• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Chiefs vs Broncos

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Garrppolo going to the 9'ers, maybe the door for some team to go get Cousins has opened a bit. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the Broncos being that team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rewatching some highlights from last nights game and is it just me or is Derrick Johnson really looking old out there? He made a couple of plays but he was also washed out or out of place on a lot of plays.

Eventually Chiefs are going to have to stop teams from just rushing the ball up the middle. Maybe its scheme. Maybe its to make up for some of their issues in the secondary but it seems like once the RB gets passed the Chiefs line then the other team just runs wild.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rewatching some highlights from last nights game and is it just me or is Derrick Johnson really looking old out there? He made a couple of plays but he was also washed out or out of place on a lot of plays.

Eventually Chiefs are going to have to stop teams from just rushing the ball up the middle. Maybe its scheme. Maybe its to make up for some of their issues in the secondary but it seems like once the RB gets passed the Chiefs line then the other team just runs wild.

missing Eric Berry seems to be a bigger and bigger issue every game imo...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
missing Eric Berry seems to be a bigger and bigger issue every game imo...
The Dime defense we're running looks pretty shot against the run to me. Sorenson is just an abomination as a run defender and the DL doesn't consist of three incredible hulks to rotate in there; and Jones is only Hulkish some of the time due to playing high. Sorenson is easily the worst run defender [cataclysmically bad] on the team, and that's quickly becoming a non-exclusive club. Johnson looks like he's consistently running in a morass. Ragland often looks like he's still not quite sure what to do, and with his skillset that's a big no-no though I do think he has a chance at improvement. On the 2nd level, KC might have the worst run defense in the league, scheme or not, and it's a group with Houston in it technically. That's not good with how dependent this defense is on that 2nd level.

Sorenson is so unplayable as a LB in the run game it may just be preferable to insert Eligwe in there for Sorenson's LB snaps. More athletic than Ragland, but has the ability to be taken at least somewhat seriously as a linebacker. Not sure how far along he is like Kpassagnon (who got his first live snaps it looks like) but I would have to think we're nearing that discussion with the bye coming up.

Hali is practicing it looks like, so that could help a bit even if indirectly, but the ILB's are really something else between Sorenson (sigh) an old Derrick Johnson, and an inexperienced Ragland. Meanwhile Ramik and Eligwe exist in the ether; and I am not sure if anyone sees Pierre-Louis as a potential solution. If the ILB's are bad, I am not sure what we can do to stop the run without compromising the defense's identity.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dime defense we're running looks pretty shot against the run to me. Sorenson is just an abomination as a run defender and the DL doesn't consist of three incredible hulks to rotate in there; and Jones is only Hulkish some of the time due to playing high. Sorenson is easily the worst run defender [cataclysmically bad] on the team, and that's quickly becoming a non-exclusive club. Johnson looks like he's consistently running in a morass. Ragland often looks like he's still not quite sure what to do, and with his skillset that's a big no-no though I do think he has a chance at improvement. On the 2nd level, KC might have the worst run defense in the league, scheme or not, and it's a group with Houston in it technically. That's not good with how dependent this defense is on that 2nd level.

Sorenson is so unplayable as a LB in the run game it may just be preferable to insert Eligwe in there for Sorenson's LB snaps. More athletic than Ragland, but has the ability to be taken at least somewhat seriously as a linebacker. Not sure how far along he is like Kpassagnon (who got his first live snaps it looks like) but I would have to think we're nearing that discussion with the bye coming up.

Hali is practicing it looks like, so that could help a bit even if indirectly, but the ILB's are really something else between Sorenson (sigh) an old Derrick Johnson, and an inexperienced Ragland. Meanwhile Ramik and Eligwe exist in the ether; and I am not sure if anyone sees Pierre-Louis as a potential solution. If the ILB's are bad, I am not sure what we can do to stop the run without compromising the defense's identity.
I just went over to PFF and they had Derrick Johnson with a lower grade than Trevor Simian. Its that bad.

Sorenson is good at what he does but he is pretty embarrassing in the run game. That said, even if you go back to the Steelers game DJ was just as bad. The TV announcers did a good job at pointing out when those 2 missed on plays and they were a bit shocked to see DJ get beat.

Ragland or KPass are going to have to learn the nuances at some point this season. Pierre-Louis seemed to have 'QB Spy' detail against the Texans IIRC but he is pretty raw overall. Eligwe might be somewhere in the mix.

Chiefs are catching a massive break with Zeke not playing for Dallas. Still, the Dallas Oline will find a way to punish what the Chiefs are bringing out at the moment.

KC easily won a game where they gave up 177 yards rushing, threw a pick in the endzone and went 2/10 on 3rd down. Thats not going to happen again all season so they need to shore some things up.

On the plus side, Kelce, Justin Houston and Mitchell Schwartz really seem to be issues for the Broncos.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stuff like this makes me think the run D is primarily a LB issue when normalizing for scheme. Ragland SHOULD be able to completely destroy this play and hit very hard while doing so at that. Gets washed. Ragland has time to develop and improve, but I am not so sure Wilson ain't better this very second at the easy stuff.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stuff like this makes me think the run D is primarily a LB issue when normalizing for scheme. Ragland SHOULD be able to completely destroy this play and hit very hard while doing so at that. Gets washed. Ragland has time to develop and improve, but I am not so sure Wilson ain't better this very second at the easy stuff.
Yeah, thats the time of play that needs to get blown up for a 1 yd gain or no gain.

First play for the Broncos is :15 in and you see Ragland crash into the line and DJ is doing a dance. As best as I can tell he is out of place and then loses the runner and then is never in his gap at all. Thats really bad.

At 5:45 he bites on a play action fake and is completely done on a play. End up jogging slowly while the Broncos get a big play. The very next play you see DJ get completely wiped out and the Broncos go up the middle untouched for a TD. He looks completely gassed at that point.