• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charlie Strong to Texas

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read "White" Mamba's post. He wrote pre-1970 and I gave him 2 instances. Get it? He was wrong and can't admit it. In fact, he decided to 'disagree' with facts. SMH.

I realize that many posters hate Texas. Does your hate make you not comprehend the totality of statements?

You are smart enough to read, spend some time correlating the facts. You're embarrassing yourself.

It's possible I should learn to let lies written by others undisputed, but EVIL TRIUMPHS when good people are silent. ... and yes LIES/FALSEHOODS are EVIL.
I don't have a problem with UT in the least. My brother in law is a huge Longhorn fan and we watch and root for each others teams.

You were clearly trying to present DKR and the UT program in a different light. I presented facts and comparative schools. If presenting facts is embarrassing then..... I do think people embarrass themselves when they act pompous. But I suppose that's just my opinion.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with UT in the least. My brother in law is a huge Longhorn fan and we watch and root for each others teams.

You were clearly trying to present DKR and the UT program in a different light. I presented facts and comparative schools. If presenting facts is embarrassing then..... I do think people embarrass themselves when they act pompous. But I suppose that's just my opinion.

smh.

"White" Mamba wrote pre-1970. Get it, pre-1970! I wrote of 2 instances that happened prior to 1970 where he was wrong and he couldn't admit it.

You were merely stirring the pot and I didn't dispute your facts, only you ignoring how "White"Mamba was wrong, but you chose to ignore his incorrect statement.

... and really are you ignoring how in 1987 the Committee Against Racism was formed to confront Lincoln resident Larry Trapp as he was forming a new KKK chapter? This was less than 16 years ago, not 40 or 90 years. I also notice that Nebraska has also never had a black football HC.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry it is something you disagree with. This DKR and Texas thing with the stadium named after him is something I have had an issue with for a long time.

I have done my readings about it and have formed my opinion years ago.

It wont change any time soon, and when his name comes up or a potential black HC @ Texas comes up I will voice my opinion.

I hope they do end up with an AA coach so I can let it go. That or change the name of the stadium.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Integration didnt only occur because it was right, but because the Texas program could no longer ignore that its competition was getting better because they were drawing from a larger pool of athletes.

Then the fans and media with starry tear filled eyes as Texas lines up in the wishbone for a game after DKR's death.... Made me want to puke.

Until Texas' past is dealt with honestly by the UT fans and media how can you expect to deal with its future?

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smh.

"White" Mamba wrote pre-1970. Get it, pre-1970! I wrote of 2 instances that happened prior to 1970 where he was wrong and he couldn't admit it.

You were merely stirring the pot and I didn't dispute your facts, only you ignoring how "White"Mamba was wrong, but you chose to ignore his incorrect statement.

... and really are you ignoring how in 1987 the Committee Against Racism was formed to confront Lincoln resident Larry Trapp as he was forming a new KKK chapter? This was less than 16 years ago, not 40 or 90 years. I also notice that Nebraska has also never had a black football HC.
Nice deflection? We were talking football programs, UT specifically. Grow up. Racist pieces of shit exist in every state, that's not a revelation.

So, two schollies offered between '68-'70? Got it. First black player to take the field was '70, 5-6 years after other Texas regent schools.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article I always believe summed it up nicely.

DKR realized late in his life he was wrong. Whittier (the 1st AA Longhorn) also points out Texas allowed black players to level the playing field.

a piece of the article below

Royal faced charges of racism for Texas’ belated use of black players. In 1970, Julius Whittier became the first African-American letterman to play for the Longhorns.

“We should have done it a lot sooner,” Royal said in “Coach Royal: Conversations With a Texas Football Legend,” written with John Wheat. “That had to change eventually, and thank goodness it did.”

Royal was not like some coaches “who made it their goal to make sure college football stayed white,” Whittier told Terry Frei in “Horns, Hogs and Nixon Coming: Texas vs. Arkansas in Dixie’s Last Stand.” “I didn’t see that in Coach Royal. Not that he was some big social revolutionary or anything, but I think he recognized that to stay where we were, we were going to have to use black athletes.”

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my last post on this thread and I have not read any posts since my last post, nor will I read any responses.

It is the belief of some that because a racism culture existed pre-1970 at UT Charlie Strong would not be a candidate for the Head Coaching job, nor hired.
If this were true, it would be true for other prominent Universities in Texas. Texas A&M had a similar culture(but some of them would write that UT was more liberal/progressive and always has been) and yet 40+ years later(pre-1970) in December of 2011 he was hired as the first black Football Head Coach. If it could happen at A&M, it could happen at Texas.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he absorbed anything from this thread.

