• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Christian McCaffrey

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thoughts.......What do we then do with Chris Thompson? I love the concept of upgrading everywhere, I'm not yet ready to do so with our 3rd down back yet. Too many other holes to fill.

Second thoughts....about that "white" RB, Stanford's colors are white on white, ours Burgundy and gold, so he would lose his "whiteness" in favor of our colors right?:D

McCaffery is a good player, just not what we need right now.
I appreciate your fondness for Chris Thompson, but he's been on the Skins roster for 4 years, and he's accumulated 584 yard rushing and 616 yards receiving (despite being labelled a 3rd down back), and a lot of those yards were on 3rd and long where he'd get about 10 yards when they needed 15. I would bet the refund on our president's tax return that McCaffrey will top those numbers in his rookie year. I wouldn't pick McCaffery at 17, but Thompson doesn't fit in the reasoning, imo.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate your fondness for Chris Thompson, but he's been on the Skins roster for 4 years, and he's accumulated 584 yard rushing and 616 yards receiving (despite being labelled a 3rd down back), and a lot of those yards were on 3rd and long where he'd get about 10 yards when they needed 15. I would bet the refund on our president's tax return that McCaffrey will top those numbers in his rookie year. I wouldn't pick McCaffery at 17, but Thompson doesn't fit in the reasoning, imo.

I'm not clear on the "Thompson doesn't fit in the reasoning" line but my best guess is that you don't see McCaffery as a third down back in this offense. If that's it, then we completely disagree. Yes he would be a big upgrade over Thompson, but IMO, he won't take the pounding of an every down guy. BTW: We agree not with #17

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not clear on the "Thompson doesn't fit in the reasoning" line but my best guess is that you don't see McCaffery as a third down back in this offense. If that's it, then we completely disagree. Yes he would be a big upgrade over Thompson, but IMO, he won't take the pounding of an every down guy. BTW: We agree not with #17
Not every down, but you can certainly play him a lot more than Thompson. Feed him the ball 15 to 20 times a game - via air, land or seeya. Line him up at different spots. See New England - Bowl, Super.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some team is going to talk themselves into taking this kid in the first round. My only question is, will it be in the top 20.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's definitely a wild card. If I'm the Skins, I have a talk with McGee and tell him he might be playing nose this year. There is some value at DE with the 17th pick.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not every down, but you can certainly play him a lot more than Thompson. Feed him the ball 15 to 20 times a game - via air, land or seeya. Line him up at different spots. See New England - Bowl, Super.

Yea but that New England Super RB was very Chris Thompsony really.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like McCaffery more of a third down or outside runner. I do have concerns about about him running inside. I feel the same about Cook also a little to small but a dynamic rb. If we are going to draft a rb in this draft, we need a every down back, one who is tough enough to handle the inside the tackles. Jammal Williams, James Conner, Brian Hill, Semaje Perine and few other come to mind. But you know who I prefer :10:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 Mock Draft | NFL Draft Countdown - Part 2

So Kiper and Countdown have us taking C. McCaffrey and McShay has us taking Cook. I think it's safe to say a RB at 17 is a real possibility.

So I will address the elephant in the room. How would you guys feel about drafting a white running back at 17. So many have flamed out in the past, and I think fairly or unfairly that is in some people's mind.

Now I grew up on John Riggins, I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I didn't watch one Stanford game this year. Is this kid the real deal or is he hype? Son of a pro so I'm sure he knows how to be a professional, he killed it at the combine from all accounts and is faster than Cook and has better hands.

Thoughts?

His skin color doesn't matter. If genes matter, then you've got to like his prospects. Everyone knows that his dad was a pro football player, but people should also know that his maternal grandfather is Dave Sime, who was even more impressive as an athlete than Ed McCaffrey, for Dave Sime was an Olympic silver medalist at the 100 meter dash who also held world records during his sprinting career.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea but that New England Super RB was very Chris Thompsony really.
Chris Thompson can't catch like any of the NE backs. His catching radius is tiny.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Thompson can't catch like any of the NE backs. His catching radius is tiny.

Completely disagree. Hes a very solid receiver whos the same size as Dion Lewis and just 2 inches shorter than James White. Catching radius isnt something I would even begin to worry about with any of them.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely disagree. Hes a very solid receiver whos the same size as Dion Lewis and just 2 inches shorter than James White. Catching radius isnt something I would even begin to worry about with any of them.

