• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Ash named the new Rutgers coach

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we don't botch his replacement like we did with Herman. PLEASE don't promote Fickel.

PISCATAWAY — A week ago, most Rutgersfans had never heard of Pat Hobbs or Chris Ash. Fast forward seven days, Hobbs and Ash are occupying the most prominent positions in Rutgers' athletic department.

Rutgers president Robert Barchi decided to overhaul the athletic department late in a dismal 4-8 football season that was marred by off-field controversies. Last Sunday, Barchi began the restructuring with the firings of athletic director Julie Hermann andfootball coach Kyle Flood.

Immediately, Barchi announced that Hobbs would take over as athletic director. Before he could even settle into his new office, Hobbs set out on a search for a new football coach.

Hobbs had no experience making such a hire in the high stakes world of college football, but he was confident that he was up to making the legacy-defining hire in the first week of his tenure. Hobbs led a quiet search with very few rumors surfacing about potential candidates.

Then, with speculation building and fans growing anxious, Hobbs decided on Saturday to make Ash the head football coach. The 41-year-old Ohio State defensive coordinator, who is expected to be officially introduced on Monday, has no head coaching experience. So, Rutgers will be starting a new era with two fresh faces.

Here is all of NJ.com's coverage of Ash's hiring from Saturday:

Rutgers to hire Chris Ash as head coach

Ohio State writer explains why Chris Ash is ready for job

Rutgers recruits react to Ash's hiring

It all started for Ash when his car broke down on the way to Princeton

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez endorses Ash

Rutgers' NFL alums react to Ash's hiring

5 quotes that define Ash

Rutgers rolls the dice again with unproven Ash | Politi

VOTE: What do you think of Ash's hiring?

What you should know about Ash

Ash to be introduced Monday as head coach

The inside story on how Pat Hobbs became Rutgers' AD
Everything you need to know about Rutgers' hiring of coach Chris Ash

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we don't botch his replacement like we did with Herman. PLEASE don't promote Fickel.

Everything you need to know about Rutgers' hiring of coach Chris Ash
Here me out here. If this was me and making a decision on the situation. I promote Larry Johnson ASAP, for a few reasons. We have some very solid recruits on the Defense that are close to decision time and Ash and Johnson have been on the recruiting trail for a couple of them, mainly DB and DT. AFter promoting LJ I look outside for a up and coming DB coach and DL coach to replace LJ. Keep Fickell where he is at. Give that turd Beck one more year to fix his BS playbook. Urbs won't pull the plug for one season, especially if we steamroll ND in the Fiesta Bowl. My two cents folks.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read on the 11W skully this morning that Chris Ash is recruiting...for Rutgers. Kinda seems a little strange given that he hasn't left the staff yet. So, if he commits a recruiting violation, it goes against Rutgers right?

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read on the 11W skully this morning that Chris Ash is recruiting...for Rutgers. Kinda seems a little strange given that he hasn't left the staff yet. So, if he commits a recruiting violation, it goes against Rutgers right?
yep

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rough day for us on the recruiting trail. Jackson to Auburn and Kareem Walker is now joining our arch rival scUM.:L
Why is it so tough to recruit a top notch DT for us? Gary is pretty much a lock for scUM.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rough day for us on the recruiting trail. Jackson to Auburn and Kareem Walker is now joining our arch rival scUM.:L
Why is it so tough to recruit a top notch DT for us? Gary is pretty much a lock for scUM.

Ya, the lack of DT recruits is kind of concerning. Might need to find that diamond in the rough in the coming years.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT's have always been our problem it seems like. All the good ones seem to be grown in the south and it's hard to get them to leave.

Luckily we have the best DL coach in football. I think we may take some guys at other positions and try to convert them to the DLine.