• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carnell Lake is Leaving

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea they all sure left a black stain on the resumes of everyone involved. I think Allen & Thomas hurt the most for obvious reasons. A large sum of money for one guy, & a 3rd & 4th Rd draft picks for the other. Neither panned out. Allen hurts the most to me because they let Keenan Lewis (2009 draft pick who was clearly the better player at the time) walk. I had a lot of optimism for Allen since he was younger & more athletic. 1 bad year and the guy's mental aspects of the game just went straight out the door. Quite ironic given his alma matter at The Citadel. You would think that guy would have the mental edge over anyone & anything.

Golson leaves a sour taste only because he couldn't stay healthy. It was evident early on that he was very talented. Albeit we never got to see him play in pads lol.

Yep...each has a story attached. I think for the most part they were just shooting too low, but the tougher ones to see go or fail...Golson because I really thought he was the perfect zone slot defender...never played a snap. C Allen I think was part mental and his legs were never right again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current pool that we've discussed:

1. Corey Raymond
2. Dom Capers
3. Rod Woodson
4. Ray Horton
5. Darren Perry
6. Deshea Townsend
7. Ryan Clark

Ranked them according to how I like them. Raymond seems like a great fit. He doesn't appear to have the defensive philosophy to clash with Tomlin or Butler. Simply put, he produces great results. Capers & Horton both seem like Munchakian-like hires that Tomlin likes, but as we noted before they would clash with Tomlin's desire to run the defense. Woodson seems like a great fit given his ties to the organization. Not much of a track record as a coach, but a youthful presence could rally the young group. I like the idea of it but not sure how well it would work. Perry has a lengthy history at the DB coaching position, both in PIT & elsewhere, and has produced good results. Townsend is another youthful type coach that is trying to get a foot in the door. Same feel as Woodson. Clark was a dark horse type name brought into the discussion. I don't think he has any desire to step away from the cameras so he's not likely to be a name that comes up in the next couple days.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Tom Bradley got the job.

Love it, tom bradley has a wealth of experience teaching defense at every level, i look for big improvement next season with the defensive backs

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly getting rid of him seems like a positive mark in his favor, to be honest.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hometown hire. Wasn't even on my radar. Decent amount of success as a DC. But honestly I'm not very excited about this hire. UCLA has only produced 1 DB in the NFL draft during his tutelage, and it was a 3rd Rd pick last year (Fabian Moreau). And I don't see any names worth a damn from all his years at Penn State. His defenses played well as a unit, but the secondary was never anything special.

Not sure what he brings to the secondary, in particular. Maybe he's a better coach for man coverage schemes? We can only hope its something better than what Lake has accomplished.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hometown hire. Wasn't even on my radar. Decent amount of success as a DC. But honestly I'm not very excited about this hire. UCLA has only produced 1 DB in the NFL draft during his tutelage, and it was a 3rd Rd pick last year (Fabian Moreau). And I don't see any names worth a damn from all his years at Penn State. His defenses played well as a unit, but the secondary was never anything special.

Not sure what he brings to the secondary, in particular. Maybe he's a better coach for man coverage schemes? We can only hope its something better than what Lake has accomplished.

He will be better than Lake.