~Post disclaimer~

This post is not directed singularly at you, but yours was convenient as one to reply to in this instance

~End disclaimer, begin post~

Im starting to see alot of talking up of the RBs we do have. Might this be us as a group trying to convince ourselves that we dont need to or shouldnt consider a RB at 17 depending on who is there. I know some have beat the drum that RB is just not a position worthy of a first round pick in todays NFL. And i agree there have been some notable over drafts of RBs in the first round, although aide from the kids the Browns drafted and then traded, Im drawing a blank. But I have also always thought that first round pick should be a player that will come in and barring Injury, dramatically improve the team as a whole.

I get it, our defense sucks moose dong covered in Godiva chocolate at the moment. And we need to add talent on that side of the ball. But we have to admit, the offense is still going to have to carry this team for a couple of years. So if we are basically forcing the defensive pick for the sake of saying we have to improve the defense.... Well lets just say that screams of need over BPA.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've seen him barely miss too many catches that most "3rd down backs" would/should catch.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
~Post disclaimer~

This post is not directed singularly at you, but yours was convenient as one to reply to in this instance

~End disclaimer, begin post~

Im starting to see alot of talking up of the RBs we do have. Might this be us as a group trying to convince ourselves that we dont need to or shouldnt consider a RB at 17 depending on who is there. I know some have beat the drum that RB is just not a position worthy of a first round pick in todays NFL. And i agree there have been some notable over drafts of RBs in the first round, although aide from the kids the Browns drafted and then traded, Im drawing a blank. But I have also always thought that first round pick should be a player that will come in and barring Injury, dramatically improve the team as a whole.

I get it, our defense sucks moose dong covered in Godiva chocolate at the moment. And we need to add talent on that side of the ball. But we have to admit, the offense is still going to have to carry this team for a couple of years. So if we are basically forcing the defensive pick for the sake of saying we have to improve the defense.... Well lets just say that screams of need over BPA.

Comparing Chris Thompson to James White isnt talking him up. Its accurate but not super impressive. Thompson is a solid player who does his role well. Obviously hes not some amazing player or 3 down back. Maybe some people are talking our RBs up but I have yet to see it. We have a couple guys who are decent pros and can do their jobs. We dont have complete trash at the position (which is how I think too many people view it).

As for RB busts in the 1st round off the top of my head
- Reggie Bush
- CJ Spiller
- TRich

Meh 1st round RBs off the top of my head
- Mark Ingram
- Doug Martin
- DWill
- JStew

Good first round RBs off the top of my head
- AP
- Zeke

Theres certainly mixed results there (as with any position).

Saying our defense is so bad that our offense will have to carry us anyways is a bad reason not to improve the defense.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Chris Thompson to James White isnt talking him up. Its accurate but not super impressive. Thompson is a solid player who does his role well. Obviously hes not some amazing player or 3 down back. Maybe some people are talking our RBs up but I have yet to see it. We have a couple guys who are decent pros and can do their jobs. We dont have complete trash at the position (which is how I think too many people view it).

As for RB busts in the 1st round off the top of my head
- Reggie Bush
- CJ Spiller
- TRich

Meh 1st round RBs off the top of my head
- Mark Ingram
- Doug Martin
- DWill
- JStew

Good first round RBs off the top of my head
- AP
- Zeke

Theres certainly mixed results there (as with any position).

Saying our defense is so bad that our offense will have to carry us anyways is a bad reason not to improve the defense.

IM just pointing out that saying our defense is so bad that we shouldnt even consider anything other than a defensive player in the first round is flawed logic. I think there is a better than even chance the best player available to us at 17 will actually be a RB or WR. And depending on what you think of a couple of them, it might even be QB. Throw in the fact that as is usually the norm, this draft is deeper in defense than offense, and Im just saying I wouldnt take RB or WR for that matter off the board. And the only reasons I take QB off the board is because none of the top prospects really impress me, and the fact that taking a QB would serve to simply throw the locker room into more possible disorder. If Im going to make that move, it needs to be for a guy who fits our offense, not one that we are either going to have to fit the offense around, or hope that he can adjust to what we got.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His catch rate is higher than both Lewis' and Whites's though
In my Iverson voice - "You talkin about dumpoffs?" White actually runs routes and goes downfield for mid-range catches. Thompson doesn't. And Edelman's basically filled that role in the past - though he's turned into a WR.

Lewis is a better comparison to Thompson - and he's not a particularly good receiver, imo.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is thinking Gio...he is thinking 2nd round.

Was just talking about style not ability. Most feel you can get RBs in later rounds. I have no disagreement there.