• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers' Mike Williams to Potentially Miss Season with Back Problems

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
leo th
Facts are fine - they used three low first rounders on 2RB and a WR. In the last 8 years - and have had one complete season (2013) to show for it so far. Bad return...
eybused 3/8 picks on skill positions, yet u think they waste picks on offensive skill positions consistently

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
leo theybused 3/8 picks on skill positions, yet u think they waste picks on offensive skill positions consistently

Yes, I do... that's three times too many for the top half of the 1st round.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik Hooker>>>>Mike Williams

Today was listening to Chris Simms' podcast. He said that the Chargers actually were planning on drafting Watson but when they told Philip Rivers he told them he would quit the team if they did it so they decided to go with Williams instead.

I do agree Hooker would have been a much better choice. Fits a bigger need for the team and I have Hooker well above Williams in my rankings this past year. I never was a big Williams fan before the injury.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today was listening to Chris Simms' podcast. He said that the Chargers actually were planning on drafting Watson but when they told Philip Rivers he told them he would quit the team if they did it so they decided to go with Williams instead.

I do agree Hooker would have been a much better choice. Fits a bigger need for the team and I have Hooker well above Williams in my rankings this past year. I never was a big Williams fan before the injury.
Wow. That surprises me a bit, but maybe that would be the final straw for him. Some QB's take to that better than others. Would explain why the Chargers haven't gotten a serious replacement yet.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the hell else would he say to management, " oh by the way Phillip, we know we suck at drafting your protection, or any weapons to help you out, but we are thinking about draft a younger QB? " Thoughts?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell else would he say to management, " oh by the way Phillip, we know we suck at drafting your protection, or any weapons to help you out, but we are thinking about draft a younger QB? " Thoughts?

Not saying he shouldn't say those things. Just that the rumors are this is what happened when asked about it. Yeah it would be tough to see the team I'm busting my butt for my entire career that is now playing in a city I didn't want to play in saying they are going to use a premium pick on a QB that will ride the bench for a year or two then take my job.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To bad for the Chargers. Had them picked to make the playoffs. We'll see what happens here.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he shouldn't say those things. Just that the rumors are this is what happened when asked about it. Yeah it would be tough to see the team I'm busting my butt for my entire career that is now playing in a city I didn't want to play in saying they are going to use a premium pick on a QB that will ride the bench for a year or two then take my job.

No CD I know you weren't saying it negative...

I actually feel bad for Rivers, the guy has been but nothing but professional about the whole San Diego situation.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No CD I know you weren't saying it negative...

I actually feel bad for Rivers, the guy has been but nothing but professional about the whole San Diego situation.

I hated Rivers early on as he had a few times of being a jerk at the end of games mocking fans and other players when he knew his team was going to win. As he has matured I have grown to really respect what he does on the field and just his love and passion for the game. I wish the Chargers would just let him go so that he could go to a team that actually gives him a chance to win a Super Bowl.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated Rivers early on as he had a few times of being a jerk at the end of games mocking fans and other players when he knew his team was going to win. As he has matured I have grown to really respect what he does on the field and just his love and passion for the game. I wish the Chargers would just let him go so that he could go to a team that actually gives him a chance to win a Super Bowl.

I had the same history with him - Rivers really won me over when he played on one leg in the AFCC in Foxboro (with LdT sulking on the bench), extremely gutty performance.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the same history with him - Rivers really won me over when he played on one leg in the AFCC in Foxboro (with LdT sulking on the bench), extremely gutty performance.

Yeah that is about the same time I changed my opinion. One of the gutsiest performances I have ever seen.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same sad-sack Chargers - but's it's their own damn fault. For some reason they continue to draft offensive skill positions with low first round picks, it's sheer stupidity. Draft the lines with those picks and get skill positions later on...

How many first round picks are they going to waste on injury prone RBs and WRs before they finally figure it out?
I said that for years. Now that I hate them it's not near as frustrating. Just wish they'd trade Rivers so I could cheer for him. I'll have to settle for not watching.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said that for years. Now that I hate them it's not near as frustrating. Just wish they'd trade Rivers so I could cheer for him. I'll have to settle for not watching.

Who's the new team boltfan, Steelers?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts are fine - they used three low first rounders on 2RB and a WR. In the last 8 years - and have had one complete season (2013) to show for it so far. Bad return...

They actually finished 9-7 in 2014, the same record as 2013. And won more games outside the division.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's the new team boltfan, Steelers?
Steelers have always been my B-team. My dad is from Pittsburgh. But it doesn't feel the same as cheering for your hometown team. I'll have to see how the season goes and see who I'm pulling for, but honestly I'm kind of leaving the NFL behind and watching more soccer.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly a shot at the RBs they've drafted in the first round - Oft injured Mathews & Gordon

List of Los Angeles Chargers first-round draft picks - Wikipedia

Lot of recent failure in that list

2 things jumped out at me right away.

Starting in '94 they had one pick in the first round in 7 drafts and it was Leaf. Obviously Beathard traded some to move up but can I assume he continued his pattern of trading a future first for a second on draft day?

I just don't see the pattern of taking skill positions over lineman in the first that was mentioned in this thread. Prior to Williams they took one WR in the first in the last 27 years, no tight ends and just 3 RBs. And one of them was LT. In the last 8 drafts they took 4 lineman and two running backs so they clearly have not ignored the lines.. Williams was a good pick, he is a real game changer and in today's NFL you need impact receivers.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers can't catch a friggn' break. It might be time for them to think about trading Phillip Rivers while he still has value, so they can rebuild.

...Trade him to the 49ers, that is. :hope:

I've always like Rivers...pretty underrated guy who does his best to carry a snakebit franchise, but I wouldn't want him on SF. I'd like to see him either finish his career with the Chargers or go to a place where he can have a legit shot at a SB right now.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things jumped out at me right away.

Starting in '94 they had one pick in the first round in 7 drafts and it was Leaf. Obviously Beathard traded some to move up but can I assume he continued his pattern of trading a future first for a second on draft day?

I just don't see the pattern of taking skill positions over lineman in the first that was mentioned in this thread. Prior to Williams they took one WR in the first in the last 27 years, no tight ends and just 3 RBs. And one of them was LT. In the last 8 drafts they took 4 lineman and two running backs so they clearly have not ignored the lines.. Williams was a good pick, he is a real game changer and in today's NFL you need impact receivers.

Obviously I could have put it better - but the Chargers have really tried finding the next LdT and missed because both guys Mathews and Gordon have been often injured running behind subpar lines. They really would/should have been better served rebuilding by spending premium first round selections on both lines exclusively because athletic linemen are at more of a premium than smaller skill position players (RBs/WRs).

Most complaints from the Charger fans here, mimic this line of thinking.