• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Classic hockey games on CBC

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Getting to be an old fart in my latter 40's now, as much as I remember always loving hockey and following it, your memory fades all the time and you tend to forget just what it was like and how the game has changed over the years. Thats what makes it interesting to watch the Stanley Cup Classics CBC has been showing every Sunday night in the late hours.

What I find interesting is that the speed of the game hasn't exactly been a steady incline, as I noticed tonight. I say this because last week I watched the 75 Final between the Flyers and Sabres, and compared to hockey of today, these guys were not nearly as fit or conditiond, in fact they were slow and sluggish in comparison. None-the-less , I am watching the 1967 final on right now between the Habs and Leafs and these two teams are without question noticeably faster and seem more talented. This 1967 finals game is just constant end-to-end action and makes last weeks Sabres/Flyers final of 75 seeem like a snooze fest. I am guessing either one of these teams from the 67 final would have destroyed the 75 Flyers or Sabres

Funny how that is the case. Its like Hockey was great in the 50's and 60's, then took a turn for the worse for a while before it got better. Everybody knows the Habs dynasy of the 70's was unbelievable and arguably the best ever, but it makes you wonder if this was more a result of the lack of talent and competition through much of these years that made them stand out so much

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting to be an old fart in my latter 40's now, as much as I remember always loving hockey and following it, your memory fades all the time and you tend to forget just what it was like and how the game has changed over the years. Thats what makes it interesting to watch the Stanley Cup Classics CBC has been showing every Sunday night in the late hours.

What I find interesting is that the speed of the game hasn't exactly been a steady incline, as I noticed tonight. I say this because last week I watched the 75 Final between the Flyers and Sabres, and compared to hockey of today, these guys were not nearly as fit or conditiond, in fact they were slow and sluggish in comparison. None-the-less , I am watching the 1967 final on right now between the Habs and Leafs and these two teams are without question noticeably faster and seem more talented. This 1967 finals game is just constant end-to-end action and makes last weeks Sabres/Flyers final of 75 seeem like a snooze fest. I am guessing either one of these teams from the 67 final would have destroyed the 75 Flyers or Sabres

Funny how that is the case. Its like Hockey was great in the 50's and 60's, then took a turn for the worse for a while before it got better. Everybody knows the Habs dynasy of the 70's was unbelievable and arguably the best ever, but it makes you wonder if this was more a result of the lack of talent and competition through much of these years that made them stand out so much

well...considering that sounds like MOST of the habs victories, i agree. not to sound like some new, youngin' with no appericiation for the O6, but the way things were run was obviously ridiculous and set the habs up for sure-fire victory almost all of the time. the zoning and buying up specific areas to draft players was just...well, obviously unfair and led to so many of the habs cups.

klyper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
[/B]

well...considering that sounds like MOST of the habs victories, i agree. not to sound like some new, youngin' with no appericiation for the O6, but the way things were run was obviously ridiculous and set the habs up for sure-fire victory almost all of the time. the zoning and buying up specific areas to draft players was just...well, obviously unfair and led to so many of the habs cups.

hell no! definitely not like "most" of the Habs victories at all. Do you realize how many cups Montreal has??? They were dominant in the 50's as well and you absolutely can not say the same for that decade where teams like Toronto, Chicaco, Detroit, & NY were all very competitive and all of them had their share of HOF'ers.

If it's true at all, its true for the 70's and thats it

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
remember, the 70's was regarded as 'shitty hockey' because it was watered down by the expansion clubs.
I do remember my old man not liking the Flyers because they didn't play the beautiful game that his Habs did.

Even as a 5 and 6 year old, I liked the rough and tumble game of the Bruins and Flyers much better.