• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clemson vs. Ball State wrap up

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to some time to digest this weekend's game and look over the stats this morning. The offense is rolling; I don't care who we've played, rolling up 500+ yards in two straight games is impressive. We scored 32 points (yes, you read that correctly) in the second quarter this weekend before shutting the starters down for good and went into the half with a 45-10 lead. All of the receivers looked great except for Martavis Bryant's drop, and it was good to see Ford rebound from the Auburn game this week. A lot of quick, lateral throws by the QBs but it allowed the wide outs to get into space where they look good (also didn't show anything to future opponents). Ellington and Hot Rod both looked good too; Zack Brooks is definitely a work in progress though.

The defense is still a work in progress, but the DTs look very good against the middle runs. We are getting gashed on the outside runs, but a lot of their yardage came in the second half with the twos and threes in the game. Our DE have got to do better setting the edge and at least eating up the blocks of the OL so the linebackers can make plays, but the linebackers (outside of Anthony and Blanks) really didn't impress much after the second quarter. I like Venables aggressiveness though, but the safeties have to stay home when we blitz. Brewer was out of position several times on big runs, and I expect that will improve as he sees more snaps at FS (he was moved from CB this year).

Overall, a good performance against an overmatched opponent that saw 80 guys take snaps for the second half which will go a long way in building depth. Remember last year against C. Michigan and Wofford that we did not have a big lead with which to let the twos and threes play, and I think that's part of the reason we struggled late in the season. Games like this are not about the final score, but what the first team can do to build a big lead and let the backups see some action.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am much more worried about the Clempson game after seeing your offense sans Sammy. Your defense still looks pretty shaky, but our O hasn't been anything to write home about.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense honestly hasn't shown a whole lot. I was very happy with only giving up 19 to Auburn, but we've gotten to play a lot of younger guys so far this year. The lack of pressure from the DE and inconsistent play of the back 7 against the run worries me, but we have another tune up before FSU and the meat of the schedule starts. We don't really have any stud RBs coming up (although FSU always has some athletes) and the kid from Ball State was really, really good at running through contact.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DB's looked confused several times. Breeland looks like he may get picked on all season.

I'm liking Anthony's play at LB. Have you heard anything about Tony Steward?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DB's looked confused several times. Breeland looks like he may get picked on all season.

I'm liking Anthony's play at LB. Have you heard anything about Tony Steward?

Steward is mired in the depth chart behind Corico Hawkins and Tig Willard at the Will, and with Travis Blanks playing the majority of the snaps at Sam (and Quandon Christian taking the rest), he's kinda stuck for now.