Dak Prescott took the Cowboys to the playoffs in his first year.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they only fixed 1 or 2 draft mistake, it would still be a shit show.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did they make THAT mistake? They keep relying on draft picks that aren't the best prospects in the draft. They continue to pass on the top 2 guys and try for someone in the top 5 of all qb prospects. It hasn't worked.... It's netted them guys like Bray Quinn, Brandon Weeden, and Jonny Football. If they would have taken Goff or Wentz, they wouldn't be in this situation. Instead, they blew a 3rd on Kessler. Than they follow it up by blowing a second on Kizer - Who is not the answer. Why continue to waste these picks when you have a top 10 pick to take the top guy in the draft? It doesn't make since.

And why do you need a vet to train the young guy how to be a pro? It doesn't work like that anymore....Dalton made the playoffs in his first year. Wentz and Goff both started in their first year. Deshaun Watson would have had the Texans in the playoffs in his first year. Dak Prescott took the Cowboys to the playoffs in his first year.

I see what you are saying, but there are just as many top busts as there are prospects that make it. People had a hard time deciding who was the better prospect between Manning and Leaf, which I never thought was close. Now you take this group, less potential, but not a terrible floor either. Of the top 5 guys, probably only two will be successful, the other 3 are going to be lucky to be backups. Can Cleveland afford another 3 to 4 years of a high level drafted QB to see if he pans out? Does Hue Jackson have that kind of time? If I was Hue, I go into my bubble season with a veteran QB, not a rookie that has as great of a chance of failing as he does succeeding. It is just too risky for Jackson's career. He needs a veteran right now that can put wins on the board, and he needs to surround that guy with talent.

As a Browns fan, I would probably want the draft pick because I would always be a fan so I have time. Jackson on the other hand, he has no time. This is his last year to turn things around in my opinion.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was Cleveland, I would try to trade back to around 5-8 with the 1st round pick...grab another 1st round pick next year and a 2nd and 3rd this year.

If I was Hue, I wouldn't even try to take a QB in the draft unless it is later on to groom. I would work like crazy to convince McCarron to come to Cleveland.

They have a good offensive line, they have Josh Gordon back. I would go defense and then WR with the 1st two picks if you can trade down:

Signing McCarron as their QB for 4 to 5 years
4th Pick: Derwin James, SS, Florida State
5-8 Pick: Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist
2nd Round Pick (1) : Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
2nd Round Pick (2) : Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
2nd Round Pick (3) : Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
2nd Round Pick (4) : Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas

Plus, they would have 2 (3rd round picks). Along with 2 1st round picks next year again.

McCarron under Jackson, along with more secondary help and pairing Sutton and Gordon together for McCarron and a decent offensive line could make that offense pretty good.

Offense would be young, but it would be loaded with talent. Maybe use some money in the offseason to also sign a FA CB to help the secondary.

Cleveland has a chance to be a pretty dang good team if they do this offseason right.
Any Bengals fans interested in drafting for the Bengals. In this years SportsHoopla Mock draft? @Tubbs1518 did it last year. But it looks like its been a while since he's been on. If any of you want to draft for the Bengals or even another available team.You can sign up here.Its a great group of people and a lot of fun :suds:

Nos' 5th Annual NFL Mock Draft : CHAT

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss August.