• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread Cayman Islands Classic (11/20 - 11/22)

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ccccc.jpg

Teams: Cincinnati, Iowa, Louisiana, Wyoming, Buffalo, South Dakota State, Richmond, & UAB

Schedule:
11/20/2017
Louisiana vs Iowa
South Dakota State vs Wyoming
Richmond vs UAB
Buffalo vs Cincinnati

Rest is TBD

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richmond just got destroyed by Jacksonville State. Bummer. Will always have a soft spot for Richmond. I like the A-10, and Wake plays Richmond every year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you made a thread on this...4 months ago. :pound:

Yeah around the time the match ups were made. Made one for all the relevant early season tournaments.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah around the time the match ups were made. Made one for all the relevant early season tournaments.

Yeah, after looking on the first two pages and not seeing it, I just assumed it was free game.

With that being said, this will definitely be an interesting tournament.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, after looking on the first two pages and not seeing it, I just assumed it was free game.

With that being said, this will definitely be an interesting tournament.

It's all good.

And yes, I'm very much looking forward to a possible Cincy/Iowa finals match up. First to 100 could win that game. South Dakota State will be interesting because of Mike Daum, but overall, I don't think they'll put up much of a fight if they play Iowa. Richmond has looked awful thus far, so I think they'll definitely be the worst team in the field. Could have a game between two old C-USA rivals in UAB vs. Cincy.

Wyoming vs. South Dakota State could provide for an intriguing round 1 game.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good.

And yes, I'm very much looking forward to a possible Cincy/Iowa finals match up. First to 100 could win that game. South Dakota State will be interesting because of Mike Daum, but overall, I don't think they'll put up much of a fight if they play Iowa. Richmond has looked awful thus far, so I think they'll definitely be the worst team in the field. Could have a game between two old C-USA rivals in UAB vs. Cincy.

Wyoming vs. South Dakota State could provide for an intriguing round 1 game.

I fully expect Wyoming to get their asses handed to them. I'm honestly not even feeling extremely confident in tonight's against against Oregon State...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richmond just got destroyed by Jacksonville State. Bummer. Will always have a soft spot for Richmond. I like the A-10, and Wake plays Richmond every year.

It's stunning how bad they are this year so far. I think Jax State has the ability to win the OVC(I'd peg
Belmont as the favorites) but to lose by that many and at home no less, is somewhat stunning, given where that program has been the last decade. Just looking at their future OOC schedule they may only win 1 or 2 games OOC.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Wyoming to get their asses handed to them. I'm honestly not even feeling extremely confident in tonight's against against Oregon State...

I think Oregon State is gonna be much better than they were last year. Having Tres Tinkle healthy makes a big difference for them. Plus they added a couple solid 4 stars this year.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's stunning how bad they are this year so far. I think Jax State has the ability to win the OVC(I'd peg
Belmont as the favorites) but to lose by that many and at home no less, is somewhat stunning, given where that program has been the last decade. Just looking at their future OOC schedule they may only win 1 or 2 games OOC.

Their best two players last year were seniors. I went to the Richmond/Wake game last year in Richmond, and man, TJ Cline was such a monster. I would have loved it if he had played next to John Collins.

Richmond fans have been on Mooney for a few years now, and if they don't improve over the course of the season, then that could be it for him.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their best two players last year were seniors. I went to the Richmond/Wake game last year in Richmond, and man, TJ Cline was such a monster. I would have loved it if he had played next to John Collins.

Richmond fans have been on Mooney for a few years now, and if they don't improve over the course of the season, then that could be it for him.

It's really a pretty big decline for what was a pretty hot commodity in coaching circles 6/7 years ago. He probably could have left for any numerous of jobs. Now you're right, he's probably on his way out after this season, especially given what the team across the street has done(VCU). This will be the 7th year in a row Richmond won't make the tournament.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really a pretty big decline for what was a pretty hot commodity in coaching circles 6/7 years ago. He probably could have left for any numerous of jobs. Now you're right, he's probably on his way out after this season, especially given what the team across the street has done(VCU). This will be the 7th year in a row Richmond won't make the tournament.

Yeah, VCU's success has also played a role.

I know that Mooney turned down GT, and I think he publicly stated that he wasn't interested in Wake in 2014, despite Wake showing absolutely zero interest in him.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, VCU's success has also played a role.

I know that Mooney turned down GT, and I think he publicly stated that he wasn't interested in Wake in 2014, despite Wake showing absolutely zero interest in him.

It's always tough for a program like Richmond to fire a guy like Mooney though, because realistically who can they get that will be better? I understand the staleness of the program, but if administration makes a bad hire, they could be dormant. He's 3rd in all-time winning % at Richmond, and that's with him being in their toughest conference all-time. I guess it all depends on how bad it does get. Losing a guy like Cline, who so much was revolved around is tough to replace.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Oregon State is gonna be much better than they were last year. Having Tres Tinkle healthy makes a big difference for them. Plus they added a couple solid 4 stars this year.

Let's be real, they can't be much worse. The only team I've seen be a bottom feeder and unable to ever really improve are the Cleveland Browns.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be real, they can't be much worse. The only team I've seen be a bottom feeder and unable to ever really improve are the Cleveland Browns.

Right, I'm just saying I think last year was more so a fluke because of injuries. The year before they were a tournament team.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always tough for a program like Richmond to fire a guy like Mooney though, because realistically who can they get that will be better? I understand the staleness of the program, but if administration makes a bad hire, they could be dormant. He's 3rd in all-time winning % at Richmond, and that's with him being in their toughest conference all-time. I guess it all depends on how bad it does get. Losing a guy like Cline, who so much was revolved around is tough to replace.

It'll be tough, since they are one year removed from being 13-5 in the A-10. However, if they have a horrific year this year, then they may be able to get away with firing him without too much backlash.

They can also always make it look like a mutual split. Wake did that with Dave Odom, when the reality of it, is that Odom was straight up fired. However, Wake took zero heat for getting rid of a coach that won 2 ACC Tournament titles, had Wake in the post-season every year, and had them solidly in the NCAAT or on the bubble for every year from 1991 to 2001.

On the flip side, NC State's AD did a terrible job of showing public support for Herb Sendek, and when Sendek finally left for Arizona State, State got absolutely hammered in the national media.

It is a tricky situation for Richmond, and one that can easily backfire on Richmond if they don't play their cards right.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Iowas chances in this tourney. Should make the finals and a matchup with the Bearcats would be fun . High 80s , low 90s type game.