• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charlie Strong let the black man down

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Icon Sportswire / Getty
Strong feels he let down black coaches with shaky Texas tenure
Alex Chippin Jan 19, 2017 11:53 AM
There was never a shortage of pressure on Charlie Strong at Texas, but at least some of it was self-inflicted, as he attempted to represent African-American coaches all over the country.

"When you're the first minority coach at a major university like that, you feel like there's so many people counting on you," Strong told Stewart Mandel of FOX Sports. "I got upset at myself for not being successful, and I got upset at myself because you feel like you let a lot of people down."

Strong, who went 16-21 with the Longhorns, was fired at the end of his third campaign.

He quickly resurfaced at South Florida, where he's looking to build on the solid foundation left behind by Willie Taggart, who vacated the post to take Oregon's coaching job.

"I have no regrets," Strong said while reflecting on his stint at Texas. "OK, it happened, it's a lesson learned. Now that you have the opportunity here at South Florida, go make it the best job."

The Bulls' job comes with far less pressure, and while it also may boast less upside, it could also help Strong return to the national spotlight soon. South Florida posted an 11-2 record last season and is poised to begin the 2017 campaign as a popular pick to reach a New Year's Six bowl game.

Well that might explain why he failed. Worried about shit that don't matter. Represent yourself and your school and don't worry about the rest.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he doesn't have any regrets. We're still paying him for sucking....

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Herman wears grilles. Does that count?

image.jpg

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie Taggart, James Franklin, the guy from Navy, and David Shaw seem to be doing just fine. And 3 of those are prestigious colleges by recognition in Penn State, Stanford, and Navy. So I'm not buying it.

Besides, who gives a fuck what color the coach is? If the man can win championships, games, and develop NFL talent, that's the best man for the job. If Strong went in trying to represent black coaches at Texas, then that's why he failed miserably. Had he went there to win games, he may have actually won games.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie Taggart, James Franklin, the guy from Navy, and David Shaw seem to be doing just fine. And 3 of those are prestigious colleges by recognition in Penn State, Stanford, and Navy. So I'm not buying it.

Besides, who gives a fuck what color the coach is? If the man can win championships, games, and develop NFL talent, that's the best man for the job. If Strong went in trying to represent black coaches at Texas, then that's why he failed miserably. Had he went there to win games, he may have actually won games.

End/Thread Winner ^^^

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taggart hasn't coached in P5
Stanford and Navy aren't Bluebloods
Franklin was on the hot seat until the OSU game
We can act like it doesn't matter, but there hasn't been an African American coach that has won a NC. Strong had the opportunity and resources to change that. Eventually that will change and maybe then people won't say black coach. 10-15 years ago people said "black QB", now it's just QB...(or dual threat)

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taggart hasn't coached in P5
Stanford and Navy aren't Bluebloods
Franklin was on the hot seat until the OSU game
We can act like it doesn't matter, but there hasn't been an African American coach that has won a NC. Strong had the opportunity and resources to change that. Eventually that will change and maybe then people won't say black coach. 10-15 years ago people said "black QB", now it's just QB...(or dual threat)
OU, Texas, notre dame. All have had black coaches and they all sucked ass. Resources were there. Arguably you could say Blake was the least advantaged due to OU coming off years of probation and shit coaching but his players won a title two years removed.

However the NFL has had success with black coaches winning the super bowl. The truth is these coaches were not that great and thus we have examples of feel good PC hires over what's needed. Will be interesting to see what Herman does with Strongs recruits. I'll bet he beats Kansas.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm going to be honest and say I was unaware that Franklin was Black. My ancestry is about as WASPY as they come, but I live in Florida and I'm about two shades darker on the color spectrum than he is.

I do however know that the guy from Navy is Polynesian, which makes him about as African as me.