Strong would be the first black HC at UT, but I don't think his race is going to be much of a factor in the school's decision.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article I always believe summed it up nicely.

DKR realized late in his life he was wrong. Whittier (the 1st AA Longhorn) also points out Texas allowed black players to level the playing field.

a piece of the article below

Royal faced charges of racism for Texas’ belated use of black players. In 1970, Julius Whittier became the first African-American letterman to play for the Longhorns.

“We should have done it a lot sooner,” Royal said in “Coach Royal: Conversations With a Texas Football Legend,” written with John Wheat. “That had to change eventually, and thank goodness it did.”

Royal was not like some coaches “who made it their goal to make sure college football stayed white,” Whittier told Terry Frei in “Horns, Hogs and Nixon Coming: Texas vs. Arkansas in Dixie’s Last Stand.” “I didn’t see that in Coach Royal. Not that he was some big social revolutionary or anything, but I think he recognized that to stay where we were, we were going to have to use black athletes.”

I see 0 evidence of racism in that article. Actually seems contrary. DKR and many other coaches simply kept quiet. You can claim that to be racism, but I doubt many people would have actually stood up and done something. The fact that it dragged on in the south for many yrs validates my opinion. Coaches had a lot to lose. They were pillars in the community. Paid well for their times. Would you risk the safety of your family and your lifestyle for this? Pretty easy to say yes 50 yrs later behind a computer, but I seriously doubt many would.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he absorbed anything from this thread.

Strong would be the first black HC at UT, but I don't think his race is going to be much of a factor in the school's decision.
-
UT has had black HC, just not in football. Should we list the Universities that have never had a black coach HC? That list is going to be very long and includes the schools from the people talking about UT racism.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is claiming DKR was an overt racist or hate monger of any kind. But to not acknowledge that he and the Texas program lagged behind their counterparts at other Texas Regent schools is a bit foolish.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
UT has had black HC, just not in football. Should we list the Universities that have never had a black coach HC? That list is going to be very long and includes the schools from the people talking about UT racism.
Again with the deflection? And the subject was the UT football program. You guys sure are defensive today.

So make any lists you'd like. I really don't care.

*Also, my team's first black player was in the 1800s and the first black captain of our football team was in 1962. Since you're probably looking stuff up right now. Don't know whether UNL has ever had a black coach in any sport.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry it is something you disagree with. This DKR and Texas thing with the stadium named after him is something I have had an issue with for a long time.

I have done my readings about it and have formed my opinion years ago.

It wont change any time soon, and when his name comes up or a potential black HC @ Texas comes up I will voice my opinion.

I hope they do end up with an AA coach so I can let it go. That or change the name of the stadium.

Please list the # of black head football coaches Oregon has hired. I'll wait......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again with the deflection? And the subject was the UT football program. You guys sure are defensive today.

So make any lists you'd like. I really don't care.

*Also, my team's first black player was in the 1800s and the first black captain of our football team was in 1962. Since you're probably looking stuff up right now. Don't know whether UNL has ever had a black coach in any sport.
-
How is it deflecting by mentioning that Texas has hired African American head coaches? You were pting out Texas never hired a African American HC. I was simply pointing out that is the case for about 900% of FBS and not really a valid pt.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough of the racism talk, K?

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
How is it deflecting by mentioning that Texas has hired African American head coaches? You were pting out Texas never hired a African American HC. I was simply pointing out that is the case for about 900% of FBS and not really a valid pt.
I was also saying that I don't think that race is a factor for Texas when considering coaches. Which I clearly stated...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is claiming DKR was an overt racist or hate monger of any kind. But to not acknowledge that he and the Texas program lagged behind their counterparts at other Texas Regent schools is a bit foolish.
-
That is not the intention of Mamba. HE is attacking the man himself, not the culture of much of the south at the time. It is a black mark on the history of the US. Calling a man a racist is a bit over the top. There is not doubt the SWC and SEC as a whole was well behind the nation, but anyone with an IQ over 50 knew that.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel like checking on this thread all day. Moving it to the toilet bowl. Continue on if you want or stay out of it.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
That is not the intention of Mamba. HE is attacking the man himself, not the culture of much of the south at the time. It is a black mark on the history of the US. Calling a man a racist is a bit over the top. There is not doubt the SWC and SEC as a whole was well behind the nation, but anyone with an IQ over 50 knew that.
My last post pertaining to race. I don't claim to know what Mamba's intentions are or were, but I took it to mean that he believed DKR was too passive when it came to racial inequality, but not necessarily an overt racist himself.