• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clemson hype is back

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Clemson in my pickem. For 1 point, but I picked them, nevertheless.

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson sucked too in 06....sorry...

I don't know why you feel the need to validate your quasi-rival, but you are just wrong.

I'm not. The point is that at 7-1... the hype that they were getting was pretty well deserved.

The point only was that Clemson rarely gets preseason hype. Clemson preseason hype is a strange myth that I don't understand.

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, that is true, but they climb polls faster than many other teams, It may be a name recognition thing, but they scream up them.

It could be... it could be by nature of the teams that they beat, too.

Look at South Florida, they screamed up the polls this year all the way to 15th, mostly just for beating Notre Dame.

I think most teams would jump to where Clemson has after the 2 wins they just put together.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be... it could be by nature of the teams that they beat, too.

Look at South Florida, they screamed up the polls this year all the way to 15th, mostly just for beating Notre Dame.

I think most teams would jump to where Clemson has after the 2 wins they just put together.

I think it's partly because of the conference. Nearly every year people expect Clemson to be at least a threat to compete for the ACC crown, so as soon as they start looking decent they are ushered upward in the polls to fit the expectation. It may not always translate to national pre-season hype, but they do get a lot of regional "consideration."

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that in years past, the hype was a result of good recruiting and it was expected to show up on the field, but we lacked the coaching staff to develop that talent so it didn't translate into wins and the hype was quickly extinguished. This year we weren't expected to do much at all. I think most of the so-called experts had us at 7-5 at best and probably 2-3 after the first 5 games, so coming out of the gate at 4-0 with a young QB, Mostly Fresh. WR's, and a new OC is unexpected. Not to mention our offense has looked pretty good in the last two outings. Yea I know what you're thinking: Auburn is weak, FSU was without EJ and a starting corner, and two wins over cupcakes don't impress you. Well all that will put to rest tomorrow. Is the hype deserved? Honestly I don't care. After years of being hyped and crumbling , I don't buy into the BS they're shoveling, especially this early in the season. It's just meaningless chatter at this point. Let's talk after week 8 or so and see where we stand or lay. Anyway, I think this is as good a team as we've had in a long time, but that's just MHO. A lot will be revealed tomorrow. GO TIGERS!!!!

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I did not rep him for that post though, hadn't read it. He deserves a swift kick to the shins.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that in years past, the hype was a result of good recruiting and it was expected to show up on the field, but we lacked the coaching staff to develop that talent so it didn't translate into wins and the hype was quickly extinguished. This year we weren't expected to do much at all. I think most of the so-called experts had us at 7-5 at best and probably 2-3 after the first 5 games, so coming out of the gate at 4-0 with a young QB, Mostly Fresh. WR's, and a new OC is unexpected. Not to mention our offense has looked pretty good in the last two outings. Yea I know what you're thinking: Auburn is weak, FSU was without EJ and a starting corner, and two wins over cupcakes don't impress you. Well all that will put to rest tomorrow. Is the hype deserved? Honestly I don't care. After years of being hyped and crumbling , I don't buy into the BS they're shoveling, especially this early in the season. It's just meaningless chatter at this point. Let's talk after week 8 or so and see where we stand or lay. Anyway, I think this is as good a team as we've had in a long time, but that's just MHO. A lot will be revealed tomorrow. GO TIGERS!!!!

Welcome to SportsHoopla sir (I know you've been here for a bit), you are indeed a quality addition.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Trickett played very well I thought. We didn't get any pressure on him for most of the game. That has me worried. They also can't run the ball. They only had 29 yds. against us and our Run D is mediocre at best thus far this season. It worries me that our D may not be able to get your O off the field, therefore limiting our own O to a small window of opportunity. I hope I'm wrong and that Steele has been cooking up something special for ya'll.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea, Trickett played very well I thought. We didn't get any pressure on him for most of the game. That has me worried. They also can't run the ball. They only had 29 yds. against us and our Run D is mediocre at best thus far this season. It worries me that our D may not be able to get your O off the field, therefore limiting our own O to a small window of opportunity. I hope I'm wrong and that Steele has been cooking up something special for ya'll.

FSU has a great line, so that isn't surprising. Ours is improved but not nearly as good.

Aren't you guys really low on the rush defense? Either way, who knows, I'm really excited about the game and have warned people that I'm going to be particularly loud tomorrow (I'm known for being loud during games).

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU has a great line, so that isn't surprising. Ours is improved but not nearly as good.

Aren't you guys really low on the rush defense? Either way, who knows, I'm really excited about the game and have warned people that I'm going to be particularly loud tomorrow (I'm known for being loud during games).

I hear that. If you come back with a voice I would question your fanaticism. I can remember a lot of games (mostly FSU & USC) where I couldn't talk on Sunday. My seats were row B on the 35 yd line on the North (visitors) side. So we sat right behind the opposing bench. Let's just say they could hear us. We also ate a lot of crow.