All that being said David Shaw would be a top 5 coach if he was blue.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#TyWillingham

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see where Strong is coming from, but I also think he set the bar too high for himself by going to TX right after a short stint at Louisville. I've been following him since he was DC with my USC Gamecocks. His units always outperformed Lou Holtz's putrid offense. Hurt when I saw him go to Florida and was surprised it took so long for him to land a head coaching gig. I was in Louisville when he got that job and he really turned it around and put them on the map again, making people forget about the Kragthorpe era. However, he did get frustrated a time or two because of people not showing up to games (he should know that Louisville is a basketball school first, football second). Tennessee came calling at one point and I thought there was good possibility he would go there. He has strong recruiting ties in Florida and is an SEC guy at heart. When he took the job at Texas, I knew right away it was a bad decision. The pressure would be too much, he's never recruited in TX and the Big 12 is way different from the SEC. I think he will do amazing things at USF. Lower profile school and back in Florida where he knows best.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see where Strong is coming from, but I also think he set the bar too high for himself by going to TX right after a short stint at Louisville. I've been following him since he was DC with my USC Gamecocks. His units always outperformed Lou Holtz's putrid offense. Hurt when I saw him go to Florida and was surprised it took so long for him to land a head coaching gig. I was in Louisville when he got that job and he really turned it around and put them on the map again, making people forget about the Kragthorpe era. However, he did get frustrated a time or two because of people not showing up to games (he should know that Louisville is a basketball school first, football second). Tennessee came calling at one point and I thought there was good possibility he would go there. He has strong recruiting ties in Florida and is an SEC guy at heart. When he took the job at Texas, I knew right away it was a bad decision. The pressure would be too much, he's never recruited in TX and the Big 12 is way different from the SEC. I think he will do amazing things at USF. Lower profile school and back in Florida where he knows best.

Just a rumor that I heard. Strong was going to take the Tennessee job, until they told him Clint Hurt could not come. That changed his decision. Strong thought Texas was too big to turn down, even if it meant no Hurt. Supposedly he policed the coaching staff for Strong and was his right hand man. Sometimes an assistant can be vital to a HCs success

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HATE it when every successful black dude feels the need to bring race into it and proclaim himself some kind of leader for "his people." It screams affirmative action...as if something should have to do with it all except merit and ability to win.

Charlie is great people. It's too bad he polluted his own head with crap and fucked-up his big chance.

When you start believing you're more than you are, you become less than you were hoped to be. -- JtG

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a rumor that I heard. Strong was going to take the Tennessee job, until they told him Clint Hurt could not come. That changed his decision. Strong thought Texas was too big to turn down, even if it meant no Hurt. Supposedly he policed the coaching staff for Strong and was his right hand man. Sometimes an assistant can be vital to a HCs success
Especially when that assistant (Hurt) is a big fat cheat. Amazing how Charlie Strong forgot how to coach once Hurt was out of the picture. The guy is over rated as a HC, just not good. Good DC? Sure, Nice guy? Seems like it, sure but as a HC?... Nope

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially when that assistant (Hurt) is a big fat cheat. Amazing how Charlie Strong forgot how to coach once Hurt was out of the picture. The guy is over rated as a HC, just not good. Good DC? Sure, Nice guy? Seems like it, sure but as a HC?... Nope

Hurt is doing well in the NFL and he is not coming back. Guy is a killer coach, but more importantly he was supposedly the coaching staff's cop. Most of Charlie's issues at Texas came from managing his staff. Multiple reports of infighting (like separating coaches on the practice field fighting) among staff members during his tenure.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're looking at you Franchione......once Gary Patterson left Fran, ol Franny went to shit.....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're looking at you Franchione......once Gary Patterson left Fran, ol Franny went to shit.....
Old Colorado coach also. He killed it at BSU with Peterson, not so much after. Happens alot. Sometimes the head man isn't the best man.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care, I just the 'Horns to win again. Hopefully Herman's the man. If not, we'll try someone else.

I liked CS. But obviously, managing a staff, or timeouts in a game, are not his strong suit. But it's water under the bridge now, wasted 3 years I dont have to waste, dammit.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just an aside on the Herman thought above: he may just indeed be the MAN. Just hired away an Alabama behind-the-scenes guy...UH OH.