• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carnell Lake is Leaving

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%.

I trust this was Lake's call, but his seat had to be the warmest of anybody. He got bailed out a little by Colbert landing Haden, but Burns and Davis both struggled more than I expected in yr 2.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I already pegged him firmly to the hot seat. Guess I can take his name off my shit list now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That puts Joey Porter closer to the top of my shit list.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think this may be a move for Tomlin to take more control of the secondary? He has more than 8 years as a DB coach on his resume and his fingerprints are already all over the secondary.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think this may be a move for Tomlin to take more control of the secondary? He has more than 8 years as a DB coach on his resume and his fingerprints are already all over the secondary.

Yep, I think what it sets up for is him to hire a guy that has a some experience but maybe not too much if you know what I mean...my guess is he'll call Woodson.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk how I forgot about Porter, but Lake's seat might have been hotter anyway.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I think what it sets up for is him to hire a guy that has a some experience but maybe not too much if you know what I mean...my guess is he'll call Woodson.
Maybe Ryan Clark wants to get back closer to the field? Hell even Dom Capers is available and has ties to this organization and a lengthy resume as a DB coach in both the NFL & NCAA ranks.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also a name being floated out there is Deshea Townsend. He's an assistant DB coach for the G-Men.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I already pegged him firmly to the hot seat. Guess I can take his name off my shit list now.
He didn't have much talent to work with.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Ryan Clark wants to get back closer to the field? Hell even Dom Capers is available and has ties to this organization and a lengthy resume as a DB coach in both the NFL & NCAA ranks.

Clark? huh? didn't think about him.

Capers might have more experience than Tomlin is comfortable with if he wants to keep his nose in the planning room every week.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't have much talent to work with.
Over the last 3 years alone he has been provided around 7-8 draft picks. Only 1 first round pick though. Two 2nd Rd picks, one 3rd Rder, one 4th, and a 7th.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last 3 years alone he has been provided around 7-8 draft picks. Only 1 first round pick though. Two 2nd Rd picks, one 3rd Rder, one 4th, and a 7th.
I guess the scouting dept. fucked-up.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clark? huh? didn't think about him.

Capers might have more experience than Tomlin is comfortable with if he wants to keep his nose in the planning room every week.
Agreed. Another name, aside from Deshea Townsend, would be Darren Perry. Coached the Steelers DBs from 2003-2006. He was instrumental in Troy P & Chris Hope's emergence. Mike McCarthy opted not to resign him as a safety coach this year. Been with them since 2009. But there is somethin to be said about how awful the GB secondary has been over that span lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Another name, aside from Deshea Townsend, would be Darren Perry. Coached the Steelers DBs from 2003-2006. He was instrumental in Troy P & Chris Hope's emergence. Mike McCarthy opted not to resign him as a safety coach this year. Been with them since 2009. But there is somethin to be said about how awful the GB secondary has been over that span lol.

Capers' stop in GB didn't end well in general so it's hard to say who was the main culprit...but Perry sounds like a winner...maybe Townsend is ready.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the scouting dept. fucked-up.
Fair assessment. With the amount of acquisitions they have put into the secondary over the last decade one would assume its more a failure to develop rather than failure to scout. But nobody other than Keenan Lewis comes to mind as a DB acquired over that timeframe that went anywhere else and played well.

Just looking at recent years:
2017:
3- Cam Sutton... TBD Started off on PUP. Made his way onto the roster. Started 1-2 games at LCB/nickel.
5- CB Brian Allen... TBD Was rostered this year. ST player

2016:
1- CB Burns... TBD Current starter at RCB.
2- S Sean Davis... TBD Current starter at SS

2015:
2- CB Senquez Golson... Currently FA. Got signed by TB last season but cut 1 week later.
4- CB Doran Grant... Currently on the Bears PS.
7- S Gerod Holliman... Playing in the National Arena League.

2014:
5- CB Shaq Richardson... Been bouncing around PS's since he was drafted. Got signed to a reserve/future contract with Oakland this offseason.

2013:
4- S Shamarko Thomas... Special Teams ace for the Jets last I heard.
5- CB Terry Hawthorne... Playing in the CFL

2012:
7- CB Terrence Frederick... Never cracked the lineup. Currently playing in the CFL.

2011:
3- CB Curtis Brown... Last seen on the Jets during the '15 offseason. Hasn't been rostered since.
4- CB Cortez Allen... Started a few seasons, signed to an extension, but ultimately got cut after a few injuries that derailed his career and couldn't crack the starting lineup. This guy was an epic failure from the FO & coaches. Was supposed to be the future of the position after Ike Taylor left.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessment. With the amount of acquisitions they have put into the secondary over the last decade one would assume its more a failure to develop rather than failure to scout. But nobody other than Keenan Lewis comes to mind as a DB acquired over that timeframe that went anywhere else and played well.

2017:
3- Cam Sutton... TBD Started off on PUP. Made his way onto the roster. Started 1-2 games at LCB/nickel.

2016:

2015:
2- CB Senquez Golson... Currently FA. Got signed by TB last season but cut 1 week later.

2014:
5- CB Shaq Richardson... Been bouncing around PS's since he was drafted. Got signed to a reserve/future contract with Oakland this offseason.

2013:

2012:
7- CB Terrence Frederick... Never cracked the lineup. Currently playing in the CFL.

2011:
3- CB Curtis Brown... Last seen on the Jets during the '15 offseason. Hasn't been rostered since.
4- CB Cortez Allen... Started a few seasons, signed to an extension, but ultimately got cut after a few injuries that derailed his career and couldn't crack the starting lineup. This guy was an epic failure from the FO & coaches. Was supposed to be the future of the position after Ike Taylor left.
No questions asked, we need to draft our secondary much better. Fire the entire college talent scout team. Obviously the ones in charge of the secondary scouting fucking suck. There's no excuse for this shit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2017:

2016:

2015:

2014:

2013:

2012:

2011:

Obviously this doesn't look great for Colbert/Tomlin and the secondary scouts, but comparatively speaking...the biggest busts were C Allen, Curtis Brown, Golson, and Shamarko Thomas...all were projected to be starters.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously this doesn't look great for Colbert/Tomlin and the secondary scouts, but comparatively speaking...the biggest busts were C Allen, Curtis Brown, Golson, and Shamarko Thomas...all were projected to be starters.
Yea they all sure left a black stain on the resumes of everyone involved. I think Allen & Thomas hurt the most for obvious reasons. A large sum of money for one guy, & a 3rd & 4th Rd draft picks for the other. Neither panned out. Allen hurts the most to me because they let Keenan Lewis (2009 draft pick who was clearly the better player at the time) walk. I had a lot of optimism for Allen since he was younger & more athletic. 1 bad year and the guy's mental aspects of the game just went straight out the door. Quite ironic given his alma matter at The Citadel. You would think that guy would have the mental edge over anyone & anything.

Golson leaves a sour taste only because he couldn't stay healthy. It was evident early on that he was very talented. Albeit we never got to see him play in pads lol.